Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of Lockdown - Feb 22nd

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So over 60’s equate for 93% of coronavirus deaths, if the vaccine does work to the % they are saying (85-95% efficacy) we will have reduced deaths at around the middle of next month by circa 80% (assuming 3/4 weeks to build immunity from jabs) and that’s WITHOUT the fact that 25% of people tested positive for antibodies before the vaccine came in in December, it’s a huge % of the population who will be immune and yet we are facing another 3/4 months before hospitality can open or 2 months before someone can get a HAIR CUT?

Please tell me how anyone can explain that logically and even then it will still require the same SD, masks and measures as last summer?

I’m really worried we are entering a world where the government can say we are allowed to meet up with one other household in a park and actually think we are being ‘given’ a freedom back, it’s disturbing. The goalposts have been moved so many times, everything was pinned on the vaccine which has gone stunningly well, yet we find ourselves MILES behind other countries freedom wise, most european countries didn’t close schools and we find ourselves at least another 2 months until our freedoms MIGHT match Italy, France etc

I’m truly hoping this is a case of promise little and over deliver, as I’ve reached the end of my tether.

Lol I’m not even too sure the goalposts are even on the pitch

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So over 60’s equate for 93% of coronavirus deaths, if the vaccine does work to the % they are saying (85-95% efficacy) we will have reduced deaths at around the middle of next month by circa 80% (assuming 3/4 weeks to build immunity from jabs) and that’s WITHOUT the fact that 25% of people tested positive for antibodies before the vaccine came in in December, it’s a huge % of the population who will be immune and yet we are facing another 3/4 months before hospitality can open or 2 months before someone can get a HAIR CUT?

Please tell me how anyone can explain that logically and even then it will still require the same SD, masks and measures as last summer?

I’m really worried we are entering a world where the government can say we are allowed to meet up with one other household in a park and actually think we are being ‘given’ a freedom back, it’s disturbing. The goalposts have been moved so many times, everything was pinned on the vaccine which has gone stunningly well, yet we find ourselves MILES behind other countries freedom wise, most european countries didn’t close schools and we find ourselves at least another 2 months until our freedoms MIGHT match Italy, France etc

I’m truly hoping this is a case of promise little and over deliver, as I’ve reached the end of my tether.

It also doesn't take into account that warmer weather will naturally reduce incidence as it did last summer

Boris has been stung by overpromising and the majority still favour caution ..... so caution is what we'll get.

There are still high numbers of cases and people in hospital, so I agree with the approach.

If we get the chance to accelerate the loosening, that will be politically easier than decelerating

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Italy and France are both showing signs of increasing infections, and their hospitals are also under pressure. We're winning this fight at the moment, lets not throw away all that hard work by repeating past mistakes and letting things reopen too quickly, otherwise we'll be back in retreat very quickly.

Slight difference here though...speed of vaccination..numbers vaccinated

Mind doing a link re hospitals under pressure for France/Italy...the search ive done show Italy for example trending down....

Last edited:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I’m concerned that the more that the restrictions are relaxed early, the longer it will take for us to get back to a proper normal. If you gave the pubs the option of opening their gardens in March, with the possibility of full opening in say June/July, or staying closed until a full re-opening in late April or May, that they’d choose the latter. I know that lockdown is painful, but I can’t help feeling that we ought to wait until say 80% of adults have been vaccinated and then unlock absolutely everything, except perhaps overseas travel.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Lol I think you’ve mentioned the school bit about five times before :)

If we can’t be eating out later in the year then surely somethings gone seriously wrong
Well, perhaps fortunately, there is no more to say about it now. It is happening.

If it turns out to be a bad mistake we can just add it to the list of blunders.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It also doesn't take into account that warmer weather will naturally reduce incidence as it did last summer

Boris has been stung by overpromising and the majority still favour caution ..... so caution is what we'll get.

There are still high numbers of cases and people in hospital, so I agree with the approach.

If we get the chance to accelerate the loosening, that will be politically easier than decelerating

Being cautious, I understand.

I’m sorry but this isn’t caution, it’s unexplainable why its going to be another 2/3 or even 4 months until you can get a haircut or go to restaurant yet countries all over the world are already doing this without potentially near 50% of its population immune and with a LOWER death and infection rate than us. This country is going to be in absolute ruin by June, when they MIGHT give us the rule of six back.

Vaccines were the way out, we were told, yet we face the exact same restrictions as last year at an even slower time scale WITH all of our over 60’s immune to the virus and a fairly high proportion of the general population with natural immunity? It makes no sense.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Being cautious, I understand.

I’m sorry but this isn’t caution, it’s unexplainable why its going to be another 2/3 or even 4 months until you can get a haircut or go to restaurant yet countries all over the world are already doing this without 60% of its population immune and with a LOWER death and infection rate than us. This country is going to be in absolute ruin by June, when they MIGHT give us the rule of six back.

Vaccines were the way out, we were told, yet we face the exact same restrictions as last year at an even slower time scale WITH all of our over 60’s immune to the virus and a fairly high proportion of the general population with natural immunity? It makes no sense.

Like I say, hopefully we'll be able to bring the timeline forward

But I do agree with not introducing multiple measures at the same time, so you can get more of a handle on what affect the measures are having

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Slight difference here though...speed of vaccination..numbers vaccinated

Mind doing a link re hospitals under pressure for France/Italy...the search ive done show Italy for example trending down....

Half vaccinated. