Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Roger Bamber photographer. RIP

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Surprised I could not find a thread on this. Roger Bamber died relatively recently. He took some iconic local photos for various newspapers and clients and a retrospective of his work opened at the Brighton Museum yesterday. It's on until September and is well worth a visit. Residents can buy a ticket that lasts all year .

Attachments

• 20230401_143611.jpg
    20230401_143611.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 91

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe because 99% of people have not heard of him. The amount of RIP threads of relatively unknown minor celebs etc is becoming a tad ridiculous. Mrs Miggins from up the road who once appeared in the background crowd scene of Top of the Pops in one show in the1970's will no doubt get a thread here when she pops her clogs!
Local photographer seems fine to me. It is one thread. If people are not interested they won't reply and the thread will disappear. I'm almost certain that you can cope with this.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Maybe because 99% of people have not heard of him. The amount of RIP threads of relatively unknown minor celebs etc is becoming a tad ridiculous. Mrs Miggins from up the road who once appeared in the background crowd scene of Top of the Pops in one show in the1970's will no doubt get a thread here when she pops her clogs!
Oh come on now, she did make some meaty pies.
Isn't that how Piglet Pies came about ???

Allegedly

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
RIP threads are usually for people whose passing elicits a certain amount of grief in readers. With all due respects to the late Mr Bamber, I hope he led a good life and he's now moved on to a better place however, his passing is unlikely to see 99.9% of NSC subscribers falling to their knees outside Brighton Museum, overwhelmed by shock, numbness and disbelief?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Local photographer seems fine to me. It is one thread. If people are not interested they won't reply and the thread will disappear. I'm almost certain that you can cope with this.

Someone last year asked for a RIP sub-forum, as NSC RIP threads angered them :lol:. Out of sight, out of mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Someone last year asked for a RIP sub-forum, as NSC RIP threads angered them :lol:. Out of sight, out of mind.
They have probably been queuing for years to ship the olds into a home...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Mrs Muggins has died ? I was in love with her. :cry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I would say that a local celebrity is exactly who should be remembered on a RIP thread. He was a pretty well known Brighton name - famous enough to have a bus named after him. I hadn't realised he'd died until I saw the bus the other day

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
We should all thank him for having added a good 20% to house prices in the Brighton and Hove area over the years, with all those sumptuous shots of North Laine or the West Pier appearing in the national press so frequently. You can just see countless young couples squeezed into pokey flats in London drooling over his work.

Seriously, it’s a sad loss and his was a major talent. The exhibition looks excellent.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I hadn't realised he'd died until I saw the bus the other day

Was the bus weeping and wailing and beating its breasts…… or just wearing a black armband?

Paul busman

May 1, 2023
Surprised I could not find a thread on this. Roger Bamber died relatively recently. He took some iconic local photos for various newspapers and clients and a retrospective of his work opened at the Brighton Museum yesterday. It's on until September and is well worth a visit. Residents can buy a ticket that lasts all year .

Paul busman

May 1, 2023
I drove the bendy bus in the poppy field. Roger had approached the Albion's groundsman about driving on to the pitch, and received a very firm no. Then poppies started to bloom in the adjacent field, and Roger asked the farmer for access. No problem there, so he started to plan the shot. The light had to be right. the poppies had to be in bloom and the downs had to be clearly visible. We unsuccessfully had two or three goes before Roger rang me on a Saturday morning for a final attempt before the poppies faded.

He took the shot from about 400 yards away, using a walkie talkie to instruct me where to go, get the right angle on the bendy bus etc.. It was a privilege to work with Roger, with his warm personality and persistence to get the job done.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here