[NSC] Robert Sanchez

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really pleased for him.......great endorsement for us a club too - absolutely demonstrating the pathway from the academy, importance of loan periods etc.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm really pleased for him and even if he doesn't get any game time the experience will be invaluable.

Can't think of another goalkeeper that's so calm on the ball and his passing range is extraordinary for his age and getting better.

He has lots to learn and has time on his side to do so , Ben Roberts must be as proud as punch at this achievement as well , good luck Big Bob .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://twitter.com/jhdharrison1/status/1396867003114303488?s=21

0799B64D-5AC1-4EAF-B93E-974E7E2CFC8E.png

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I wonder how they arrive at a hypothetical average for that chart? Anyway it is good to see our Bobby top.
Albion's players being in other squads will add a bit of interest to the Euros

Here is an explanation from the guy who tweeted the graph.

ExSaves are calculated by looking at every shot a GK faces & using the shots distance, angle, trajectory, final location, the number of defenders in the way + other things & using historical data to find the probability that an avg PL GK makes the save.

Therefore as a rough example a shot from 40yrds at a tight angle that goes down the middle of goal with all the teams defenders behind the ball may have an ExSave of 99% whereas a central 1v1 from 10yrds fired into the bottom corner may have an ExSave of 10%.

If you sum up the save probability of every shot a GK faces you can then find how many saves an average #PremierLeague GK would make based on the shots they have faced & when this is compared with the actual number of saves we can see which GKs are under/over performing.

Well you did ask.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here is an explanation from the guy who tweeted the graph.

ExSaves are calculated by looking at every shot a GK faces & using the shots distance, angle, trajectory, final location, the number of defenders in the way + other things & using historical data to find the probability that an avg PL GK makes the save.

Therefore as a rough example a shot from 40yrds at a tight angle that goes down the middle of goal with all the teams defenders behind the ball may have an ExSave of 99% whereas a central 1v1 from 10yrds fired into the bottom corner may have an ExSave of 10%.

If you sum up the save probability of every shot a GK faces you can then find how many saves an average #PremierLeague GK would make based on the shots they have faced & when this is compared with the actual number of saves we can see which GKs are under/over performing.

Well you did ask.

It’s quite subjective....in exactly the same way that Xg is (it’s interesting to see the different numbers applied to games from various stattos given the inherent subjectivity in the models) but as much as bigging Rob up, it also kind of confirms what many thought about Ryan too.......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Excellent news and well done Bob! Hope he doesn’t get his head turned when he finds out he’s earning pocket money in comparison to the other players in the squad.......

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It’s quite subjective....in exactly the same way that Xg is (it’s interesting to see the different numbers applied to games from various stattos given the inherent subjectivity in the models) but as much as bigging Rob up, it also kind of confirms what many thought about Ryan too.......

The models are not subjective; they're based on historical stats.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly the sort of player who wouldn't get a look-in in the England set up under our shithouse dinosaur of a manager. For proof of this, you only have to look at how the perma-crap Jordan Pickford continually gets picked over better keepers like Tom Heaton and Nick Pope, clearly because he plays for Everton rather than little old Burnley.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Exactly the sort of player who wouldn't get a look-in in the England set up under our shithouse dinosaur of a manager. For proof of this, you only have to look at how the perma-crap Jordan Pickford continually gets picked over better keepers like Tom Heaton and Nick Pope, clearly because he plays for Everton rather than little old Burnley.

Actually I think Sanchez would be getting a look in with England. I think one of the main reasons why Pickford gets so many games for England is because he's comfortable with the ball at his feet. I agree that Pope is a better (or at least more consistent) goalkeeper than Pickford but he's nowhere near as comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Sanchez is far more at ease on the ball than Pope and is a decent keeper to boot so I'd fully expect him to be in or around the England squad as he ticks all the right boxes like Ben White does.

Talking of whom, isn't it fantastic to have two players from our academy selected for the senior Spain and England squads? Well done to the both of them.:clap2::albion2::clap2:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I really think that picking a goalkeeper on his kicking ability is stupid. Obviously, it's a nice bonus - but I would never pick Pickford over Pope. No chance at all. One is going to make a mistake or two game by game, whether it costs you a goal or not. The other is an incredibly boring goalkeeper, who just makes the saves he should, catch the crosses he should and patrol his area in an efficient and impressive manner. Pope all day long for me and I couldn't care less who is better at pinging a pass.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Our Bob has clearly made quite the impression if this is true

Stumpy Tim

Actually I had a Spanish couple over at the weekend, and he was saying the Spanish press have been talking about this for a few days. Apparently he has been outshining the other two keepers in training

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Actually I had a Spanish couple over at the weekend

I hope they remembered to pick their car keys up out of the bowl as they left.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps Luis Enrique looked at De Gea's performance in the Europa League final and felt his confidence had been affected. He certainly never once looked like saving any of the eleven penalties he faced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports