Rodman - Brighton Bears

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Still have to pinch myself when I think back to it, in a 'Did that actually happen?' kind of way. Some empty seats at the Brighton Centre game as well! Surely the hottest ticket since Bobby Crush played at the Eastbourne Winter Gardens in 1994.

dennis_rodman_6150.JPG

Dennis+Rodman+Dennis+Rodman+Triangle+Brighton+5NstsjlQNcUl.jpg

dennis_rodman_6110.JPG

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I was at his first game in Burgess Hill. Decided to support the opponents (Guildford Heat) as I'm from round there originally. I was chanting "we don't need a gimmick" from the back of the auditorium, and the Brighton coach Nick Nurse left his seat on the touchline in the middle of the game and came up to chat to me as he thought I was a disgruntled Brighton fan, bless him. My mate gatecrashed the post-match press conference and ended up sat on Rodman's lap passing him cigars. It goes without saying that we were both very drunk.

Last edited:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Shame the Bears went out of business. I rather liked the old Brighton Centre games. Never saw Rodman but I did like a bit of Randy Duck.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Shame the Bears went out of business. I rather liked the old Brighton Centre games. Never saw Rodman but I did like a bit of Randy Duck.
A real shame as several guys lost a lot of money on Brighton Brears they started under the name of Brighton Giants Chevron etc they also played at the old Brighton boys club over fifty years ago Dave goss who owned Clapshaw cleave don't know if that's spelt right near the Clock Tower. Up the H Heath Panthers and Tigers:cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery:

A real shame as several guys lost a lot of money on Brighton Brears they started under the name of Brighton Giants Chevron etc they also played at the old Brighton boys club over fifty years ago Dave goss who owned Clapshaw cleave don't know if that's spelt right near the Clock Tower. Up the H Heath Panthers and Tigers:cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery:

Until last season I saw Dave regularly in Horsham where he coached at the same place as me. He's back in Brighton coaching a junior team now.

I saw Rodman in both games and sadly he was one of the reasons the Bears became no more with the controversy over the points deduction for playing him and Nick Nurse lost interest.

Shame as Rodman gave the sport global publicity and it basically back fired

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes and don't forget they completely stitched Worthing up as well, taking a lot of the equipment with them that the supporters club had purchased.

They actually left a bad taste in the mouth when they went belly up. The Worthing Thunder still exist and even played in the BBL until a couple of years ago, of course there is just no money in basketball and they back in the EBL now.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes and don't forget they completely stitched Worthing up as well, taking a lot of the equipment with them that the supporters club had purchased.

They actually left a bad taste in the mouth when they went belly up. The Worthing Thunder still exist and even played in the BBL until a couple of years ago, of course there is just no money in basketball and they back in the EBL now.
I watched them in Worthing Brighton Centre and the Triangle. They had good surport in Worthing and mid Sussex

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was at his first game in Burgess Hill. Decided to support the opponents (Guildford Heat) as I'm from round there originally. I was chanting "we don't need a gimmick" from the back of the auditorium, and the Brighton coach Nick Nurse left his seat on the touchline in the middle of the game and came up to chat to me as he thought I was a disgruntled Brighton fan, bless him. My mate gatecrashed the post-match press conference and ended up sat on Rodman's lap passing him cigars. It goes without saying that we were both very drunk.

Totally head-mental. Basketball's equivalent of Beckham turning out for Whitehawk shirley?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports