Votes: 31 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 147 82.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Friend of mine on FB posted there were people walking along the A27

And that was before Rod had even sung a note! It was like the fall of Saigon where we are in Hollingdean, entire families boarding up their houses and pushing all their belongings in handcarts heading north last night to escape being in audio range of the Amex.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And why were they inspectors? One reason would be the joke to decision to have no manned ticket office at Polegate. Despite knowing the increased volume they thought it would be great to have loads of people queuing up to use machines. And naturally this would include people unsure on how to use them and tempers getting frayed. As loads of people were going to miss the train some young staff member then just shouted to people to get on the train and pay when when got at Falmer. I might have tolerated this but my 70 year old mother in law was not impressed.

I also heard that the sound was crap for first few songs. Even allowing for different acoustic properties when the crowd come in that smacks of poor engineering in the sound check.

So Barber out then, FFS

MongoJerry

Mar 23, 2013
I've just spoken with my neighbour who went last night.

To summarise:

The queues were outrageous
The staff need to learn English
They ran out of everything
The travel was terrible
Rod was superb.

Just like reading NSC after a home match, apart from the Rod bit.

Yep id agree with that. Match days can have their moments but this was a poor showing on whoever arranges catering and travel was made worse by a few cancelled trains and not lengthening those that were running in the peak period. I've said this in an earlier post. I for one wasn't expecting or asking for anything to be different than match day. We do a pretty good job then so why the change of script for a concert that brought poor stock provision, and inability to knock out more than 20 burgers an hour. And crisps, bloody crisps to have run out in WSL by 6.45 when they could have stock pilled boxes of them and if they weren't needed, use them another day, they have a long shelf life after all. Really good concert though, just disappointed our venue (bar it's beauty) was a let down plus no en core with 8 mins left before 10.30pm licence curfew. I agree those 2 pint glasses and full bottles of wine did a roaring trade due to bulk buying because of the queues and in turn created the most pissed up atmosphere I've ever seen at the Amex !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Rod Stewart himself, on stage, even complained about getting to the stadium "get it sorted out".

I have it on fairly good authority that Mr Stewart was relaxing in a seafront hotel until a surprisingly late hour, and that it was only when he and his entourage finally deigned to consider making their way to the Amex, that they realised the traffic in town was horrendous, and that their ride might not make it to the stadium until somewhat later than was ideal. It was at that point that a panicky phone call was made to the rozzers. Apparently.

On that basis, if Rod didn't find his journey to the Amex as smooth as he'd hoped, it would appear to be entirely the fault of his management, and possibly himself, as opposed to the stadium or concert organisers.

:thumbsup:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Took the wife and it was a pleasant evening, no problems with the trains and made the 23.14 off Brighton to hove.
As some people have already said, the sound was a little poor for the 1st few numbers then after that was good.
My main concern was the catering yet again, a 50 minute wait to get served in WSL and then to be served by someone who has not good a clue. Most items were out of stock and if available they would've been way overpriced.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Just got back to The Heath from the gig stayed in hove used the Mill Hill Park and ride very good Once the sound was sorted out it was Brilliant concert I was proud of our Stadium however I hope the caters were nothing to do with the Albion caters it was diabolical, and if is wasn't the Albion caters who I moan about at least they have a better selection of food. I hope the club confirms this, I also had a hot dog and the roll was frozen took it back and the caters just shrugged their shoulders. However the concert was worth it. Well done Rod

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The congestion after the concert has put me off even contemplating another visit to an Amex concert. It would have to be someone I really wanted to see for me to reconsider. As for last night, it was OK, Rod is a pretty good showman and his backing singers and band were pretty good but it wasn't good enough to make up for the traffic carnage after the concert. Plenty seemed to love it all though. He didn't do Reason to Believe either which pissed me off a little.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Acoustic wise, have always said that on matchday the deep and intellectual insight that Mr Reynolds may or may not offer sounds like a jumbled mess from our seats. May just be our position, but is a common opinion around us.
Anyway, IT'S ONWY TROURPEEN MIDGETS TILL KECK ORFF

RR.jpg

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
And why were they inspectors? One reason would be the joke to decision to have no manned ticket office at Polegate. Despite knowing the increased volume they thought it would be great to have loads of people queuing up to use machines. And naturally this would include people unsure on how to use them and tempers getting frayed. As loads of people were going to miss the train some young staff member then just shouted to people to get on the train and pay when when got at Falmer. I might have tolerated this but my 70 year old mother in law was not impressed.

I also heard that the sound was crap for first few songs. Even allowing for different acoustic properties when the crowd come in that smacks of poor engineering in the sound check.

The ticket office would have been open, especially if ticket barriers were in operation at the station, if they werent - i can only assume a short term staffing issue is the cause. The ticket machines really arent hard to use, you choose the station, choose if you want a single/return then choose how many are travelling then you pay. And why was there ticket inspectors ? To make sure no one is fare evading - simple as that, people shouldnt get free rides when others have to pay.

Also, "you heard" the sound was crap ? From what you said above, it sounded like you were there, but were you or not ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wind your neck in and FFS yourself! Where have I criticised him or the club? Its aimed pretty obviously at Southern Rail.

Who ran a very good service post match

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, it was funny listening to my wife and my mum talking about it. To summarise:

Catering: Shocking. They ran out of everything people wanted.
Queues: Bad, but to be expected (They went by train to and from London Road. I took my mum home to Worthing by car and got a bit delayed by the Southwick Hill tunnel closure).
Programmes: An outrageous rip-off at £15. Neither of them bought one.
Rod: Meh. Good but not brilliant. Poor sound, no encore.
Early leavers: 'Sensible people!'

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
No problems for me. Bought beer quickly from the Harveys tent on the pitch, had another beer after the show, small wait for the train home, back in Worthing after midnight. Agree the sound was a bit dodgy for the first song or so but quickly sorted. I was surprised that the ground didn't look as big as expected from pitch level but I think that's due to the North and South stands only being single storey.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Anyone who drives to the Amex for a match or concert and expects to avoid traffic chaos, delays, road rage and probably worse afterwards needs to wake up and smell the coffee!!

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
Rod was good and the trains were as for a match at the Amex. My complaint is the £4-50 a pint for Fosters. If it is this for next season I will not be drinking at the ground.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Anyone who drives to the Amex for a match or concert and expects to avoid traffic chaos, delays, road rage and probably worse afterwards needs to wake up and smell the coffee!!
I agree with you....but...What's the point of smelling the coffee,told that was crap as well.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So glad I live in Coldean!! Strolled down to the Hikers at 5.30, had a few in there, left there at 7.30 and arrived at Amex at 7.50. Straight to the bar (which was empty), a couple more pints and took my seat at 8.20, just in time for Rod.

A couple more pints during, and spent the last 30mins standing at the side of the stage with the missus. Walked back to the hikers after for another pint, and the 1st half of the Aussie match, and then home.

Was great experience being out in the middle of the stadium and taking in the atmosphere and got to spend more time on the amex pitch than Kemy did all last season!

That appears to add up to at least 7 pints. You must have one hell of a beer belly ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here