Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Robin Williams...on this day in 2014

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of the very few celebrity deaths that really shocked, moved and upset me. I grew up loving him in Mork & Mindy, then enjoyed a lot of his stand-up and appearances on talk shows, as well as his films. An endlessly funny man, who anyone would adore to have as an uncle. So desperately sad how it all ended with his inner demons eventually overcoming him.

He left behind an incredible chronology of comedy in his life, which can still thankfully be enjoyed forever.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It was on tv when I was growing up and I always hated Mork and Mindy, thinking, Jesus, this guy talks like he's massively overdoing the cocaine. Very annoying. However, later on I realised his brilliance, particularly with the quick fire ad-lib.

He reminds me of Stevie Wonder (another genius) because he also did some absolute puke inducing smaltzy shite amongst the utter brilliance of his other work. I still love Mrs Doubtfire every time I see it, his best movie imo, but agree that some of his serious roles are hugely underrated- particularly World's Greatest Dad.

His is not a suicide that saddens me (his death did) because it was not due to inner demons, depression, substance misuse or psychosis - he knew what Lew Body dementia was doing to him and chose an early exit and I can't blame him, whether I agree with it or not.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He reminds me of Stevie Wonder (another genius) because he also did some absolute puke inducing smaltzy shite amongst the utter brilliance of his other work.

Absolutely this. As much as I love Stevie there are a few songs I simply cannot listen to. Williams did the same in film.

His stand up was genius but, film wise, I have to call Good Morning Vietnam as my favourite.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Dead Poets Society is probably my favourite of his serious work, but I first saw (well, heard) him as the Genie in Aladdin and so that's what comes to mind first when I see his name.

A phenomenal talent across multiple genres, the world is a poorer place without him.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
'Awakenings' was a very good film.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Hook is my favourite childhood film and I still watch it with fond memories and nostalgia.

He was brilliant in GWH, and most everything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here