[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi: "Now we don't have high motivation"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Honestly think too much is being made of all of this.

We've lost motivation because Europe is out of sight (and has been for a while if we're honest). Except last season, we as a club peter out consistently as soon as we're safe or promoted.

RDZ's style relies on trusting the players. But when those players aren't of the highest quality it all falls apart. It's a big fault of his to not adapt to situations in pursuit of some sort of footballing nirvana. It's also exactly what got us into Europe. I have faith in him and 100% want him to stay.

I cannot believe so many are willing to say they want him out I really can't.

Next season, I think he'll stay and given the amount of lessons we've all be forced to learn I think we'll be more adaptive, make better signings and hopefully not run the players into the ground like we've done this year.
He shows absolutely no signs of adaptation though, where are you getting this belief he can and will change?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would wager that 6 wins from 28 games is relegation form, so our last 6 games being relegation form, shouldn't really come as a surprise.
Still 29 points from 28 games so over 1 ppg and well above the relegation squabble this season. If our first 6 games only yielded 1 ppg we’d still be level with Brentford.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He must be really pissed off. Right now, we're headed for 14th position, whereas we could/should have been looking to finish about 8th. It may not mean much for us as fans, but that's 20m in prize money that might have covered the wages of 7-8 first team players for a season.
It means something to me as a fan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep - would also put my tin hat on and point a finger at the skipper and one or two other senior players in particular if motivation is that much of an issue. It was Gilmour yesterday that was doing most of the shouting and gesticulating.
Nobody should be pointing anything at Lewis Dunk. He and Joao Pedro were stratospheres above the rest yesterday, in terms of effort and ability.

Dunk was playing in an utterly laughable back four, especially by the second half, when Offiah's legs were starting to go. Barco looked aright going forward, but can't defend and is embarrassingly bad in the air (he literally just jumps 'near' the opponent, who proceeds to head it entirely unimpeded). And whilst Offiah was raw and ran out of steam, and Barco can't defend, they were both still miles better than Igor, who was a shambles from start to finish.

Webster is streets ahead of him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nobody should be pointing anything at Lewis Dunk. He and Joao Pedro were stratospheres above the rest yesterday, in terms of effort and ability.

Dunk was playing in an utterly laughable back four, especially by the second half, when Offiah's legs were starting to go. Barco looked aright going forward, but can't defend and is embarrassingly bad in the air (he literally just jumps 'near' the opponent, who proceeds to head it entirely unimpeded). And whilst Offiah was raw and ran out of steam, and Barco can't defend, they were both still miles better than Igor, who was a shambles from start to finish.

Webster is streets ahead of him.
Interesting as not how I saw it (apart from Igor who had a really poor game) and I was also referring to the last few weeks in general not just yesterday.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He fell out of with Sanchez (who wasn’t playing anyway) and Trossard. Mac Allister we agreed to go with a new deal - granted. Caicedo was unfortunate but no one is keeping a playing with £100M on the table

He recommended and was given Dahoud & Fati, both he’s binned off already

And I make the point so many players have gone backwards this season under RDZ. Adingra had a much better season (Europa league included) at USG than he has with us all season. Mitoma looked nowhere near as effective before we played him with a back injury against Sheffield Utd which then ended his season etc etc

I’m staggered people think this is the absolute best that can be got out of this squad

The squad he has now is not the one he agreed to manage, and the changes were not things that would have been expected, so he didn't 'know what he signed up to'. He didn't know he would fall out with a couple of top players. He didn't know the players he recommended would fail to live up to their potential, he didn't know pretty much every player in the squad would have a period of injury, some for extended or season ending lengths etc.

I'm not saying this is the absolute best he can get out of the squad (a significant portion of which is currently injured).

My point is an attempt to explain, rather than blame. He signed up to manage a club that had a strong, fairly experienced squad, that had the potential to finish in the top ten of the premier league. He was sold on the idea we've all been sold on - Brighton look for cheaper, untested talent, taking a chance on bringing them through and look to sell one a season for big money to fund the next crop. He bought into that.

