[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi: "Now we don't have high motivation"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
De Zerbi now being discussed on TS (again - this time Kelly/Murphy).

paraphrased :

’Best players sold ‘from under him’’
’Huge injury list’
’Extra games in Europe’

But…..

Too predictable to play against
Too much rotation/too many changes, never nailed down a PL team (injuries accepted)
Teams setting out to press high and catch us in possession
De Z not helping with his comments on speculation about his future

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This season has been the worst for injuries in the last forty plus years that I can remember. For an Albion manager to achieve mid table and last 16 in the Europa league is not easy bearing in mind these injuries. For some it is not good enough and they want him gone.
I would imagine they would also sack every manager in the Premier League if they were a fan of those clubs. Pep won’t win the Champions league so surely needs to be sacked etc.
They will claim they want him gone for his press conferences. If we were still top 6 they wouldn’t be talking about them. De Zerbi did amazing to get us through to Feb in a good position when we felt injuries were clearing up. It has been a hammer blow to the manager, players and fans to be back to 8 or 9 injured. We have had this since October. Could this be the reason De Zerbi and the players are struggling.
If we make the right signings we can challenge for Europe again next year with De Zerbi.
I hear he told the players he thinks the club is shit and he's off in the summer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
De Zerbi now being discussed on TS (again).
Well, to be fair, they can talk about Jamie Vardy for only so long. Should he of left Leicester when he had the chance? We will never know. But he should. Of. :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hear he told the players he thinks the club is shit and he's off in the summer.
Luke Ketchup GIF by Tactile Games

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s that then. Confirmed
Rumour has it he's off to West Ham. People think it will be a good fit. Hungry old players, legacy stadium, won the world cup. Who could resist the lure of a big time? ???

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Rumour has it he's off to West Ham. People think it will be a good fit. Hungry old players, legacy stadium, won the world cup. Who could resist the lure of a big time? ???
When you say 'legacy stadium' Did you actually mean 'Mega barn with no roof'? With all the soul and charisma of the Brighton Centre full of Tories?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When you say 'legacy stadium' Did you actually mean 'Mega barn with no roof'? With all the soul and charisma of the Brighton Centre full of Tories?
Yes. In a nutshell.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Must be particular gutting for Dunk. Last season beside him he had Colwill, Mac, Caicedo, peak Veltman and an inform Estupinan. In defensive passages of play, what a unit, our best ever.

Imho that’s where our problems have lay all season, even back to the first 63 minutes at the Amex against West Ham, the writing was on the wall.
That does intimate the point of continuity of selection (especially back five and CM duo) which we had a lot of last season. We've had the opposite this season, most due to factors beyond our control, others due to decisions made by RDZ. What are we up to now: 130 changes?
Much of this discussion has brought back to me a widely held comment on here justifying the rotation earlier this season which was that this policy would bear fruit in the second half of the season. Well, it hasn't.
In terms of rotation, look at what Arteta (and to a slightly less extreme example, Pep) does: despite playing c60 games a season, you can pretty much predict their starting 11 with just the odd tweak here and there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In terms of rotation, look at what Arteta (and to a slightly less extreme example, Pep) does: despite playing c60 games a season, you can pretty much predict their starting 11 with just the odd tweak here and there.
City won the league last season with the fewest amount of players - 19 I think it was

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That does intimate the point of continuity of selection (especially back five and CM duo) which we had a lot of last season. We've had the opposite this season, most due to factors beyond our control, others due to decisions made by RDZ. What are we up to now: 130 changes?
Much of this discussion has brought back to me a widely held comment on here justifying the rotation earlier this season which was that this policy would bear fruit in the second half of the season. Well, it hasn't.

I found that “rotation paying later dividends” argument attractive. It was said and I concurred that Arsenal, West Ham, Everton, Fulham and Villa would pay a price from February onwards in starting with essentially the same 11 (where they could) every PL game. Whilst we, tortoise and hare, would excel.

Interestingly, this season, it’s been the exact opposite.

The 11, 12 or 13 core Arsenal, Villa, Everton and West Ham players haven’t been running on empty for months. Our injuries would be a big factor. But in addition I wonder if we’ve been too clever by half. Like chess, planning strategically several games ahead, whilst others less subtly had laser focus on simply trying to win their next PL game.

Anecdotally, throughout Sept to March, always soul destroying whilst on the park n ride to see the names of Lallana or Milner on the team sheet, or a 2 man midfield, or the goalkeeping carousel. We all used to laugh, until the wins dried up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports