Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohan Ince

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Had he stayed labelled as a centre back, which he was in August, my feeling is that he would have been let go at the end of his current deal. He is not strong enough in the air to compete. As a defensive midfielder he has made astonishing strides in a very short time but I would counsel against getting carried away just yet. He has obvious promise but still lacks a lor, especially in the final third where he could eventually prove a real rhreat to opposing teams by adding a final attacking pass or shot to his armoury. Early days still and fans will need to be patient when OG rests him ashe must from time to time for his own good. Glad to see so many people seeing him and Bridcutt as a pairing rather than a knee-jerk view that we can affoed to let Bridders go and Ince replace him. Ince could eventually be a far more genuine box to box player but he will learn most by playing alongside an experienced quality partner

Not seen him described anywhere as a centre back? Always played in midfield in the half a dozen or so ds games I've seen him in :shrug:
At least as good as Bridcutt at the same age IMO

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not seen him described anywhere as a centre back? Always played in midfield in the half a dozen or so ds games I've seen him in :shrug:
At least as good as Bridcutt at the same age IMO

He was a centre back at Chelsea before being let go and came to our Development Squad playing as a centre back last season before his potential as a midfielder was spotted and he changed position.
As a CB he suffered the same problem that many taller players seem to do in getting off the ground and his headers can be very inconsistent not to say wayward.

Dec 29, 2011
This. If Bridcutt and Ince were fully fit and in form, I would hope we could then have more creative attacking players ahead of them. Crofts has been superb over the last couple of months when we've needed that engine in the midfield, but with Bridcutt and Ince he may be surplus to requirements, and behind the likes of Agustien, Lopez and Orlandi in terms of much needed creativity going forward.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Only seen one game with them together, but admittedly it was a quality performance. We've only lost one league game when Ince has played, probably a coincidence, but a nice stat nonetheless.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/rohan-ince/leistungsdaten/spieler_141568.html

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep. Exactly. Raw talent. How good is he going to be with a couple of years of week-in, week-out first team football under his belt.

Couple of years?? He's looking the real deal NOW. This is why I can't understand all this 'raw' talent nonsense. If you're good enough, you're old enough. He's not really playing like a raw talent to me. He's playing with maturity, composure. He's ready now and only looking after him physically can be any reason to be leaving him out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's not really playing like a raw talent to me. He's playing with maturity, composure. He's ready now and only looking after him physically can be any reason to be leaving him out.

In your opinion. I (& many on here, it would seem) think he's getting there.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wonder how long it will be before a certain section are having a go at him for something (much like they do to all young players at some stage). Also hope people trust Oscar in his development and if Oscar chooses to put him on the bench or the stands for a few games people don't go thinking they know best.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You the mean the manager that 'rested' him for 1 game in 5, the 1 game we lost in 5!

The one who "rested" him for six of the last twelve games, and decided that he wasn't the answer to help turn the team around when we were putting in bad performances v the likes of Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley, and didn't think he would help v forest when we were struggling.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The one who "rested" him for six of the last twelve games, and decided that he wasn't the answer to help turn the team around when we were putting in bad performances v the likes of Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley, and didn't think he would help v forest when we were struggling.

I'd like to know that as well. Not sure if you're questioning my argument of Ince not being raw, or Oscar's judgement? Perhaps even you don't know!?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
After his performance against table topping Leicester, I think Ince is probably now seen as a "first teamer" by OG and he should start automatically provided that he is fit. The team as a whole seem to play much better when he is on the pitch and he brings a youthful strength, drive, verve and passion to the side that we have been missing for many years. By all means rest him for a game or two if he needs it, but don't let's kid ourselves that he's anything other than a major, and important asset to the team. He is at least as good now as Bridcutt was at his age if not better; and we should aim to make the most of his skills by playing him regularly and allowing him to develop unharnessed. He hardly looks as if he needs to be wrapped up in cotton wool.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ince is now seen by OG as a "first teamer" in my view and he should start automatically provided that he is fit. The team as a whole seem to play much better when he is on the pitch and he brings a youthful strength, drive, verve and passion to the side that we have been missing for many years. By all means rest him for a game or two if he needs it, but don't let's kid ourselves that he's anything other than a major, and important asset to the team. He is at least as good now as Bridcutt was at his age if not better; and we should aim to make the most of his skills by playing him regularly and allowing him to develop unharnessed. He hardly looks as if he needs to be wrapped up in cotton wool.

Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd like to know that as well. Not sure if you're questioning my argument of Ince not being raw, or Oscar's judgement? Perhaps even you don't know!?

I'm questioning your belief that Oscar agrees with you about him being the finished article. It appears to me as if he is of the belief that he is getting there, rather than he is there.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'm questioning your belief that Oscar agrees with you about him being the finished article. It appears to me as if he is of the belief that he is getting there, rather than he is there.

Are any of our players the finished article as yet? I think not. Most are in varying stages of development; and I don't believe Ince is any different to his team mates in this respect.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

'Finished article' where did that come from, I just said I didn't think you could describe him as 'raw'.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are any of our players the finished article as yet? I think not. Most are in varying stages of development; and I don't believe Ince is any different to his team mates in this respect.

Yes, poor choice of words to paraphrase the point on my behalf. No player is the finished article. And as has been said, it's not meant as a criticism of Ince.

It's not even my point. I was just disputing bold seagull's claim that Oscar thinks Ince isn't playing like a raw talent, that Oscar thinks he is playing with maturity and composure and that he is ready now, as evidenced by how often he has been dropped to the bench. If he was ready, he wouldn't be sat on the bench while we struggle v Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley. He wouldn't be benched for 5 out of 6 games (from Ipswich to Doncaster) to look after him physically.

Because of injuries, late signings, suspensions, etc, we've been forced to use more youth than I think was originally planned. Chicksen, Maksimenko, barker, march, JFC, and Ince have all been in or around the first team this season. Ince is the only one who has really shone through. (Despite a couple of goals, JFC seems to have tailed off and struggled in his last couple of appearances, and with everyone fit I don't see him being in the squad). Ince has stepped up. He is a very good talent, has put in some great performances for us, but Oscar still sees him as not being ready to play every game, or to play with the pressure of having to turn the team's fortunes around. I think he is getting there and improving every time out. I'm not as confident as you he will be a starter, what with bridcutt, crofts, Lopez, orlandi, Buckley, KLL, ulloa, Barnes, cms, Andrews, agustien to fit in in the top six, but he'll definitely be in the list along with them.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yes, poor choice of words to paraphrase the point on my behalf. No player is the finished article. And as has been said, it's not meant as a criticism of Ince.

It's not even my point. I was just disputing bold seagull's claim that Oscar thinks Ince isn't playing like a raw talent, that Oscar thinks he is playing with maturity and composure and that he is ready now, as evidenced by how often he has been dropped to the bench. If he was ready, he wouldn't be sat on the bench while we struggle v Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley. He wouldn't be benched for 5 out of 6 games (from Ipswich to Doncaster) to look after him physically.

Because of injuries, late signings, suspensions, etc, we've been forced to use more youth than I think was originally planned. Chicksen, Maksimenko, barker, march, JFC, and Ince have all been in or around the first team this season. Ince is the only one who has really shone through. (Despite a couple of goals, JFC seems to have tailed off and struggled in his last couple of appearances, and with everyone fit I don't see him being in the squad). Ince has stepped up. He is a very good talent, has put in some great performances for us, but Oscar still sees him as not being ready to play every game, or to play with the pressure of having to turn the team's fortunes around. I think he is getting there and improving every time out. I'm not as confident as you he will be a starter, what with bridcutt, crofts, Lopez, orlandi, Buckley, KLL, ulloa, Barnes, cms, Andrews, agustien to fit in in the top six, but he'll definitely be in the list along with them.

Fair enough. Thanks for taking the time to clarify your views. :albion:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here