Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi: "Now we don't have high motivation"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes! We honestly may as well get rid of him now rather than waiting till the end of the season. He’s pathetic.
I think we have all worked out how you feel about RDZ in your myriad of anti posts.

who would you like to see in next then

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is Enciso fully fit? Welbeck finds a Thursday - Sun probably tough too. Would Veltman have made any difference? Similar result and we’d perhaps be asking why he doesn’t play some of the youngsters?

Baleba’s omission surprised me though out of all of those.
Didn’t surprise me, he was a right liability against City on Thursday. So often miles out of position.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO MOTIVATE THE PLAYERS FOR Fs SAKE.

It's literally a key part of his job.
I agree, 100%.

But “come on lads, beat Marseille in front of this seething full house, Kaoru and Joao, this is your night” is a lot easier sell than, “come on lads, if we beat Bournemouth in front of 10,000 pensioners with our U21s then we could finish 10th, which is an extra million for Tony and Paul”.

Innit?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I honestly think that is one of the most shocking statements I've ever heard an Albion manager make.
I just listened to the interview.

I have no idea why people are up in arms. That was a perfectly reasonably assessment.

Would people have been happier had he said:

"We should be beating teams like Bournemouth. We have no excuses. I set up the team wrongly. My game plan was wrong. I have undermined the confidence of the players with all my shouting. And I regret tooting myself around other clubs like a two bob whore. I am a disgrace and should be sacked"?

Yes, I think they would. :shrug:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I just listened to the interview.

I have no idea why people are up in arms. That was a perfectly reasonably assessment.

Would people have been happier had he said:

"We should be beating teams like Bournemouth. We have no excuses. I set up the team wrongly. My game plan was wrong. I have undermined the confidence of the players with all my shouting. And I regret tooting myself around other clubs like a two bob whore. I am a disgrace and should be sacked"?

Yes, I think they would. :shrug:
Is that all in the embargoed part of the interview? 🤡

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What did they say about your magnificent hair? #AskingForAFriend
I always wear this first time out.

1714332107968.png

Never give the good stuff away for free.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Re the BBC click bait comments (which I believe is click bait) the following is from the BBC match report:

"I have big confidence in my players. I know how they feel when we lose a game. We lose together and we have keep going together"

Hardly throwing the players under the bus!

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
Something has been badly wrong, behind the scenes, for a few months and the feeble cup losses at Wolves and then Roma away meant our season ended a while ago and now it has all turned to shit.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I agree, 100%.

But “come on lads, beat Marseille in front of this seething full house, Kaoru and Joao, this is your night” is a lot easier sell than, “come on lads, if we beat Bournemouth in front of 10,000 pensioners with our U21s then we could finish 10th, which is an extra million for Tony and Paul”.

Innit?

I agree but that's why he's paid the big bucks and we are working in IT. Somehow from somewhere he should be finding some bullshit excuse to motivate the team and make them think we are prime Real Madrid. My frustration is that he seems to be saying "Sod this for a game of soldiers" as my Dad would say and the team have taken his lead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is Enciso fully fit? Welbeck finds a Thursday - Sun probably tough too. Would Veltman have made any difference? Similar result and we’d perhaps be asking why he doesn’t play some of the youngsters?

Baleba’s omission surprised me though out of all of those.
Sufficient reason for saying De Zebri OUT!!!

For some :shrug:

I am in full 'it is what it is' mood now. Unless a couple of players break rank, and unless RDZ actually does give an interview like the spoof one I paraphrased above, then I am going to advertise among the howlers for someone to step forward, pull up their knickers, and make me a cup of tea.

(If it does all curdle by Thursday, then I will of course get my coat. :lolol: )

I though we were insipid today, by the way.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I agree, 100%.

Innit?
How do you explain Roma then 😵‍💫

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I once voted "Fence" in Potter out polls probably after that Leeds game when he went into the "History lesson" bellendery but I never wanted him out. I could always see we'd made progress.

RDZ can be so inspiring, brilliant and motivational at his best. Currently though, he is Sami Hypia on steroids. The highs are higher but the lows are the lowest. It's like he's given up. It's almost like we've got his maudlin twin brother at the minute. His best is brilliant but he worst is.so much worse.
I’ve never put so much stead in managers tbh, end of the day you rely on a great group of players. As you say, with a fit firing group we were up there with the best, right now I think you’d fancy playing us over everyone else including Sheff Utd and Luton.

But
I once voted "Fence" in Potter out polls probably after that Leeds game when he went into the "History lesson" bellendery but I never wanted him out. I could always see we'd made progress.

RDZ can be so inspiring, brilliant and motivational at his best. Currently though, he is Sami Hypia on steroids. The highs are higher but the lows are the lowest. It's like he's given up. It's almost like we've got his maudlin twin brother at the minute. His best is brilliant but he worst is.so much worse.
i accept your point to a degree, but sometimes too much is put solely on managers.

Step back and with a squad our size with so many key players missing so many minutes I doubt any manager copes with that.

Look at West Ham last season, in a relegation battle until the last few games.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Something has been badly wrong, behind the scenes, for a few months and the feeble cup losses at Wolves and then Roma away meant our season ended a while ago and now it has all turned to shit.

Do you rate our centre midfield players and options?

With Sheffield United’s, shirley the slowest and most defensively crap in the PL.

Even Burnley and Luton outclassed us in that department. Powder puff, little structure, weak.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oh for goodness sake we lost a football game the season is over it was over before the Man City game, todays game was a typical end of season means nothing game we will not make Europe, out of any domestic cups, safe for another season cannot be relegated.
When maybe we secretly thought this might be the season we win something.
The team has been devastated with injuries and held together with kids and the walking wounded some of whom have decided to get lingering injuries operated upon now rather than late May early June.
It’s quite an unusual season in the fact we are not fighting relegation, promotion or a European spot.
Talk of comings and goings abound of which none of us has any real insight.
With the summer international tournaments upon the horizon and with so many of our players in contention for a place in their national team why risk injuries at this stage.
With all that in mind I am not surprised motivation is low my motivation is low.
Because there are literally millions of pounds at stake. Millions of pounds that RDZ supposedly do desperately needs for investment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree but that's why he's paid the big bucks and we are working in IT. Somehow from somewhere he should be finding some bullshit excuse to motivate the team and make them think we are prime Real Madrid. My frustration is that he seems to be saying "Sod this for a game of soldiers" as my Dad would say and the team have taken his lead.
I was at sod it for a game of soldiers after Roma away. I reckon it’s quite hard for our coaches and players not to be.

There’s an interesting psychological aspect to this. Potter (and, to an extent, Hughton) were of the “never get too high in good times or too low after a loss” school of thinking. RDZ isn’t. His heart’s on his sleeve and he celebrates triumph and laments disaster.

As a fan, I identify with RDZ. My highs are high and my lows are low.

Might not be the best thing for players, however.

But, notwithstanding that, it didn’t protect Potter and CH from terrible runs in the Premier League, where players looked just as demotivated.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I said it on another thread, but our three remaining home games would ordinarily be mouth-watering.

The shithousery of Villa and the chance to dent their Champions League ambitions, the panto-villains of Chelsea and the chance to send Ten Hag on his way with another Amex defeat, but it feels very difficult to get excited about any of them right now.

So, how much of that is down to our head coach and our players, as opposed to our (as fans) lingering disappointment at being out of Europe and not heading back in next season?

I’m a dreadful fan anyway, largely listening on the wireless or viewing on the telly, and only in the stands once or twice a season. I still feel deflated though. Are we just projecting our own feelings onto the manager and players?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here