Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi: "Now we don't have high motivation"

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Vomit away my friend. He’s stating (accurately in my opinion) the reason for the slump in form. Nothing to meaningfully play for. He can’t single-handedly make the players care, they have to meet him halfway.

You can be sick of hearing it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true.
If I go into work tomorrow and my boss tells the press that there is nothing to work for until the end of May, do you think I'll work hard?

He wants out without any compo. To be fair to him, he's going a good way about it. Left by "Mutual consent" incoming where he will go to another team and teach them to do Rondo's in their own box, lose the ball and go 1-0.down in the first 15 minutes.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Left by "Mutual consent" incoming where he will go to another team and teach them to do Rondo's in their own box, lose the ball and go 1-0.down in the first 15 minutes.
:lolol:

It’s so ‘out there’ as a new system I’m not surprised that nobody has thought of it before.

No wonder Pep regards de Zerbi as a true ‘original thinker’ and an ‘innovator’ whilst he quietly chuckles to himself and stops of at the club shop on his way out to collect his 3 PL points.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
In a season when we were TOP of the EPL for a couple of days, WON our UEL group of death, and MAINTAINED a reasonable position in the table for the vast majority of the season, I think some fans out there need to ease off before their stomach acid stress levels explode.
A lot of overreactions going on this evening given that not so long ago we were lauding the best Brighton team of all time.

If you don’t realise that things aren’t always rosey, and that football is guaranteed to let you down more than lift you up, then maybe football isn’t the sport for you… x

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Well our last 4 games of the season are all against 'better' teams where normally we would be expected to rise to the occasion and put on a performance, win or lose. It will be interesting to see how they go. Three are at home. I reckon RDZ has to win one of them

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe look at what he actually said instead of a click bait headline....

De Zerbi, asked if a tough situation was due to injuries or other factors as well, said: "Injuries, for sure. Motivation as well.

"Motivation in football, I think (that is) 80 per cent of my work and in my time we kept a big challenge, a big target. In this moment, finishing the Europa League, too many points from the Europe position in the table, we are working for not a clear target.

"It can happen. It's normal, but I cannot accept a game without soul, because we are Brighton and we have to keep respect for ourselves, for our club, for our fans, and I am sorry for that.

"I am suffering a lot, but I have worked in football for 30 years and I know it can happen. We have to stop this moment quickly."
I've no idea where you've copy-and-pasted that from, but you certainly have not transcribed the interview I linked to in my opening post - as he says none of that.

My "click bait headline" - the subject of this thread - is what he said in the interview I linked to. The BBC did click-bait-it-up a bit with "Seagulls players' motivation is low, admits Roberto de Zerbi", whereas I did actually listen to what he said specifically, although a pedant may point out he actually said "Now we have not a height height (maybe high height) motivation" which I converted to slightly more conventional English.

Edit: From a quick search I see you've copy-and-pasted from The Athletic, which I would guess is from a different interview to the one I linked to because, as I said, much of what he is quoted as saying there was not said in the BBC video I linked to.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
of course not. it's injuries leading to fewer chances, leading to poor form, leading to poor results, and a manager who doesn't want to or cant get the second string to compete, leading to more apathy within the squad.
Yep.

Also, however, giving two players a start debut with Veltman, Enciso, Baleba and Welbs on the bench in a winnable game struck me as a little queer today.

Anyway, at least we didn't have a Salad-style hissy fit from a benched player, like a certain team this weekend....

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
If I go into work tomorrow and my boss tells the press that there is nothing to work for until the end of May, do you think I'll work hard?

He wants out without any compo. To be fair to him, he's going a good way about it. Left by "Mutual consent" incoming where he will go to another team and teach them to do Rondo's in their own box, lose the ball and go 1-0.down in the first 15 minutes.

RDZ hasn’t excused the performance, he’s specifically said that it’s not enough.

However, I believe he’s right in identifying the cause. We’re in a footballing no-man’s land. I’m sorry, this is a clickbait headline being used by people who haven’t listened carefully (or at all) to the actual interview.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It’s amazing that we can be furious Potter has the audacity to leave, then 18 months later with our first dip in form for over 2 years we’re demanding our manager be sacked. Bit of a joke really, only it’s on us.
I once voted "Fence" in Potter out polls probably after that Leeds game when he went into the "History lesson" bellendery but I never wanted him out. I could always see we'd made progress.

RDZ can be so inspiring, brilliant and motivational at his best. Currently though, he is Sami Hypia on steroids. The highs are higher but the lows are the lowest. It's like he's given up. It's almost like we've got his maudlin twin brother at the minute. His best is brilliant but his worst is.so much worse.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
RDZ hasn’t excused the performance, he’s specifically said that it’s not enough.

However, I believe he’s right in identifying the cause. We’re in a footballing no-man’s land. I’m sorry, this is a clickbait headline being used by people who haven’t listened carefully (or at all) to the actual interview.
Agree…….I’m afraid I wasn’t outraged at all when I listened to it, just another honest assessment :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep.

Also, however, giving two players a start debut with Veltman, Enciso, Baleba and Welbs on the bench in a winnable game struck me as a little queer today.

Anyway, at least we didn't have a Salad-style hissy fit from a benched player, like a certain team this weekend....
Is Enciso fully fit? Welbeck finds a Thursday - Sun probably tough too. Would Veltman have made any difference? Similar result and we’d perhaps be asking why he doesn’t play some of the youngsters?

Baleba’s omission surprised me though out of all of those.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Me neither so I have listed my tickets for the last three home games. Buggered if I’m doing a 12 hour round trip to watch the U21s.

I gave up going a few games ago. Using the Exchange or passed to a friend.

Not an ‘entitled’ thing. Instead, bored senseless by a slow losing machine without a midfield, no way am I taking 4+ hours out for that.

The icing on the cake is an hour before KO seeing the likes of bloody Lallana on the team sheet, supported by fellow snails. Almost like Agent Roberto is working for the opposition.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So are some of the players, and loads of the fans……we all need a break :shrug:
I said it on another thread, but our three remaining home games would ordinarily be mouth-watering.

The shithousery of Villa and the chance to dent their Champions League ambitions, the panto-villains of Chelsea and the chance to send Ten Hag on his way with another Amex defeat, but it feels very difficult to get excited about any of them right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here