Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Rod Liddle's opinion of Brighton

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I think he was just too scared to go after Bristol

I’d never been to Bristol until my daughter went to university there. I liked it as soon as I first set foot in the city. Felt a lot like Brighton. Bigger but without an English Channel.

Full of weirdos and perverts but who cares?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I wonder what constitutes a 'weirdo' or a 'pervert' in the mind of a man who beats pregnant women.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I’d never been to Bristol until my daughter went to university there. I liked it as soon as I first set foot in the city. Felt a lot like Brighton. Bigger but without an English Channel.

Full of weirdos and perverts but who cares?

Bristol has the whole Bristol Channel all to itself.

I've heard some people in Sheffield describe Hunters Bar (a roundabout) as "out there"

Having been born in Brighton and gone to uni in Bristol, I find this highly amusing. But I can't help but feel a soft spot for a city where some people still say "thee".

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
Bristol has the whole Bristol Channel all to itself.

I've heard some people in Sheffield describe Hunters Bar (a roundabout) as "out there"

Having been born in Brighton and gone to uni in Bristol, I find this highly amusing. But I can't help but feel a soft spot for a city where some people still say "thee".
UWE or Bristol ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Well, he once claimed that "the overwhelming majority of street crime, knife crime, gun crime, robbery and crimes of sexual violence in London is carried out by young men from the African-Caribbean community". This was proven to be inaccurate.

On Millwall FC's forum he wrote, amongst other things, "There's thousands of organisations catering exclusively to black and asian minorities. **** 'em, close them down. Why do blacks need a forum of their own? As a power base and cash cow for ****s and in order to perpetuate the myth of widespread discrimination."

And here's him explaining how it's so difficult not to be racist these days:

DnNqmkHW0AANkrN.jpeg

You can see why people might get the impression that he's a bit of a racist.

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
Well, he once claimed that "the overwhelming majority of street crime, knife crime, gun crime, robbery and crimes of sexual violence in London is carried out by young men from the African-Caribbean community". This was proven to be inaccurate.

On Millwall FC's forum he wrote, amongst other things, "There's thousands of organisations catering exclusively to black and asian minorities. **** 'em, close them down. Why do blacks need a forum of their own? As a power base and cash cow for ****s and in order to perpetuate the myth of widespread discrimination."

And here's him explaining how it's so difficult not to be racist these days:

View attachment 136947

You can see why people might get the impression that he's a bit of a racist.
Can you post a link where his claims on crime were proved to be inaccurate ? I'd also agree with him on Black only organisations, they do nothing but promote division.So, all in all his views don't align with yours therefore he must be racist,righto.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
He has a point but in today's PC environment generalising a whole city as perverts ( or anything else) is going to cause controversy which I expect was his intention. Weird definitely which in my view makes it great.
Tomorrow's chip paper from a pointless attention seeker, move on.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Typically, this thread has quickly morphed from 'Rod Liddle's Opinion of Brighton' to (some) Brighton fans' opinion of Rod Liddle.

Who'd'a thought it .....................................?

The thread was started by a poster who is basically PPF with a very basic grasp of grammar.

It’s been started because he’s an attention seeking prat.

What did you expect to happen? A nuanced debate about whether the wife beating bellend was right to label Brighton as a city of perverts? ???

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I didn't actually ask for your opinions of Rod Liddle, I asked whether you thought his description of Brighton was a valid one.However you all seem to prefer just to call him names and so we'll leave it at that.

Typically, this thread has quickly morphed from 'Rod Liddle's Opinion of Brighton' to (some) Brighton fans' opinion of Rod Liddle.

Who'd'a thought it .....................................?

Do you want us to give him a pat on the back? :facepalm:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Can you post a link where his claims on crime were proved to be inaccurate ? I'd also agree with him on Black only organisations, they do nothing but promote division.So, all in all his views don't align with yours therefore he must be racist,righto.

There you go: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8594097.stm

Where did I say he must be a racist? I merely suggested that his history of inflammatory, dog whistle articles and posts may lead some to assume he holds racist views. Perhaps, the race baiting is just pandering to his readership.

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
There you go: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8594097.stm

Where did I say he must be a racist? I merely suggested that his history of inflammatory, dog whistle articles and posts may lead some to assume he holds racist views. Perhaps, the race baiting is just pandering to his readership.
That doesn't prove his claims were inaccurate at all !! I'll see if I can find more later but a quick search shows this Screenshot_2021-05-21-07-56-17.png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The thread was started by a poster who is basically PPF with a very basic grasp of grammar.
It’s been started because he’s an attention seeking prat.

Do you want us to give him a pat on the back? :facepalm:
Oh I see - I get it now. If the OP is not acceptable to the NSC cognoscenti, then replies should not be about what was posted, but about the poster.
Like playing the man, not the ball ....................

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s one of many clickbait twats from the Kelvin McKenzie/Piers Morgan school of tabloid liars.

I’ve ignored all these people for decades.

I’m proud of the mix of political views across our city, with a huge slice of the vote for each of Labour, Tory and Greens.

Is there another set of constituencies in the UK that has that tri-way split including Greens?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Of course Rod Liddle writes controversial stuff. That's what makes him worth reading. His columns in the Sunday Times and The Spectator are among the first I turn to. Agree with him or not, he's never boring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here