For a variety of reasons (offers too good to turn down, fallings out, loans ending, injuries, etc) the squad has had a significant drop in quality, one too large to maintain the momentum from last season if you only get to use the youngsters. Most managers would expect more experience would be brought in to replace at least some of what was lost. It's needed to help support the development and progression of the younger/less exerienced talent.

The club did not do that. There are multiple reasons (previously quality players not living up to expectations, clubs not willing to sell, limits in our own valuation/budget etc), but it is a situation De Zerbi wasn't expecting when he bought in to Bloom/Barber's vision.

The reality of the club prioritising survival and financial prudence over the desire for a top ten finish and their refusal to budge on that will be a blow to him/his ego/his confidence, that's only natural. Workers up and down the country are having their morale tested by cost cutting as a result of the cost of living crisis and the job they're doing being different to what they signed up to.

I'm not going to get pissy with him (or the club) over this.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
But there is enough in the bank to warrant some trust on our part?

Or is it all take and no give?
To suggest there has been no give or leniency on the fans behalf is a bit, meh.

Because I suggest the way we set up against Burnley at home, Luton, Fulham, Roma, Burnley, Bournemouth, away we do stick by him, it is wearing a bit thin now though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting as not how I saw it (apart from Igor who had a really poor game) and I was also referring to the last few weeks in general not just yesterday.
Dunk literally saved three further goals, by himself - once in each half with last ditch interceptions (that the Bournemouth fans claimed were handballs) and once in the first half throwing himself in front of a shot to deflect over the bar.

If anyone thinks he wasn't leading the team effectively, in terms of directions or whatever - perhaps. If anyone thinks there was any lack of commitment, or lack of leadership by example, then I'm astonished.

Mar 8, 2024
He fell out of with Sanchez (who wasn’t playing anyway) and Trossard. Mac Allister we agreed to go with a new deal - granted. Caicedo was unfortunate but no one is keeping a playing with £100M on the table

He recommended and was given Dahoud & Fati, both he’s binned off already

And I make the point so many players have gone backwards this season under RDZ. Adingra had a much better season (Europa league included) at USG than he has with us all season. Mitoma looked nowhere near as effective before we played him with a back injury against Sheffield Utd which then ended his season etc etc

I’m staggered people think this is the absolute best that can be got out of this squad
Your points about the recruitment are valid but have to whole heartedly disagree that players are going backwards under RDZ. Granted form across the whole squad hasn't hit the heights of last season but individually we have seen the likes of JPVH, Hinshelwood and Gilmour improve massively.

Even Adingra, 6 Premier League goals whilst adapting to the jump in quality from Belgium to the Premier (and being young player of the tournament at AFCON) doesn't represent having a worse season to me :unsure:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The squad he has now is not the one he agreed to manage, and the changes were not things that would have been expected, so he didn't 'know what he signed up to'. He didn't know he would fall out with a couple of top players. He didn't know the players he recommended would fail to live up to their potential, he didn't know pretty much every player in the squad would have a period of injury, some for extended or season ending lengths etc.

I'm not saying this is the absolute best he can get out of the squad (a significant portion of which is currently injured).

My point is an attempt to explain, rather than blame. He signed up to manage a club that had a strong, fairly experienced squad, that had the potential to finish in the top ten of the premier league. He was sold on the idea we've all been sold on - Brighton look for cheaper, untested talent, taking a chance on bringing them through and look to sell one a season for big money to fund the next crop. He bought into that.

For a variety of reasons (offers too good to turn down, fallings out, loans ending, injuries, etc) the squad has had a significant drop in quality, one too large to maintain the momentum from last season if you only get to use the youngsters. Most managers would expect more experience would be brought in to replace at least some of what was lost. It's needed to help support the development and progression of the younger/less exerienced talent.

