[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi: "Now we don't have high motivation"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Every time I looked over he was in his seat…..
Obviously I was literally ball watching…… 😃

What is also noticeable is that the crowd are singing his name less
Needs a re-write. How about...

We've got stroppy Rob De Zerbi
He knows exactly what he needs
Loads of cash spent on the squad
If we don't he'll think it's odd
And f*** off somewhere else because he's a hot-blooded Italian type doncha know?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I didn’t watch the game today but can someone explain why he brought on Veltman and Webster when we were two down?

Neither Offiah or Igor were on a yellow, were they both injured, did we change shape and see a positive as a result

On paper seems a strange move to make when you’ve got attackers on the bench.

Does he want to be sacked?

We didn't really have many attacking options when he made that change. Welbeck and Enciso were already on. Fati hasn't done anything for ages and the only other player that is possibly attack minded would be Lallana who is better off the bench to keep things tight when trying to hold onto a lead, I don't think he's someone who is going to spearhead us turning things around. When we brought on Veltman and Webster we appeared to try going three at the back, or that high-bred 4 when defending, 3 when attacking with Barco as the player to push on into midfield when we had the ball, but that didn't really offer us anything different today.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I keep remembering that comment he made last season where he talked about his job interview with Tony. Words to the effect of;

“Tony asked me how I would respond to losing three games in a row…”

And he gives a confident look to camera, suggesting it couldn’t possibly happen, and everyone cheers.

Could we get the serious response to that question now please Roberto?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I’m sorry, this is just picking on the guy who doesn’t have English as his first language. He’s (correctly) pointed out that for most of our season our motivation has been to stay in Europe, and try and get back into the European places for next season, and that with that target being increasingly out of reach the team are struggling to motivate themselves to the level required to compete.

I don’t doubt RDZ (or his team’s) work ethic and desire to motivate the players, but in the same way that this was our first season in Europe, this is our first European “hangover” where we’re out and won’t be going back next year.

Are the performances shit? Yes. Does that mean RDZ has become shit overnight? No.

The players need to look at themselves, and my hope is that after today’s performance they do so. They’re not professional players if they’re moping around the dressing room upset at being out of Europe, they need to shake themselves down and be ready to go again.

The coach can ensure the environment is right for them to be able to do that, the rest is up to the players.

A reset is badly needed on all sides, but that doesn’t (to me) mean throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I’m sure Bloom has been having conversations with Dunk, Lallana, Steele in private to get their thoughts over the last few weeks so will have a good idea on what’s really going on. Doesn’t sound like a way back however.

Having Roberto has been a bit like an extra-marital affair. It was exciting, sexy , fun, short lived - but ultimately unsustainable with a messy break up
Yes, was thinking exactly the same. He’s not showing any interest which rubs off on the players. The senior players will see this and the feedback will be sought by PB and TB. Both sat together today and looking …. Let’s say pensive.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Only one man can save us now

2_JHP_MDM_111119MrMOTIVATOR__06.jpg

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Perhaps part of the problem there isn’t much to fight for now (except the merit money) - next year’s place in the PL is guaranteed, European qualifier pretty much evaporated- all that is left is mid-low table mediocrity - after last season, even after the Europas, it has all come as a big anticlimax

accept it may be an anticlimax but i watched us play some of the best football in recent years under potter at the end of the 2021/22 season when we didn’t have anything to play for. the lack of application right now simply hasn’t been good enough

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly he has given up now
Nothing has changed since you wrote this on Friday:-

I am incredulous how people have turned on Roberto. He has done a fantastic job over 20 months, best ever season, fa cup semi final narrowly losing, winning europa leage group beating all 4 teams Ajax Atens Marseilles Roma being midtable this season nowhere near trouble all season, having our 3 best players sold and not replaced Caicedo, McAlister, Trossard, a nightmare injury list losing key players for long periods.

I am embarrassed to be a Brighton fan sometimes

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Watching him on the side lines the last few games….you can see he hasn’t got the passion he once had for the club.
Just going through the motions now

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Maybe look at what he actually said instead of a click bait headline....

De Zerbi, asked if a tough situation was due to injuries or other factors as well, said: "Injuries, for sure. Motivation as well.

"Motivation in football, I think (that is) 80 per cent of my work and in my time we kept a big challenge, a big target. In this moment, finishing the Europa League, too many points from the Europe position in the table, we are working for not a clear target.

"It can happen. It's normal, but I cannot accept a game without soul, because we are Brighton and we have to keep respect for ourselves, for our club, for our fans, and I am sorry for that.

"I am suffering a lot, but I have worked in football for 30 years and I know it can happen. We have to stop this moment quickly."

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I’m sorry, this is just picking on the guy who doesn’t have English as his first language.

If there is one thing I'm sick of reading it's this. Do you really think he doesn't understand the consequences of what he is saying in a second language? He knows EXACTLY what he is saying. Look at his first interview pre Palace which is clear, inspiring and in total contrast to anything we've heard since Christmas.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
If there is one thing I'm sick of reading it's this. Do you really think he doesn't understand the consequences of what he is saying in a second language? He knows EXACTLY what he is saying. Look at his first interview pre Palace which is clear, inspiring and in total contrast to anything we've heard since Christmas.

Vomit away my friend. He’s stating (accurately in my opinion) the reason for the slump in form. Nothing to meaningfully play for. He can’t single-handedly make the players care, they have to meet him halfway.

You can be sick of hearing it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I certainly don’t think there is any harm in skipping training for a week.

At present they seem over-coached, stale, scared and frankly sick of the sight of each other.

I’d give them all a week off to go and do whatever they want then get them back in and just tell them to go out and enjoy a game of football.

It can’t be worse than putting them through relentless drills and giving them a strict template to try and remember for every single phase of play then going batshit on the touchline when they get it wrong.
I think this a very big part of the problem: stale, bored with the same predictable patterns and getting called out if they do it 'wrong'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports