Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi: "Now we don't have high motivation"

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
In a season when we were TOP of the EPL for a couple of days, WON our UEL group of death, and MAINTAINED a reasonable position in the table for the vast majority of the season, I think some fans out there need to ease off before their stomach acid stress levels explode.
A lot of overreactions going on this evening given that not so long ago we were lauding the best Brighton team of all time.

If you don’t realise that things aren’t always rosey, and that football is guaranteed to let you down more than lift you up, then maybe football isn’t the sport for you… x
Condescending rot.

There exists a balance between being proud of our achievements generally, which I would imagine all of us are, and being concerned by the abject performances we've seen the last couple of months.

Nothing to do with not understanding the peaks and troughs of being a football fan.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Something has been badly wrong, behind the scenes, for a few months and the feeble cup losses at Wolves and then Roma away meant our season ended a while ago and now it has all turned to shit.
That's how it feels and looks to me. Hopefully, TB has his finger on the pulse (not being lead blindly by RDZ), knows what's going on and the right outcome happens sooner or later.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I just look back to the giddy heights of Ajax away. I was sitting in my hotel room in Holland after the match thinking -
"it doesn't get much better than this, but it will have to come to an end some time". And here we are, sadly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How ever todays line up was RDZ delivering a two finger salute to bloom and barber
How so ? Exactly who should have started that didn’t? Enciso isn’t fully fit, Welbeck can‘t start two games in 4 days, Baleba was awful v Man City and Gilmour needed to come in anyway……..

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
The 'we don't have high motivation' also smacks of a man who doesn't actually know how to turn this around. There's no evidence for us or from his previous clubs which says he's got the skill or the will to turn this around. What a shambles of a one trick pony.

What the hell is TB making of this? I'm not interested in PB's "oh Roberto is very emotional after a defeat" spin. This all seems irreversible.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How do you explain Roma then 😵‍💫

They were a better team than us, big atmosphere which players didn’t deal with, playing seasoned internationals with a lot of European experience playing with confidence..
I think he just got Roma away totally wrong.

And from that moment the season was over in Europe - and given how much hype and emphasis was around Europe, I can perfectly well see why the motivation/ desire / enthusiasm dropped. It did for me - so why would it not have done for the players and staff?

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I think he just got Roma away totally wrong.

And from that moment the season was over in Europe - and given how much hype and emphasis was around Europe, I can perfectly well see why the motivation/ desire / enthusiasm dropped. It did for me - so why would it not have done for the players and staff?

Similar has happened to Liverpool after going out to Atalanta.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It is as basic as the quality of players that have been available to him in the second half of the season.
It's not rocket science. Guardiola, Klopp or Ferguson would struggle to get a tune out of the players available.

If there is a question to be answered, it is should RDZ shelve his principles and go full-Hughton?
I'm glad he hasn't.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I know it’s unfashionable, but I have sympathy with RDZ (and the players). The first half of the season was probably the most exciting in BHAFC’s entire history….and we coped amazingly well, despite relentless injuries. After Christmas the injury situation just kept getting worse, and of course the European dream ended.
It must have been so frustrating for RDZ to continually be losing players - and mostly our best players - to injury. And also really difficult for the players to see their team-mates going through the wringer with serious injuries. It must be particularly tough for young athletes to cope with serious injuries, and I’m sure for some of them their mental health has suffered.
We expect them all to be highly motivated all the time because they are professional athletes. But in reality it just doesn’t work like that.
I hope there isn’t too much else going on behind the scenes….and (assuming he’s just going through the wringer himself), I hope RDZ is getting the right sort of support from PB and TB.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
For a while I've thought some of RDZ's comments have been lost in translation.
Now I've just got no idea what he talks about.
I've liked him from day one and felt the player's and fans alike totally bought into his philosophy of the game.
Once again I've got no idea what's going on.
Just back from Bournemouth and from seeing the team selection to the inevitable conclusion of the game I simply have no idea what is so wrong with Roberto, he had none of his usual passion he just looked a broken man.
I still think he is potentially the right man for the job but clearly needs to be a big clear the air meeting to sort what has gone so wrong and it has gone so wrong.
Before anyone says, it really isn't just about the injuries.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
In a season when we were TOP of the EPL for a couple of days, WON our UEL group of death, and MAINTAINED a reasonable position in the table for the vast majority of the season, I think some fans out there need to ease off before their stomach acid stress levels explode.
A lot of overreactions going on this evening given that not so long ago we were lauding the best Brighton team of all time.

If you don’t realise that things aren’t always rosey, and that football is guaranteed to let you down more than lift you up, then maybe football isn’t the sport for you… x
At last a voice of reason.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s amazing that we can be furious Potter has the audacity to leave, then 18 months later with our first dip in form for over 2 years we’re demanding our manager be sacked. Bit of a joke really, only it’s on us.
How long is a dip allowed to run though? Until end season? Into next and the first what, 10 games? No wins in 20 by then?

Btw, why does nobody ever question the captain when the team looks like it can't be arsed.

How many seasons has Dunk been here when we've been on the beach - or worse, the piss - at the end of the season.

Second half today he was as guilty as the rest of them, but will escape criticism because he's Lewis Dunk.
Dunky still gets lots of blocks and headers in but even he is struggling a bit. Can't see him being picked for euros remembering he got slaughtered in his last England game.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Don't think there's much wrong with what RDZ said in that interview. He looks burnt out to me. He's human like the rest of us and trying to do the job here combined with travel to Italy and family commitments (not that I know what those are exactly) is taking its toll. I think any chance of a big move for him has gone for the moment. He'll have to sit down with Tony at the end of the season and try to work if what he's done for the past two seasons is sustainable.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yup, I hope TB moves him on tomorrow, I don't think he will worry about 20m compensation in the circumstances....

Erm I think he would ! 20m is a lot of money. He needs to sit down with RDZ after the man u game and see if he has any fight left. And then come to some kind of agreement if he wants to go. However , I'm sure bloom will not allow him to join anywhere else for at least 6 months as part of that agreement though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here