Rohan Ince

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Up till now I thought that Barry Rees was the greatest player we have ever had..(including Lawro) but the way Ince is improving and the emergence of Solly March we have exciting times ahead indeed...future in youth...

Dec 29, 2011
Up till now I thought that Barry Rees was the greatest player we have ever had..(including Lawro) but the way Ince is improving and the emergence of Solly March we have exciting times ahead indeed...future in youth...

Imagine this every few years when we have a decent academy. Southampton's fans must be loving the youth they have at the moment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Careful - if you suggest he is anything other than the new Messiah you run the risk of being pilloried. Huge talent - great to watch - but as you say still (understandably) a bit raw.

A bit raw, but a hell of a lot of talent and potential.

A midfield combo of him and Bridders is more than a match for any in this division, and frees up the likes of Dave, Orlandi, Buckley and Kaz to do their stuff further up the pitch.

What is all this raw nonsense? If I didn't know how old he was and was told he was a 28 yr old international player from Europe, I'd be none the wiser. I don't know what this rawness is? Can you expand on what you mean?

To me, his passing is crisp, and generally finds the right person with the right ball. He covers ground, closes down space and is strong in the tackle and in the air. He completely bossed the midfield with Liam on Saturday.

I'm just seeing a great talent at the moment, improving with every game. I'm not seeing much rawness though I must confess.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Raw I imagine means gets caught out of position a bit and occasionally makes the wrong decision. Seems an odd term to me to be honest.

Looks absolutely mustard in CM. Size of him alone must be a pyschological boost before a balls been kicked. Looks the real deal already and is starting to be a real box to box midfielder. Been crying out for this exact player for ever. If he plays as he has done for any length of time then there will be a few premier clubs in for him.

Most excited I've been by a "youth " product since Simon Fox lol

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Raw I imagine means gets caught out of position a bit and occasionally makes the wrong decision. Seems an odd term to me to be honest.

Looks absolutely mustard in CM. Size of him alone must be a pyschological boost before a balls been kicked. Looks the real deal already and is starting to be a real box to box midfielder. Been crying out for this exact player for ever. If he plays as he has done for any length of time then there will be a few premier clubs in for him.

Most excited I've been by a "youth " product since Simon Fox lol

If that's raw, then I assume Hammond is still frozen and not even out the wrapper to even start cooking yet!!! :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Re: Raw, I wasn't there on Saturday so can't comment but in previous weeks he has at times looked raw - as in, misplacing/rushing passes, lack of composure at times, making baffling decisions. He definitely looks like a young player. Still a VERY good prospect who could well go on to be a quality player if played with/slightly ahead of a disciplined DM.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think 'raw' just means the mistakes are due to youth/inexperience rather than inability/lack of effort.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think 'raw' just means the mistakes are due to youth/inexperience rather than inability/lack of effort.

This. It's not a complaint or a dig at him, it's stuff that's expected due to his age. He looks more confident in each game.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

This. It's not a complaint or a dig at him, it's stuff that's expected due to his age. He looks more confident in each game.

I know what 'raw' means, I want someone to tell me what mistakes etc. these are that they think this term applies to Ince.

I've not seen anything from him that I would describe as 'raw' at the moment. He looks like he's settled in as if he's playing his 200th game. Just because a player makes mistakes and they're young, doesn't make them raw. I've not seen many mistakes from Ince that couldn't apply to Crofts for example. Ince was standout (if there was someone who was) at Bournemouth where he ran himself to a standstill, and on Saturday.

Raw isn't the same as youth or inexperience. Ronaldo was 'raw' when first at ManUtd when he tried to dribble past everyone, do 100 step overs then dive on the floor. That was raw talent.

Ince is making some 30 year old in their prime midfielders look 'raw' by comparison, I can tell you that much! :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know what 'raw' means, I want someone to tell me what mistakes etc. these are that they think this term applies to Ince.

I've not seen anything from him that I would describe as 'raw' at the moment. He looks like he's settled in as if he's playing his 200th game. Just because a player makes mistakes and they're young, doesn't make them raw. I've not seen many mistakes from Ince that couldn't apply to Crofts for example. Ince was standout (if there was someone who was) at Bournemouth where he ran himself to a standstill, and on Saturday.

Raw isn't the same as youth or inexperience. Ronaldo was 'raw' when first at ManUtd when he tried to dribble past everyone, do 100 step overs then dive on the floor. That was raw talent.

Ince is making some 30 year old in their prime midfielders look 'raw' by comparison, I can tell you that much! :lolol:

In Ince's first few games, he would rush passes, often overhitting them or playing them behind the player they were aimed for. Often under no pressure at all, when he had time to take a few touches and move forward with the ball (see: vs. Bolton when it hit the ref). That's the sort of thing a nervous player would do.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In Ince's first few games, he would rush passes, often overhitting them or playing them behind the player they were aimed for. Often under no pressure at all, when he had time to take a few touches and move forward with the ball (see: vs. Bolton when it hit the ref). That's the sort of thing a nervous player would do.

I've seen more of that from more experienced players like Conway, Crofts, Lopez etc. than Ince. It seems the term 'raw' is being used in a slightly negative way, like it's excusing some deficiency in his game. For me, I've not seen that many deficiencies to warrant calling him raw. He's just bloody good and getting better with every game. I hope he stays raw for as long as possible, because he's playing with freedom, expression and determination right now. It's great to see.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Are there individual player statistics available for our games? I honestly can't remember Ince giving the ball away or being dispossessed once on Saturday.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think he was definitely what you could call 'raw' in his first few games this season but he has got better and better each game leading up to what I thought on Saturday was his best and most mature performance.

He and Bridcutt are a real force in the middle and I really don't think its a coincidence that Lopez and Conway's best performances of the season came in the match that we started with Ince and Bridcutt together for the first time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports