Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Rolling round crying like babies is not football"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hopefully, Scott McTominay delivers the same message to Bruno Fernandes when he gets back to Manchester...

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I’m afraid it is though nowadays… We’ve got a few.
All teams have them. This side of the game has got progressively worse over the last few years. When we played at the Goldstone can`t remember such antics !!

Brian Horton, Paul Clark , Steve Foster can you remember them rolling round in agony ??

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Don't knock these poor little darlings that roll around in agony, it's how fulham scout their players!
I'd pay money to watch a few of them get taken out by the likes of Hunter, Harris, Keane, Case and any of the other 'solid' defenders!

There would be seepage:cool:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Knockaert used to the be the prime one. Who is the worst now? Pedro?

Dunk? :lol:

Probably. Mitoma went thru a patch of gravity issues last season which annoyed the hell out of me. Pervis can also be a bit gravity deficienct sometimes as can Enciso.

Yes it's part of the modern game but there are players who push the boundaries even further. Looking at you SEGW, Fernandez, Kane......

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Dunk? :lol:

Probably. Mitoma went thru a patch of gravity issues last season which annoyed the hell out of me. Pervis can also be a bit gravity deficienct sometimes as can Enciso.

Yes it's part of the modern game but there are players who push the boundaries even further. Looking at you SEGW, Fernandez, Kane......
Mitoma had gravity issues, but he wasn't / isn't one for rolling around pretending to be injured.

Enciso is probably our main exponent at that, Pedro is a mix of going down easily and rolling around.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All the South Americans*.

Julio Enciso and Joao Pedro are both poor for this. Mac Allister was bad too, for a reasonably tough bloke.

*except IGOR obviously...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll tell you who really WAS bad though - Leandro Trossard - absolute FANNY, that bloke.

Remember him leaving the field at St. Mary's on a stretcher, being administered oxygen, and fearing him would be out for months. He was declared fine, in the next presser, and played the next game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The worst modern trope is the guy that goes down and - instead of just clutching a leg - starts pounding the ground with their hand in order to imply a more excruciating form of agony. Nine times out of ten it's the same old fake bollocks tho
Is there an awards night for these dives ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No, but the players they ‘tackled’ might have done. :wink:
They were all tough back then. I reckon Gerry would have got up that night at Selhurst and carried on if they'd allowed him. Paul Clark was pretty brutal.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Buonanotte is pretty bad for this.
Not really - I don’t think he is that sort of player - he will take an unrealistic pot shot on goal rather than go down in the hope of winning a pen or you frequently see him trying to plough his hopeless way through 2 or 3 tackling defenders rather than play for a foul - his lack of speed when he’s playing wide adds to the defenders pile on but I don’t see him rolling on the floor ‘crying like a baby’ when he goes down.

MItoma last season however, was the opposite, annoyingly conceding balls when he was tackled and going down in the penalty box - as Ensico last season and to a certain extent Pedro this season. It’s often typical behaviour from some attacking midfielders, especially those new to the squad , who try to take a short cut onto the score sheet rather than put in the work. All of them, including Facu, have excellent centres of gravity though which makes them great dribblers so actually stand a much better chance of scoring when they ignore the diving opportunities and play through.

- (un?)fortunately Veltman is one of the few players that can pull a dive off successfully and his dark arts have got us out of many dangerous counter attacks.

Personally I’m glad we don’t have any real Jack Cousteaus on the squad - we can manage without the Salahs, De Bruynes or Kanes of this world - it’s not a particularly attractive aspect of football and we are very much about playing attractive football at Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here