Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohan Ince at centre back

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Not good enough in the air for a centre-back.

I disagree, trying to score a goal with your head is more difficult than trying to head the ball out of the penalty area. I think he could be the next Eric Young if needed at CB, with Bridcutt back as holding midfielder.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I disagree, trying to score a goal with your head is more difficult than trying to head the ball out of the penalty area. I think he could be the next Eric Young if needed at CB, with Bridcutt back as holding midfielder.

Eric Young is his uncle, who was also not very good in the air.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I knew that. I remember Eric Young was a great CB for Brighton, he then was sold to Palace, who later finished near the top of the old 1st division,so i presume he could head the ball preaty good. He had a headband like Fozzie if i remember rightly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unbelievable! We have just had a great result against the top team with Ince and Bridcutt an outstanding partnership and we have a thread on Saturday selling Bridcutt and today pushing Ince into defence. What is wrong with playing them both in Midfield. Could still play with Ulloa up front supported by three from Orlandi, Lopez, Buckley, KLL or even Crofts. Drop Crofts and put in Barnes! That's not counting Conway if we chose to sign him!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I knew that. I remember Eric Young was a great CB for Brighton, he then was sold to Palace, who later finished near the top of the old 1st division,so i presume he could head the ball preaty good. He had a headband like Fozzie if i remember rightly.

Sold to Wimbledon before Palace. That's how he got an FA Cup winners medal!!

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I think I'll go with OG:

"At the start of the season Rohan was a central defender but I think he can exploit his abilities more in midfield."

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

He certainly was when he played for Crystal Palace, alongside Andy Thorn who was also commanding in the air.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Unbelievable! We have just had a great result against the top team with Ince and Bridcutt an outstanding partnership and we have a thread on Saturday selling Bridcutt and today pushing Ince into defence. What is wrong with playing them both in Midfield. Could still play with Ulloa up front supported by three from Orlandi, Lopez, Buckley, KLL or even Crofts. Drop Crofts and put in Barnes! That's not counting Conway if we chose to sign him!

Walt was speculating. No harm in that. Surprisingly, In terms of what he is talking about, Lua Lua also has many of the qualities to be a sweeper that can tackle well and bring the ball out of defence. Not now, but when he loses some of his pace, I think he could be converted to a sweeper later on in his career.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Neither his heading or tackling ability are good enough to be a central defender and the last line before the keeper. In midfield if he misses either somebody else can cover him. As a central defender I think that his reckless missed tackles would result in a number of penalties conceded. Leave him in midfield where he can do more damage to the opponents and less to our defence.

Agree with that. Like many 2metrew+ players he is not actually that good at geting off the ground and timing jumping is not a strength with the result that the ball skims his head or fails to get distance or direction. I have suggested before that had he not made a success of switching to midfield he would have probably been leaving us for lower leagues at the end of the season.
Work in progress but he has found his niche.

Jimmy Grimble

I know it's only a speculative suggestion, but given the current context it sounds like something from the Micky Adams school of management.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Agree with that. Like many 2metrew+ players he is not actually that good at geting off the ground and timing jumping is not a strength with the result that the ball skims his head or fails to get distance or direction. I have suggested before that had he not made a success of switching to midfield he would have probably been leaving us for lower leagues at the end of the season.
Work in progress but he has found his niche.

Spot on, I think. From this and some of your previous posts, I think you're a very good judge of a player's abilities or lack of. :clap: Are they any current Albion players you think could be better deployed in another position? Perhaps Calderon?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I know it's only a speculative suggestion, but given the current context it sounds like something from the Micky Adams school of management.

I don't know. Sometimes things that seem preposterous work out, such moving Steve Foster from centre-forward to centre-back.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Neither his heading or tackling ability are good enough to be a central defender and the last line before the keeper. In midfield if he misses either somebody else can cover him. As a central defender I think that his reckless missed tackles would result in a number of penalties conceded. Leave him in midfield where he can do more damage to the opponents and less to our defence.

I've hardly seen him lose a header. The direction of his heading could be improved granted.
By your standards Greer would be a hopeless centre back as his heading is poor and he barely make an actual tackle.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He could be the second Lawrenson? He needs some games under his belt in front of the back four though.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
CB ain't no place for a youngster.

Good as he is, it's an effing big ask.

When he has 100 or so starts under his belt ........... then he can become a Sammer or Matteus (hopefully)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Before the summer holidays I was saying on here he was abysmal conference standard at CB but would be Prem quality at CM and believe I got laughed at about both being told he's a CB and typical development squad L1/L2 journeyman by people who hadn't even seen him play.

Stand by both points though (not that seen him at CB since the pre-season). Back last season he was gash at CB tho!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here