Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roberto Martinez

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
With Swansea, it took him two seasons to win the League One promotion (he didn't even make the play-offs in his first season) then didn't win the championship with Swansea before taking the Wigan job. Foreign rubbish I say, he obviously didn't understand English Football.

. . . or he helped set up the base for Rogers to get promoted the following season, went on to win the FA Cup with Wigan, and now could be taking Everton into the Champions League. If only we had a similar young, foreign, admired coach . . . . .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why mention Poyet at all? He is an irrelevance here.

Why not mention Keith Chegwin while you're at it?
Yeah I'm not disputing that, there's far to much Poyet in non-Poyet threads.
Someone recently tried to tell me Sunderland were an irrelevance to us, this board suggests otherwise.

But nevertheless Martinez and Poyet are far to similar for some to ignore.

Oh, I dunno, maybe it's because being humble is seen as a good thing in a person. You are of course correct that there's no requirement for a manager or coach to be humble but it's obviously going to rub people the wrong way if you are not humble when, based on your professional record, you really have quite a lot to be humble about.

Fair enough, I was a bit worried there that this was just a thread full of people discussing football like women "Oooooh isn't he nice". But in fact if it's just another massive Gus hate fest, then yes I can respect sociopathic opinions

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've always like Martinez - a smart, thoughtful manager who players seem to enjoy working with.

He's gone down well with Liverpool fans today to the point where loads seem to hoping Everton get into the CL

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So the original post asks about Martinez, and half of the responses mention Gus. You people really do need to move on now. You're mind me of a woman scorned. Let it go.

But to keep to topic. Martinez has done brilliantly and with it seems to be a genuinely lovely man.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So the original post asks about Martinez, and half of the responses mention Gus. You people really do need to move on now. You're mind me of a woman scorned. Let it go.

But to keep to topic. Martinez has done brilliantly and with it seems to be a genuinely lovely man.

This on both counts

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I agree with TLO and Giraffe - it's pathetic how quickly Gus is dragged into it for absolutely no good reason. Martinez seems to be a classy man, he's certainly a classy manager, and he's in charge of a classy club.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Astounding.

The OP is praising Martinez on his eloquence and modesty, and within three posts, it turned into a Poyet-bashing thread - as if Poyet was relevant here.

It is easy to see the relevance and you don't have to look very hard to see it. They were teammates, are in the same age group, started off their non-playing careers around the same time. It is easy to compare the two on a Brighton forum when one is a former manager and the other is mentioned as being a class act.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It is easy to see the relevance and you don't have to look very hard to see it. They were teammates, are in the same age group, started off their non-playing careers around the same time. It is easy to compare the two on a Brighton forum when one is a former manager and the other is mentioned as being a class act.

There's a comparison between the two, but that's not relevant to the instance and circumstance being discussed.

Gus Poyet had absolutely nothing to do with the original point being made. Someone unilaterally brought it up in order to have a pop at him.

Coming up in future threads...

"Lamb burgers are fantastic" - "... unlike Gus."
"I like Brighton on a sunny day" - "... yeah, but Gus' big mouth has to spoil it..."
"I'm appalled that 1m people use food banks..." - "... it must something to do with Gus..."

etc.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There's a comparison between the two, but that's not relevant to the instance and circumstance being discussed.

Gus Poyet had absolutely nothing to do with the original point being made. Someone unilaterally brought it up in order to have a pop at him.

"I like Brighton on a sunny day" - "... yeah, but Gus' big mouth has to spoil it..."
"I'm appalled that 1m people use food banks..." - "... it must something to do with Gus..."

etc.

You do act like a sanctimonious tit sometimes.

Gus is currently in the news and riling Sunderland fans because of his motor mouth and moaning.

Martinez is in the news for being a class act, has won friends on the red side of Merseyside and is doing well at a club notorious for its penny pinching.

Of course there will be comparisons between the two on a Brighton forum for the reasons already given.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Yep, it's a close call between Roberto and Gus, to see who is the most humble, genuine, and talented leader. A very close call.

NOT

Well said. Nail on the head!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Sorry if it's just me on this, but I don't get this big need for football managers to be "humble". He's there to win football matches and hopefully entertain as well, not to be your mate down the pub.

Maybe its about the words, if not humble, then sporting, gracious and magnanimous. Martinez could have left Wigan for many cubs but stayed with them, took real responsibility for bad results and earned his place at Everton by his input and longevity at Swansea and Wigan. There truly is no comparison between him and Poyet.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

etc.

Poyet states theres 'something wrong at the club'. This maybe true,but he showed a fatal lack of judgement if that is the case, but his record in the premiership is pretty poor. He should have served his time out and behaved correctly.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Martinez has to be my favourite manager in English football. Total class and respect, I'm glad he is doing so well with Everton. Could very well be one of the best one day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here