[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi: "Now we don't have high motivation"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Yep, I just said as much on the match thread just a short while ago, players seem to be really struggling with motivation.

Perhaps part of the problem there isn’t much to fight for now (except the merit money) - next year’s place in the PL is guaranteed, European qualifier pretty much evaporated- all that is left is mid-low table mediocrity - after last season, even after the Europas, it has all come as a big anticlimax - For the fans but I’m sure for the players and Coach too - they are also human - one injury after another for months and months just as you get one back another key player is out - that has got to be demoralising after putting in the work, it must feel like one knock back after another has gradually worn everyone down.

Role on summer.
My heart bleeds for those poor un-motivated players and coaches. 'They're only human' :facepalm: .

I don't want to 'roll on' to the summer with RDZ managing my club.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sadly he has given up now

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
My heart bleeds for those poor un-motivated players and coaches. 'They're only human' :facepalm: .

I don't want to 'roll on' to the summer with RDZ managing my club.
Mine doesn’t but it does upset the fans when it impacts on the results doesn’t it. ‘Our’ Club 👍

Putting this thread on ignore now - because it is just another De Zerbi bashing thread and we have half a dozen of those already zzzzzzz

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
A lot of our key players are either injured or have been played to death - so evident now with this run of form.
He really needs other tactical options - even Man City play it long on occasion.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yep, I just said as much on the match thread just a short while ago, players seem to be really struggling with motivation.

Perhaps part of the problem there isn’t much to fight for now (except the merit money) - next year’s place in the PL is guaranteed, European qualifier pretty much evaporated- all that is left is mid-low table mediocrity - after last season, even after the Europas, it has all come as a big anticlimax - For the fans but I’m sure for the players and Coach too - they are also human - one injury after another for months and months just as you get one back another key player is out - that has got to be demoralising after putting in the work, it must feel like one knock back after another has gradually worn everyone down.

Perhaps they should give training a miss one day next week and go on a day trip to France, do lots of shopping and have a slap up meal :lolol:

Role on summer.
I certainly don’t think there is any harm in skipping training for a week.

At present they seem over-coached, stale, scared and frankly sick of the sight of each other.

I’d give them all a week off to go and do whatever they want then get them back in and just tell them to go out and enjoy a game of football.

It can’t be worse than putting them through relentless drills and giving them a strict template to try and remember for every single phase of play then going batshit on the touchline when they get it wrong.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m sure Bloom has been having conversations with Dunk, Lallana, Steele in private to get their thoughts over the last few weeks so will have a good idea on what’s really going on. Doesn’t sound like a way back however.

Having Roberto has been a bit like an extra-marital affair. It was exciting, sexy , fun, short lived - but ultimately unsustainable with a messy break up

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I certainly don’t think there is any harm in skipping training for a week.

At present they seem over-coached, stale, scared and frankly sick of the sight of each other.

I’d give them all a week off to go and do whatever they want then get them back in and just tell them to go out and enjoy a game of football.

It can’t be worse than putting them through relentless drills and giving them a strict template to try and remember for every single phase of play then going batshit on the touchline when they get it wrong.
Plus, defending set pieces they supposedly practice!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think his lack of enthusiasm is linked to his stock plunging in such a short period of time. I can't think of another example of a manager who has had so much smoke blown up their backside to then go on such an awful run. The buzz we saw a few months ago has gone down to the lowest in our PL era.

I suspect we would feel very similar if we were being linked to a huge career move one minute to being near bottom of our performance metrics the next. He's probably dealing with shame that's felt with personal shortcomings and the realisation that his career trajectory has flipped 180 in such a short space of time.

I'd say he's in a dark place and needs to dig deep to find his motivation, takes an awful lot of character to find your mojo in this situation, I've been there before and needed a reset to come back stronger. Personal failure can be very damaging

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Really? On the stream I watched he was ranting and raving and looking very pissed off
Every time I looked over he was in his seat…..
Obviously I was literally ball watching…… 😃

What is also noticeable is that the crowd are singing his name less

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This season was one too many for constantly improving. Injuries and fatigue, led to more injuries and fatigue resulting in poor form, compared to last season an anti climax and a disappointment.

Summer should be a good time to take stock, fully rest and recover, and hopefully beef up the squad in a couple of areas.

Start next season fresh, and see where we are at Christmas...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Oh for goodness sake we lost a football game the season is over it was over before the Man City game, todays game was a typical end of season means nothing game we will not make Europe, out of any domestic cups, safe for another season cannot be relegated.
When maybe we secretly thought this might be the season we win something.
The team has been devastated with injuries and held together with kids and the walking wounded some of whom have decided to get lingering injuries operated upon now rather than late May early June.
It’s quite an unusual season in the fact we are not fighting relegation, promotion or a European spot.
Talk of comings and goings abound of which none of us has any real insight.
With the summer international tournaments upon the horizon and with so many of our players in contention for a place in their national team why risk injuries at this stage.
With all that in mind I am not surprised motivation is low my motivation is low.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont think saying players lack motivation is going to be great for future employment. picking up the players when they are off pace is one of the major differences between good and great managers. amazing to think some thought he might be in the frame for Liverpool a few weeks ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports