Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Robbie Robertson RIP

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
A musical giant: In Dylan's backing band, and then The Band, in which he wrote and co-wrote so many iconic songs. Then a varied solo career, including as a soundtrack composer and producer. Martin Scorsese's tribute to him may bring a tear to your eye.

I believe I'm correct in thinking that he was the last surviving original member of The Band. This song is great, and one of the rare Band numbers Robbie took lead vocal on. I'm off to listen to The Basement Tapes, thanks Robbie.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A musical giant: In Dylan's backing band, and then The Band, in which he wrote and co-wrote so many iconic songs. Then a varied solo career, including as a soundtrack composer and producer. Martin Scorsese's tribute to him may bring a tear to your eye.

I believe I'm correct in thinking that he was the last surviving original member of The Band. This song is great, and one of the rare Band numbers Robbie took lead vocal on. I'm off to listen to The Basement Tapes, thanks Robbie.

Garth Hudson is still with us.

What a talent Robertson was; such a great songwriter and musician.

RIP Robbie

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Loved him as the host on 'Call My Bluff'

Yes, yes I know that was Robert Robinson but at the time of this post here are currently three 'RIP' threads on the first page of NSC: this one, Jamie Reid and Doreen Mantle. I'd never heard of any of them, and when I open them I find they're all very minor people. Obviously they mean something to the people creating the threads, but to the rest of us? Perhaps not so much. Not complaining, or saying people should stop doing it, just making an observation.

And apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yes, yes I know that was Robert Robinson but at the time of this post here are currently three 'RIP' threads on the first page of NSC: this one, Jamie Reid and Doreen Mantle. I'd never heard of any of them, and when I open them I find they're all very minor people.
Robbie Robertson minor? If you're not into rock/pop music, fair enough, but to any fan, he's a very significant presence

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was only talking to my daughter yesterday evening about how good the Band was because we’d read something about the Last Waltz.
one of my/our favourite music events ever is ”The Weight” from “the Last Waltz”, filmed in a studio with the Staples Singers - Sublime.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was only talking to my daughter yesterday evening about how good the Band was because we’d read something about the Last Waltz.
one of my/our favourite music events ever is ”The Weight” from “the Last Waltz”, filmed in a studio with the Staples Singers - Sublime.
For me, The Night they Drove Ol' Dixie Down is the song. All the pain of the civil war in just three or four minutes, as well as the bitterness of the North/South divide (still with us today). A fantastic slice of Americana ... and written by a foreigner

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Never get bored of it, absolutely magnificent

RIP Robbie

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
add to that Muddy Waters and Neil Young‘s Helpless.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, yes I know that was Robert Robinson but at the time of this post here are currently three 'RIP' threads on the first page of NSC: this one, Jamie Reid and Doreen Mantle. I'd never heard of any of them, and when I open them I find they're all very minor people. Obviously they mean something to the people creating the threads, but to the rest of us? Perhaps not so much. Not complaining, or saying people should stop doing it, just making an observation.

And apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread.
True, there are RIP threads about people I've never heard of, so I wouldn't dream of replying to them.

RIP Robbie Robertson.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I hadn't realised how much of his music I knew and loved until Radio Paradise started paying tribute yesterday.

A truly exceptional talent. RIP.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That is absolutely glorious
It was always probably my favourite track from the Band, but Pop Staples voice just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.
and Mavis Staples, the Sister who took the lead, is still gigging in her late 70s. We’ve seen her twice in the last 5 years or so - amazing. We also have a DVD documentary about her where she visits and spends time with Levon Helm shortly before he died. They also recorded an album together.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

I’ve only just seen this, I didn’t know.
Bugger!
RR CD “With the Native Americans” is one of my favourites. I’ll play it later and remember him.

Bye Robbie, and thanks.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh no. Just watched The Band on the Music Icons series and resolved to revisit their back catalogue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here