Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi: "Now we don't have high motivation"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do you rate our centre midfield players and options?

With Sheffield United’s, shirley the slowest and most defensively crap in the PL.

Even Burnley and Luton outclassed us in that department. Powder puff, little structure, weak.
With MacA and Caicedo around him, Gross shone, Gilmour couldn’t get much of a look in.

As much as I love how far Gilmour has come on, expecting him and Baleba to fill the void of those departing players left us vulnerable, and so it has come to pass.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
With MacA and Caicedo around him, Gross shone, Gilmour couldn’t get much of a look in.

As much as I love how far Gilmour has come on, expecting him and Baleba to fill the void of those departing players left us vulnerable, and so it has come to pass.
And leads to the lack of any goals we are seeing at the moment
Ali Mac always had a goal in him and even Moses but Gilmour has scored none as has baleba

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How do you explain Roma then 😵‍💫
We weren't demotivated. We were shit.

You can’t tell me Dunk didn’t want to win that challenge with Lukaku? He just wasn’t good enough to.

Tactics contributed for sure. But Pedro and Mitoma, the very players I mentioned, didn’t play against Roma.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I said it on another thread, but our three remaining home games would ordinarily be mouth-watering.

The shithousery of Villa and the chance to dent their Champions League ambitions, the panto-villains of Chelsea and the chance to send Ten Hag on his way with another Amex defeat, but it feels very difficult to get excited about any of them right now.
Exactly this. The prospect of wins in any of those 3 games as well as Newcastle away should be motivation enough. Have the players really disappeared so far up their own arses that they don’t appreciate it’s still a big deal for Brighton. Hard to believe. I bloody hope not.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And leads to the lack of any goals we are seeing at the moment
Ali Mac always had a goal in him and even Moses but Gilmour has scored none as has baleba
The big question is whether we should have tried what Gary ONeill did at Wolves and go Hughton-esque for a while.

There is an irony though in fans seemingly wanting us to revert to April 2019 tactics.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

As far as I can remember I’ve felt any successful team needs a mobile DM’er or two, tackling, protecting the back 4. In the modern game that might be three great allrounders interchanging. At all times at least one with some pace sitting near the last defender/s. With structure/discipline to their game.

The game hasn’t fundamentally changed. It used to be called earning the right to win a game.

Once it became apparent that Dahoud was a box to box player and not a very good one, I realised we literally didn’t have one quality pivot who ticked those boxes.

If only we could play Wilder, Hodgson or Ajax teams every week!

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
The big question is whether we should have tried what Gary ONeill did at Wolves and go Hughton-esque for a while.

There is an irony though in fans seemingly wanting us to revert to April 2019 tactics.
Not gone the full hog but somewhere in between .
Playing Steele in goal and the way we played against city was at best naive . We should have sat back at 0-0 for as long as possible city would have taken risks and we could of won it and done the basics like row Z when needed
How ever todays line up was RDZ delivering a two finger salute to bloom and barber

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Been saying it for months. He should be sacked after that Roma interview. He’s fluked last season due to great recruitment. Been awful the whole of this season after Man U away, except 4 random games. He’s toxic and not sure why bloom is waiting as no one will pay his release clause and high change we go down if stick with him next season.

Also if the person I employed said he can’t motivate team which is worth £10m with a couple of wins in prize money then he’s gone immediately.

May 16, 2023
Oh for goodness sake we lost a football game the season is over it was over before the Man City game, todays game was a typical end of season means nothing game we will not make Europe, out of any domestic cups, safe for another season cannot be relegated.
When maybe we secretly thought this might be the season we win something.
The team has been devastated with injuries and held together with kids and the walking wounded some of whom have decided to get lingering injuries operated upon now rather than late May early June.
It’s quite an unusual season in the fact we are not fighting relegation, promotion or a European spot.
Talk of comings and goings abound of which none of us has any real insight.
With the summer international tournaments upon the horizon and with so many of our players in contention for a place in their national team why risk injuries at this stage.
With all that in mind I am not surprised motivation is low my motivation is low.
That's all well and good but his substitutions, for example, have been quite bizarre this week. Its like he's being difficult just for the sake of it. Its not right. If you've decided you're going at least don't p*** around the fans (that you supposedly respect) on the way out

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
In a season when we were TOP of the EPL for a couple of days, WON our UEL group of death, and MAINTAINED a reasonable position in the table for the vast majority of the season, I think some fans out there need to ease off before their stomach acid stress levels explode.
A lot of overreactions going on this evening given that not so long ago we were lauding the best Brighton team of all time.

If you don’t realise that things aren’t always rosey, and that football is guaranteed to let you down more than lift you up, then maybe football isn’t the sport for you… x
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, you could look at it from a completely different angle as well. That this team have gone from genuinely one of the best teams in the Premier League to relegation fodder in less than a season. I’m not suggesting we are relegation fodder, but the fact is that that is exactly what we have been for the last few months.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not gone the full hog but somewhere in between .
Playing Steele in goal and the way we played against city was at best naive . We should have sat back at 0-0 for as long as possible city would have taken risks and we could of won it and done the basics like row Z when needed
How ever todays line up was RDZ delivering a two finger salute to bloom and barber
Was it? I was quite excited to see some of the youngsters start. Reckon Steele would have dealt with their first better too.

What do we know? RDZ may have even discussed giving youngsters a chance with TB and Barber.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sh1t numbers across the board.

IMG_1965.png

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I'm perplexed by some of the reactions. The general feeling amongst fans before today has been that the season is over, Europe is out of sight and seen more than a few seemingly not bothered by a top half finish.
The team should be fighting for us, the fans. They have given up on us!
He literally says the team should be playing for the club and the fans.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Isn’t top half worth a 25% bonus (or something like that) for all non playing staff?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I was at sod it for a game of soldiers after Roma away. I reckon it’s quite hard for our coaches and players not to be.

There’s an interesting psychological aspect to this. Potter (and, to an extent, Hughton) were of the “never get too high in good times or too low after a loss” school of thinking. RDZ isn’t. His heart’s on his sleeve and he celebrates triumph and laments disaster.

As a fan, I identify with RDZ. My highs are high and my lows are low.

Might not be the best thing for players, however.

But, notwithstanding that, it didn’t protect Potter and CH from terrible runs in the Premier League, where players looked just as demotivated.
That attitude probably did help those teams get out of those runs though (or at least dig out some draws when they were needed).

I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole manager thing, but I'll be a bit disappointed if they don't manage to pick themselves up to some degree before the end of this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here