Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
"nest of weirdo's and perverts"

....my ears are burning

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Of course Rod Liddle writes controversial stuff. That's what makes him worth reading. His columns in the Sunday Times and The Spectator are among the first I turn to. Agree with him or not, he's never boring.

Really depends on your definition of interesting and boring. I find " I will say anything to get attention" pretty boring

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Of course Rod Liddle writes controversial stuff. That's what makes him worth reading. His columns in the Sunday Times and The Spectator are among the first I turn to. Agree with him or not, he's never boring.

I enjoy some of his articles and they can be quite amusing as long as you don’t take the content too literally or seriously.
I am not in the slightest surprised at the reaction of some on here to his description of Brighton. Don’t take it too seriously, people.
He’s got a point about the weirdos, but as others have said, that is what makes Brighton what it is. Love it or hate it.
I used to love the place when I was younger, but I wouldn’t want to live there now.
As far as Liddell the person, I don’t think he would be my cup of tea. I shall leave it at that.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh I see - I get it now. If the OP is not acceptable to the NSC cognoscenti, then replies should not be about what was posted, but about the poster.
Like playing the man, not the ball ....................

I didn’t mention or mean the poster, I meant the person in the thread title.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Like I said not proven at all, press complaints commission judgement isn't proof at all....and you know it.

How do you mean unproven? They looked at the stats and ruled it was inaccurate. Who else do you want to prove him wrong if not the PCC?

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
How do you mean unproven? They looked at the stats and ruled it was inaccurate. Who else do you want to prove him wrong if not the PCC?

Have you read the report you posted ? A typical whitewash,no.pun intended.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Have you read the report you posted ? A typical whitewash,no.pun intended.

Yeah, I read it. Seems fair enough based on the available data.

Liddle's blog post was designed to stir up prejudice and he exaggerated in order to do so. What's difficult to understand here?

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I enjoy some of his articles and they can be quite amusing as long as you don’t take the content too literally or seriously.
I am not in the slightest surprised at the reaction of some on here to his description of Brighton. Don’t take it too seriously, people.
He’s got a point about the weirdos, but as others have said, that is what makes Brighton what it is. Love it or hate it.
I used to love the place when I was younger, but I wouldn’t want to live there now.
As far as Liddell the person, I don’t think he would be my cup of tea. I shall leave it at that.

Depends what you mean by weirdos; yes for sure a large proportion of people in Brighton don't dress from M&S and Primark, and is vegetarianism still considered weird? As for perverts, I presume he is referring to Brighton's gay population. You would have to be right unreconstructed old Nazi to still think of gay people as perverts.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A paragraph from an article he published in the Spectator in 2019. Here we see racist, woman beater, Rod Liddle insulting a domestic abuse survivor and advocating we deny Muslims the vote. Those who support this fool, or consider his articles humorous are on the whole, not very nice people.

“It was principally the student vote that won Canterbury for the sobbing and oppressed Rosie ‘#MeToo’ Duffield. Please don’t let that happen again. My own choice of election date would be a day when universities are closed and Muslims are forbidden to do anything on pain of hell, or something. There must be at least one day like that in the Muslim calendar, surely? That would deliver at least 40 seats to the Tories, I reckon.”

Even the assistant editor of The Spectator, Isabel Hardman condemned this article. However The Spectator knows there is a baying mob of right wing and intolerant readers who despite their claims that woke culture is taking over the UK, are actually a large and growing demographic.

In August 2018, Liddle wrote an article in The Spectator in support of Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson's controversial comments regarding burkas. The article included the subheading 'My own view is that there is not nearly enough Islamophobia within the Tory party"

His homophobic credentials are also fairly well self-documented. Here he is on the reaction to banning amyl-nitrate;

So, Crispin Blunt MP feels hurt because laws proscribing amyl nitrate [sic] (or 'poppers') would criminalise the entire gay community. ... I would have thought that the requirement for amyl nitrate to relax the sphincter muscle and lube to accommodate entry was God's way of telling you that what you're about to do is unnatural and perverse. Or your body's way of telling you – your call. So eeeeuw. ... Crispin and others can always use a jemmy instead.[70]

Columnists like Liddle and Taki (Taki, a columnist with a decades-long history of plastering bigotry across the Spectator’s pages, has: suggested that black people have lower IQs, written a column originally headlined “In praise of the Wehrmacht” and faced a police investigation for a piece in which he claimed that Enoch Powell was “tough on the causes of crime") have raised the readership of TS substantially. There are a lot of people who lap this stuff up.

Their readership, as has been seen on this thread, claim they read the columns because they are humorous, a chucklesome, sideways swipe at the "wokey cokey" generation and the loony left. However, that veil is rather transparent. It's clear to level headed folk that the readership, although I'm sure chuckle at his racist views, are actually in full agreement with his racist, misogynistic hate-speech.
If the rightfully defunct Bear Pit showed us anything, it's that we have our share of these types on NSC. Two of the worst didn't last five minutes on the big board before being handed bans.
However, I digress. Liddle is a massive C and anyone who takes his guff seriously is to be regarded as a fool.

As for his thoughts on Brighton? Who cares what that twerp thinks about something he knows **** all about?

:)

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Depends what you mean by weirdos; yes for sure a large proportion of people in Brighton don't dress from M&S and Primark, and is vegetarianism still considered weird? As for perverts, I presume he is referring to Brighton's gay population. You would have to be right unreconstructed old Nazi to still think of gay people as perverts.

Indeed.
Weird can be used to describe things in several different ways; sometimes meaning sinister and sometimes funny or unusual, offbeat, eccentric etc.
I reckon Brighton has a fair sprinkling of the funny, unusual, offbeat and eccentric etc. and I dare say, in common with most large conurbations, it has its share of less desirable weirdos. As for perverts, I completely agree with you.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A paragraph from an article he published in the Spectator in 2019. Here we see racist, woman beater, Rod Liddle insulting a domestic abuse survivor and advocating we deny Muslims the vote. Those who support this fool, or consider his articles humorous are on the whole, not very nice people.

“It was principally the student vote that won Canterbury for the sobbing and oppressed Rosie ‘#MeToo’ Duffield. Please don’t let that happen again. My own choice of election date would be a day when universities are closed and Muslims are forbidden to do anything on pain of hell, or something. There must be at least one day like that in the Muslim calendar, surely? That would deliver at least 40 seats to the Tories, I reckon.”

Even the assistant editor of The Spectator, Isabel Hardman condemned this article. However The Spectator knows there is a baying mob of right wing and intolerant readers who despite their claims that woke culture is taking over the UK, are actually a large and growing demographic.

Columnists like Liddle and Taki (Taki, a columnist with a decades-long history of plastering bigotry across the Spectator’s pages, has suggested that black people have lower IQs, written a column originally headlined “In praise of the Wehrmacht” and faced a police investigation for a piece in which he claimed that Enoch Powell was “tough on the causes of crime") have raised the readership of TS substantially. There are a lot of people who lap this stuff up.

Their readership, as has been seen on this thread, claim they read the columns because they are humorous, a chucklesome, sideways swipe at the "wokey cokey" generation and the loony left. However, that veil is rather transparent. It's clear to level headed folk that the readership, although I'm sure chuckle at his racist views, are actually in full agreement with his racist, misogynistic hate-speech.
If the rightfully defunct Bear Pit showed us anything, it's that we have our share of these types on NSC. Two of the worst didn't last five minutes on the big board before being handed bans.
However, I digress. Liddle is a massive C and anyone who takes his guff seriously is to be regarded as a fool.

I was one of those who said that some of the articles he writes can be amusing, but I will qualify that by saying I only read the column he writes in the Sunday Times. I have never read the Spectator or any other publications that he may contribute to and I would be very surprised if the average Sunday Times reader is in favour of racist, misogynistic hate speech.
I am certainly not and I do agree that his articles should not be taken seriously.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

In August 2018, Liddle wrote an article in The Spectator in support of Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson's controversial comments regarding burkas. The article included the subheading 'My own view is that there is not nearly enough Islamophobia within the Tory party"

His homophobic credentials are also fairly well self-documented. Here he is on the reaction to banning amyl-nitrate;

So, Crispin Blunt MP feels hurt because laws proscribing amyl nitrate [sic] (or 'poppers') would criminalise the entire gay community. ... I would have thought that the requirement for amyl nitrate to relax the sphincter muscle and lube to accommodate entry was God's way of telling you that what you're about to do is unnatural and perverse. Or your body's way of telling you – your call. So eeeeuw. ... Crispin and others can always use a jemmy instead.[70]

Columnists like Liddle and Taki (Taki, a columnist with a decades-long history of plastering bigotry across the Spectator’s pages, has: suggested that black people have lower IQs, written a column originally headlined “In praise of the Wehrmacht” and faced a police investigation for a piece in which he claimed that Enoch Powell was “tough on the causes of crime") have raised the readership of TS substantially. There are a lot of people who lap this stuff up.

As for his thoughts on Brighton? Who cares what that twerp thinks about something he knows **** all about?

Considering you received a ban on here for using racially abusive/derogatory language but claimed it was meant to be humorous I would have thought you would be a bit less judgemental ... :angel:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Considering you received a ban on here for using racially abusive/derogatory language but claimed it was meant to be humorous I would have thought you would be a bit less judgemental ... :angel:

The bear pit is closed and I have no desire to engage in your bollocks on the BB, or to justify myself . Especially as it was something said in jest, over ten years ago :wave:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was one of those who said that some of the articles he writes can be amusing, but I will qualify that by saying I only read the column he writes in the Sunday Times. I have never read the Spectator or any other publications that he may contribute to and I would be very surprised if the average Sunday Times reader is in favour of racist, misogynistic hate speech.
I am certainly not and I do agree that his articles should not be taken seriously.

Therein lay the problem, there are clearly people out there who read these types of articles ( see DM and plenty of other publications, and do take them seriously, then vote accordingly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports