Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi To Leave Albion After Tomorrow's Game

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve seen that even though he’s left by way of mutual consent there is still a clause in his contract that a club looking to recruit him will have to compensate us. Fabrizio I think….( yeah I know). But this seems to be realistic. We won’t get £12m but I expect we’d get something.
Stops his departure by ‘mutual consent’ and then him being Bayern Munich manager the next day without us getting anything.
I expect this clause is time bound. Ie after say three months it doesn’t apply.
If they’ve ’mutually consented’ to nullifying the contract they were both party to, there are no clauses anymore, the contract is ended.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Naylor:

The departure of Roberto De Zerbi from Brighton & Hove Albion boils down to one core issue. There are irreconcilable differences between the head coach and owner-chairman Tony Bloom about how the club should operate in the transfer market. Bloom will not budge on the principles that have served them so well up to now. De Zerbi is equally strong-minded about what he believes he needs to maintain progress.

Thanks for sharing this, very interesting. I do worry that our approach is becoming a bit inflexible. If you take the article as truth, RDZ is not wrong that we probably need to supplement the youngsters and old uns with a few players of the ‘right’ age. That said, if as the article suggests Dahoud and Igor were his pushing then he bears a lot of responsibility for one of our worst transfer windows in recent times.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
If they’ve ’mutually consented’ to nullifying the contract they were both party to, there are no clauses anymore, the contract is ended.
it might not be as easy as that.
There is a chance there is some kind of legal agreement on the terms of his leaving, that replaces it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
it might not be as easy as that.
There is a chance there is some kind of legal agreement on the terms of his leaving, that replaces it.
Would be interesting to know, wonder if we'll ever find out, either directly or indirectly. Either way, I'm sure Bloom has squeezed out the absolute best agreement.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wharton, Endo, Gross
or
Wharton, Endo, Gilmour

works. Just an example, would’ve cost £34m. Never believe the NSC woefully poor attempt at propaganda “Ah, you want TB to pump in even more of his personal money”.
Baleba will be the one next year along with one other, if Gilmour then he needs to be a little more decisive. Gross is an odd one, has so much to offer but for far too long this season has been in the wrong place at the wrong time, not his fault.

For me the season just lasted too long. Now for cricket.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Our centre midfield is shit, whoever the manager is. A collection of incredibly slow players, with one promising work in progress. Up against 2 or 3 powerhouses every week. At RB, there is no decent cover for Velts.
It is (comparatively) shit. But not SO SHIT that the whole f***ing thing collapses. Set the side up to Nick results and not dogmatically follow the same path. RDZ f***ed up in Rome and he’s lost his Shit ever since

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Wharton, Endo, Gross
or
Wharton, Endo, Gilmour

works. Just an example, would’ve cost £34m. Never believe the NSC woefully poor attempt at propaganda “Ah, you want TB to pump in even more of his personal money”.
We dropped a bollock with Wharton (and Scott). As we did with Olise. And Eze.
Fair to say Palace are a bit better at picking the better Champ youngsters than us.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It is (comparatively) shit. But not SO SHIT that the whole f***ing thing collapses. Set the side up to Nick results and not dogmatically follow the same path. RDZ f***ed up in Rome and he’s lost his Shit ever since
What does setting up a side to get results look like, exactly? We have no midfield to protect a dodgy defence, no forward who can hold it up, and no width to play out to other than Barco
Squad depth is a joke

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Anyone we get in as a replacement won't be as good as RDZ. That was my initial reaction yesterday and that's my considered opinion today.

Seemingly the worry for the last 6 months has been that we'd lose him to another club, through a decision that was out of our control, by another club paying his release clause.

For us to essentially take the decision ourselves seems pretty foolish to me.

I'm slightly bewildered by it all and not especially looking forward to what comes next.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Wasn't the policy wavered to allow de Zerbi to get who he wanted - Dahoud and Fati perhaps? - in, then? Many of us think it possibly was - and that it didn't go well!
That’s pretty much the what the Athletic article says. Dahoud, Fati and Igor. If he pushed for those 3 and doesn’t recognise it failed and still wants ‘his’ picks I can understand why TB has pulled the trigger.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

My innate football nature would be more cautious …. one CM with pace always protecting the CB’s, never venturing beyond the centre line, one FB with pace/nous always staying back too. But what do we know, RDZ got us to 6th with high risk-reward football.

I thought we were PL shit well before Rome. Drunks swayed by European away weeks failed to clock months of PL ineptutude.

I don’t know what Iraola or Glasner would’ve done differently with our woefully unbalanced squad, and told no January first team additions. Their teams now have CM midfield powerhouses with pace, fullbacks who destroy wingers, pace to burn and some in attack. In the course of just one summer, plus some key injuries, the whole thing unravelled.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We dropped a bollock with Wharton (and Scott). As we did with Olise. And Eze.
Fair to say Palace are a bit better at picking the better Champ youngsters than us.

Olise
Eze
Wharton
Mateta
Gueye
Munoz

Out of nowhere, Parish has done a Starlizard, he’s sitting on £100m’s of potential sales whenever he chooses.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
What does setting up a side to get results look like, exactly? We have no midfield to protect a dodgy decence, no forward who can hold it up, and no width to play out to other than Barco
Squad depth is a joke
Bollocks. Our midfield is (young and) light. It needs addressing. But if you know that - set the side up with any available/suitable talented footballers to keep it tight.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bollocks. Our midfield is (young and) light. It needs addressing. But if you know that - set the side up with any available/suitable talented footballers to keep it tight.

Radio Sussex today post match mentioned the young players on their own aren’t good enough to deliver PL wins, plus too many older players. We need to recruit mid 20’s players this summer to give the team balance.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Radio Sussex today post match mentioned the young players on their own aren’t good enough to deliver PL wins, plus too many older players. We need to recruit mid 20’s players this summer to give the team balance.

Which according to The Athletic is what Roberto wanted (and someone raised in the fans forum to much applause). It's not going to happen unfortunately.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which according to The Athletic is what Roberto wanted (and someone raised in the fans forum to much applause). It's not going to happen unfortunately.

The ball’s in Bloom’s court. Depends how much he wants us to shine next season, or doesn’t mind a few seasons lower mid half as we start an incremental ascent again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good. Because mid-upper 20s players in their prime, fully PL oven-plucked and ready, cost £50 - £60M (or more) and will demand wages of £100-£150K a week (or more). That's why we're not in that market.

Personally, I hope we stay out of it.

I thought the Athletic article was a good one, reinforcing what many of us thought might be the case. We have Starlizard or whatever, top analysts and a fantastic recruitment team; any manager who wants to bypass that system may get a little bit of leeway when his credit is high enough, but when his way doesn't work out, can't reasonably expect to get any more of his own picks..

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The ball’s in Bloom’s court. Depends how much he wants us to shine next season, or doesn’t mind a few seasons lower mid half as we start an incremental ascent again.
The BALL is in Bloom’s court and he’s said ‘f*** off’ the model is this. Whoever comes in will know (quadruply more than RDZ) that that’s how Bloom rolls.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The BALL is in Bloom’s court and he’s said ‘f*** off’ the model is this. Whoever comes in will know (quadruply more than RDZ) that that’s how Bloom rolls.

I’m not talking about managers, they come and go quickly. Done to death on nsc in the last 30 hours.

Instead, whether Bloom will want to enhance the first team with some new players in the mid 20’s age bracket? Or stick with a load of young players, plus Dunk/Welbeck/Milner/Webster/Solly/Velts.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Anyone we get in as a replacement won't be as good as RDZ. That was my initial reaction yesterday and that's my considered opinion today.

Seemingly the worry for the last 6 months has been that we'd lose him to another club, through a decision that was out of our control, by another club paying his release clause.

For us to essentially take the decision ourselves seems pretty foolish to me.

I'm slightly bewildered by it all and not especially looking forward to what comes next.
As Andy Naylor says in the Athletic article, there was a fundamental clash of ideas between TB and RDZ regarding the transfer market, one wants to carry on as usual, the other wants to break the business model, essentially RDZ wants the team to be the best, TB wants the Club to be financially secure and the team as good as they can get it. Think back to the last night at the Amex the previous season RDZ was already making pointed remarks to TB about the squad. Neither would budge and a break is therefore in the best interests of all parties. Considering what Tony Bloom has done for this club I am fully supportive of this outcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here