Roberto Martinez to discuss future "next week"

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-manager-Roberto-Martinez-to-decide-next-week

They should just sack him, surely? "I'll decide within 24 hours" "I'll decide next week". Google off Martinez! Established Premier League club guided safely to relegation, and you want time to decide your future? It's time to mug him off, Whelan. Sack him, get a manager in and move on.

Has Martinez shagged your Nan or something? Calm down, it really isn't that big a deal.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
can't help but think all this dithering by Martinez (like last year and Villa) suggests deep down he's actually not that confident about his abilities and perhaps his real comfort level is a non threatening one like Wigan.....I appreciate it may be loyalty in public for the dithering but the truth is he's done well by Wigan and if he went he'd go with their good wishes - so this is down to him and him alone and I am sure some of the bigger more ambitious clubs are starting to think is this a possible coppell who won't handle the pressure well if appointed? just a thought

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Martinez is at a crossroads. He is an ambitious manager and is currently well regarded by the media and within the game for his team's style of play and how accessible he is. He has also led Wigan to the FA Cup, which is something their supporters will still be talking about in 50 years time, regardless of what division they are in.

The thing is that, there is a fair chance that Wigan could be on a downward spiral from here if they lose their best players. Whereas now, Martinez is in demand if Wigan are 18th in the Championship in November and Dave Whelan sacks him, the clubs currently interested in him wouldn't then be knocking down his door to take over. He clearly has an affinity to Wigan but he may have gone as far as he can with them, just as we all have in our own jobs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All this dithering?? The club have just won the FA Cup and been relegated. There's a lot of dust that needs to settle, and he's got his pick of a number of jobs.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Maybe all this 'dithering' is down to the fact it's holiday season and next week is the first opportunity for them to get together? Not that I really care that much!
Having a championship side playing in europe does appear to help their opposition. Brum didn't fair too well with the extra games.....I hear Latvia is nice in the Autumn???

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think Martinez decision is key to where Gus will end up, as he may well be first choice for a number of clubs and Poyet second or third on the list and this will get the ball rolling so to speak. Which is not good news for us as it may well affect who & when we can move for dependent on compensation, contracts etc.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He's been aggressively angling for a move for 6 months. A little more eloquently than GP though.

I hate his attitude. Concentrate on being a success at your club, then worry about moving on. How can his reign at Wigan be perceived as anything other than a failure?

Has Martinez shagged your Nan or something? Calm down, it really isn't that big a deal.

It makes me furious. I am enfuriated. I seethe even as we speak.

can't help but think all this dithering by Martinez (like last year and Villa) suggests deep down he's actually not that confident about his abilities and perhaps his real comfort level is a non threatening one like Wigan.....I appreciate it may be loyalty in public for the dithering but the truth is he's done well by Wigan and if he went he'd go with their good wishes - so this is down to him and him alone and I am sure some of the bigger more ambitious clubs are starting to think is this a possible coppell who won't handle the pressure well if appointed? just a thought

I think he is an utter Coppell. Nosebleed at a decent club and ultimately doomed to do nothing of much note. Winning this years FA Cup means he'll forever considered to have "potential". His potential ability is becoming one of the biggest myths in world football.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Tonight a Palace fan of all people outlined a path to Martinez being our next boss. Has heard that Solskjaer is going to get Everton and where else in the PL is RM going to go? Faced with a Championship campaign and attracted by our style of play, Spanish players and much bigger crowds, he heads for The Amex. Vaguely plausible I suppose...

I heard from a friend that spoke to an agent that knew about 8 weeks ago that Ferguson was off and Moyes was taking over, that Solskjaer may be going to Everton. I have lumped on at 110/1 on Betfair :)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I heard from a friend that spoke to an agent that knew about 8 weeks ago that Ferguson was off and Moyes was taking over, that Solskjaer may be going to Everton. I have lumped on at 110/1 on Betfair :)

Is that a double or treble and do you have proof and if you win will you be donating money to a charity ?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Isnt Martinez looking for new training facilities etc and assurences from Wigan chairman that these will be built. I can see him staying at Wigan especially as he has a good chance of keeping most of his squad .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Isnt Martinez looking for new training facilities etc and assurences from Wigan chairman that these will be built. I can see him staying at Wigan especially as he has a good chance of keeping most of his squad .

Whelan will give him a sizeable warchest to get back up aswell.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I think Martinez decision is key to where Gus will end up, as he may well be first choice for a number of clubs and Poyet second or third on the list and this will get the ball rolling so to speak. Which is not good news for us as it may well affect who & when we can move for dependent on compensation, contracts etc.

Understand what you say but has the fact that we have suspended poyet mean that the timing of his departure from the club been removed from his hands. I just dont want this to drag like hinslewoods appointment many summers ago

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I hate his attitude. Concentrate on being a success at your club, then worry about moving on. How can his reign at Wigan be perceived as anything other than a failure?

To be fair, there are very few managers that do that nowadays (our very own manager, as a case in point). They only need to show a bit of promise, or win something (and Wigan DID win the FA Cup – default or not) and they get offers from elsewhere. Surely it's just like a promotion in the 'real' jobs market?

Managers don't really have loyalty. Not many players do either. The only ones that do are the fans.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
To be fair, there are very few managers that do that nowadays (our very own manager, as a case in point). They only need to show a bit of promise, or win something (and Wigan DID win the FA Cup – default or not) and they get offers from elsewhere. Surely it's just like a promotion in the 'real' jobs market?

Managers don't really have loyalty. Not many players do either. The only ones that do are the fans.

Very true. There are a lot of similarities with the real world, and that's why I like Gus Poyet. I like the fact he hasn't hidden from his ambition or pretended that Brighton is the be all and end all. It is honest, it is genuine and it is vastly more believable. If Martinez came out and said, "you know what, Wigan's a joke. Seriously, it's just a joke. It's been a laugh, we survived in the Premier League with Titus at the back, and we all had a bit of a laugh. But it's become dull. Our ground is empty, the fans don't really care and we rarely bother the opponents goal. I'm done with this now, I want to go manage a football club more in my image. I'm going to Burton, I like their clothes"; I'd like that. It would be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here