Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roberto Martinez resigns

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I didn't think much of the Lamb Hotpot Pies

All to do with the width of the post. A master stroke brining on Barnes and then Speroni got a touch. GP: starting a job and not finishing it. But if the goal had gone in, he would have left any way ???

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
i think wigan would suit gus, they play his style of football and have a good chairman, but they are not a premiership club, which by the sounds of things that is what gus wants... but then again dont think they have much money to spend either...

i wouldnt mind gus staying, because know one really knows what has happened, i wish the board would just tell every exactly where we stand, what has gone on with gus, tanno and charlie...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Dave Whelan is one of the better chairman. Not sure how the perception of Gus that has sprung up in the last couple of weeks would sit with him.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Pathetic decision from a jumped up little man. His rubbish Wigan team were finally relegated and he had no idea what to do about it. Gus has no Plan B? Meet Martinez. Boring, nothing football which is lauded by the press because hes a wonderful loser. Who wants that as manager?

Very good news for Wigan, pathetic little club as it is, they can get a manager focused on the team and not on cultivating some false media persona.

Come on, you were all waiting for me to wade in. :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The options for his dream Premier League Job are getting lesser by the day. He was favourite for the Everton job at one time.

Gus never had a hope in hell of getting the Everton job. Apart from his lack of experience, his personality is completely wrong for the club. Look at the Everton managers of the past: Moyes, Smith, Kendall, Bingham, Lee etc - they don't tend to have big egos and a big media presence. Besides, someone moaning about lack of money is scarcely going to fit in at Everton.

I do think that Poyet fancies himself as a Prem manager, I'm not totally convinced that many Prem chairmen are of the same thought. He could turn up at Chelsea as Mourinho's assistant though - I wouldn't rule that out

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
De Matteo now favourite for Everton job and Hughes for Stoke ........ Possibly Martinez to us then?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
De Matteo now favourite for Everton job and Hughes for Stoke ........ Possibly Martinez to us then?

Considering Everton asked to speak to Martinez last Thursday, I would assume he is their number one target. Kenwright has said he's willing to pay the £2m, so I reckon that's a done deal. He was never going to come to us.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
But what about us? We are entitled to £2.5m if Gus goes elsewhere, if his contract is terminated and he walks into a new job tomorrow, we get nothing.

If we get rid of Gus on a misconduct charge it will only be after a long court battle. At the moment Gus and Tony are playing chicken with each other. I think that as soon as a club comes in Gus's
contract will be terminated by mutual consent and charges dropped. I think we will still be paying Gus some compensation but not the whole 2.5 M.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If we get rid of Gus on a misconduct charge it will only be after a long court battle. At the moment Gus and Tony are playing chicken with each other. I think that as soon as a club comes in Gus's
contract will be terminated by mutual consent and charges dropped. I think we will still be paying Gus some compensation but not the whole 2.5 M.

Many on here still think we're going to be getting comp for GP when another club comes in for him. I don't see that happening at all. We'll be lucky to come out evens, I reckon.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

If he has a contract witn us and another club comes for him we will receive the compo from them. I get the feeling now that you are right about playing chicken with each other. Might be better for all if he is out on gardening leave now, meaning we can replace and wait for a club to come in for him which will happen in the end

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But Poyet wanted out, so there's no way rather than just accept his resignation, and not pay compensation to him, that we'll suspend him in order to sack him and pay the compensation.

???

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

Wigan want £2m compensation for Martinez so I think you can forget that one.

i thought the whole reason behind martinez resigning was because they got relegated... cant see him leaving a championship club to go another one... i would of thought he would end up at prem or top flight european team...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here