Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi Nominated for Manager of the Season - Get Voting!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Fulham manager in running but not the Brentford one. Odd.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Done, despite knowing it will probably be Pep or Smug.
Pep is/was close to being runner up to Arsenal despite having Haaland up front, will be a travesty if he wins.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Very good shout, especially after Scott Parker 'none of them are good enough', O'Neil has done that job with a lot of dignity, no histrionics, they've played some good stuff.
Tbf, Parker was right. It’s the January signings that have made the difference to them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gary O'Neil for me. Pre-season, there was hardly anyone who didn't have Bmuff in their 3 to get relgated, and Parker then made that worse. An incredible job getting them to over-achieve on 39 points.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I am almost certain that it'll be Pep that wins

I am also certain that that Saudi fans will claim that Eddie Howe is a magician for getting top 4 after spending around £300m since Jan '22.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Ok, he's known as Smug Eddie (at least on NSC). Is that because he has a naturally smug smile (if he has) or because he says lots of smug things?
Asking for a friend 👍

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
You would have to be pretty poor at your job if you couldn't get the team/squad Man City have into the top 4,pound for pound I think RDZ is punching well above his weight as is Franck and Roy.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Obviously would like RDZ to win it,but like many on here and no doubt elsewhere it's hard to see anything other than sports media loving Pep picking up the award.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Pep will win but it should be Emery, who has done an amazing job. Unfortunately.

Three of the six managers have just gone with expectations.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We are being too modest. De Zerbi is currently changing the way the game is being played. Only Pep and Klopp have brought such innovation to the Premier League in recent seasons.

It's not just about doing a good job on a relatively modest budget, it's about the way he has done it and the short timescale in which he has done it. For me that is why RDZ deserves it.

Yes Pep may win the treble, but with the resources at his disposal he's really only matching expectations.
Arteta has done a great job in keeping pace with the juggernaut that is Man City, so worth a shout maybe.
Emery, great turn around for Villa, but hardly manager of the season material. Villa have spent a fortune (badly), I'm not sure steadying the ship and organising some decent players better than had been before is award-worthy.
Smug, has no doubt improved some of his legacy players such as Longstaff, Murphy and Joelinton, but I think people are too quick to sweep the post-takeover signings under the carpet. Trippier, Bruno, Botman and now the blossoming Isak are making the difference for the Saudis.
Silva, the weakest of all the candidates for me. I'd rather Thomas Franck was on this list than Silva

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
It's a tough one. I think everyone on that list and O'Neil who wasn't even nominated would be a deserving winner. I think Emery probably just edges out De Zerbi. He inherited a squad in much more of a mess and their points per game since then is a bit better. Although you could make the argument we play better football and are punching much more above our weight. Irregardless I expect Arteta or maybe Smug Eddie to win.

Reactions: SAC

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
They weren't in the relegation zone at Christmas so doing ok
Didn’t say they were. I’m saying their team was improved in the transfer window, and that it had a positive effect on their performances, which it did.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Since 93/94, the Manager of the Season Award has gone to the manager of the title winners 24 times.

In comparison, in the NBA only 6 times since 1962 has the Championship winning coach, won coach of the year. In the NFL, 11 times since 1957.

We all know Pep will win it, it's so boring. Transfer spending and wages should factor, De Zerbi should win by a country mile based on what he has to work with compared to others on this list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here