Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rob andrew Sussex ceo

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Last couple of seasons Sussex seem to have been paddling rapidly towards a cricketing back water. Nothing here to suggest any fundamental change in this strategy.

Rob Andrew was one of the last breed of non-professional rugby union players, who managed to train as a professional athlete at Cambridge University. As I recall his A level grades were decidely mediocre and his degree in Land Economics was widely recognised as a soft option for sportsmen and the landed gentry. Whilst a first class sportsman, it is hard to see what he has accompished off the field to qualify him as a CEO, unless the county are looking for someone to take them back to the era of gentleman amateurs.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Whilst a first class sportsman, it is hard to see what he has accompished off the field to qualify him as a CEO, unless the county are looking for someone to take them back to the era of gentleman amateurs.
Well if it means we get another CB Fry and Ranjitsinhji then I'm all for it...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last couple of seasons Sussex seem to have been paddling rapidly towards a cricketing back water. Nothing here to suggest any fundamental change in this strategy.

Rob Andrew was one of the last breed of non-professional rugby union players, who managed to train as a professional athlete at Cambridge University. As I recall his A level grades were decidely mediocre and his degree in Land Economics was widely recognised as a soft option for sportsmen and the landed gentry. Whilst a first class sportsman, it is hard to see what he has accompished off the field to qualify him as a CEO, unless the county are looking for someone to take them back to the era of gentleman amateurs.

Well they're hurtling back to Amateur cricket perfectly well without him. Well, Village if not entirely amateur.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seems a bit of a bizarre choice to me.

As an aside, I'd love to see closer ties between the Albion and SCCC (as a fan of both). Perhaps a mutually beneficial deal could be struck allowing Sussex to piggy back on the success of the football team (reduced membership fees for season ticket holders or something). County Championship cricket attracts such poor crowds these days, it's no wonder so many counties are struggling financially.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting article here. Sounds like Sussex are going to stick to their guns over the cities T20

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I must admit that was my first reaction. But given how we've slumped over the last few years he cannot possibly do any worse.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I must admit that was my first reaction. But given how we've slumped over the last few years he cannot possibly do any worse.

I don't want to be accused of being a club licker (after all, I was there playing my part at the Night of the Long Knives) but I don't think Sussex are in that much of a state. Yes, we're in the second division but we only lost two CC games last year (and one of those when were playing half our seconds), we don't have any external debt and we have a good crop of young bowlers coming through - although we do need a batsman or two.

We also have overhauled our structure so the club is responsible for all cricket in the county. I hadn't realised until I read that piece in Cricinfo that we're the only club to do this. This is really going to bring huge benefits to the club in years to come. I've already seen the effect at local club where there's been far more input from SCCC coaches and some real efforts to promote the game at grassroots.

We may not be Div One at the moment but I think we're generally in a good place

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I don't want to be accused of being a club licker (after all, I was there playing my part at the Night of the Long Knives) but I don't think Sussex are in that much of a state. Yes, we're in the second division but we only lost two CC games last year (and one of those when were playing half our seconds), we don't have any external debt and we have a good crop of young bowlers coming through - although we do need a batsman or two.

We also have overhauled our structure so the club is responsible for all cricket in the county. I hadn't realised until I read that piece in Cricinfo that we're the only club to do this. This is really going to bring huge benefits to the club in years to come. I've already seen the effect at local club where there's been far more input from SCCC coaches and some real efforts to promote the game at grassroots.

We may not be Div One at the moment but I think we're generally in a good place
Very much this. Putting NSC japery to one side then all is about as good as can be realistically expected at Sussex CCC at the moment. Anyone claiming to be a "supporter" of the county club certainly has plenty about which to be positive.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/149...mpionship_game_at_night___full_2017_fixtures/

Sussex will play a Championship match under floodlights at Hove next summer.

Luke Wright’s men are set to take on Gloucestershire in a day-night match starting on Monday June 29 as part of an ECB experiment as it tries to find ways to increase the appeal of the four-day game.

All Championship matches in that round of fixtures will be floodlit with pink balls being used and a likely to start time of 2pm, meaning games will not finish until after 9pm.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
On the subject of country cricket, this was in The Times today:

T20 franchises losing support

Support for an eight-team city-based Twenty20 competition is waning after an independent report commissioned by Surrey found that the proposed tournament would not earn the participants any more broadcast money than one involving all 18 counties.

The report, which has been seen by The Times, suggests that the ECB significantly underestimated the 18-county tournament when it valued its potential broadcast revenue at about £7 million and its favoured franchise-based competition at £35-£40 million.

Counties were told at a presentation in September that they could receive £1.3 million per year each if they agreed to the introduction of the new tournament, which would run in addition to the existing 18-team NatWest T20 Blast. This gulf in revenue led 15 counties (plus MCC) to vote to allow the ECB to push ahead with developing the details for a new competition. Of those counties, Essex, Somerset and Middlesex are understood to be reconsidering their position, while Surrey, Sussex and Kent voted against the proposal.

However, Surrey’s report says that an 18-team T20 competition, split into a Premier League and a secondary division, would bring in “at least the same level [of broadcast revenue] as proposed by the ECB”.

At present counties receive about £1 million in funding, with the report stating that the broadcast value of the county game is actually about £23 million and will increase to about £35 million in 2020, when a new media rights contract will be in place. While this forecast includes all county cricket, compared to the ECB figures that are for the T20 competition alone, few four-day games are covered and the 50-over competition would add little in terms of broadcast revenue.

The ECB was urged to seek a second opinion on the relative media rights values of an 18-team T20 competition, which would allow all counties to take part. It declined to do this, which led to a number of counties holding conversations with media companies and to Surrey commissioning their report, which has been shared with other counties.

While the ECB won the vote in September to move to this stage, the proposals must still be voted upon next year and require a three-quarters majority among the 18 counties, the 39 county boards and MCC to pass.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/eight-team-t20-losing-support-7tj5hnkhd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here