The club did not do that. There are multiple reasons (previously quality players not living up to expectations, clubs not willing to sell, limits in our own valuation/budget etc), but it is a situation De Zerbi wasn't expecting when he bought in to Bloom/Barber's vision.

The reality of the club prioritising survival and financial prudence over the desire for a top ten finish and their refusal to budge on that will be a blow to him/his ego/his confidence, that's only natural. Workers up and down the country are having their morale tested by cost cutting as a result of the cost of living crisis and the job they're doing being different to what they signed up to.

I'm not going to get pissy with him (or the club) over this.
Not sure about this - they're not looking at one season in isolation, it's a long term plan to be a consistent top ten side (which doesn't necessarily mean we'll do it every season - so many factors come into play) plus being financially sustainable. If having one season where things go a bit tits up as a result of pursuing that strategy but subsequent seasons prove that decision-making to be right in the long term then it was the right thing to do.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
My POV as a fan about what RDZ meant by ‘motivation’ is my own and I am entitled to it as are you are to yours - that’s not being patronising to anyone it is not being ‘happy clappy’ or fatalistic, it is just me taking a middle road with all of it, saying why and trying to be grounded in reality as I perceive it that’s all. I also just happen to be a little more optimistic than you in our ability to bounce back once we strengthen the squad, RDZ has the players he needs and yes, of course, is happier (than he has been since January) and we have near/full fitness back. I disagree he has made it clear he has already left. Happy for you to disagree but no need to make it personal mate - there are a lot of fans that disagree with both me and you, let people express their view without the personal barbs against them if you disagree with them heh? 👍

😳 I’m racist now too?
Totton on ignore. Racist. Not you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dunk literally saved three further goals, by himself - once in each half with last ditch interceptions (that the Bournemouth fans claimed were handballs) and once in the first half throwing himself in front of a shot to deflect over the bar.

If anyone thinks he wasn't leading the team effectively, in terms of directions or whatever - perhaps. If anyone thinks there was any lack of commitment, or lack of leadership by example, then I'm astonished.
Yep, but i was referring to leadership rather than blocking shots. He didn't seem at all vocal compared to normal.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK

We lost again and some people can't cope with that. Sad, really. :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not sure about this - they're not looking at one season in isolation, it's a long term plan to be a consistent top ten side (which doesn't necessarily mean we'll do it every season - so many factors come into play) plus being financially sustainable. If having one season where things go a bit tits up as a result of pursuing that strategy but subsequent seasons prove that decision-making to be right in the long term then it was the right thing to do.
I'm not sure what I said that you're disagreeing with?

If it's "The reality of the club prioritising survival and financial prudence over the desire for a top ten finish" that was intended as the short term. i.e. Essentially what you say - the club looking at the bigger picture and not abandoning their philosphy in one window for the sake of another top ten finish this year. Managers come and go so naturally look at the short term, what they need to succeed this season - because they might not be here next. The club will look to longer term and faced this season with the choice of 'well, we won't go down, so we can stick to the budget/philosophy' or 'blow the budget/philosophy to finish top ten again this year' they will prioritise the former, but from a bigger picture perspective.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
No ‘fraid not - @Pevenseagull was calling me a ‘racist’ and saying he put me on ignore. I have no idea why I am being called a racist for voicing an opinion about RDZ like every other member on NSC recently though (or any other opinion for that matter) - probably less than many as most of the threads about this I have on ignore 😳

Mods?
Are you sure? If so, he's a weirdo. :lolol:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
No ‘fraid not - @Pevenseagull was calling me a ‘racist’ and saying he put me on ignore. I have no idea why I am being called a racist for voicing an opinion about RDZ like every other member on NSC recently though (or any other opinion for that matter) - probably less than many as most of the threads about this I have on ignore 😳

Mods?

Eh?

I'm off out now.

I'll check for the apology later.

In the interim can everyone just play nicely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports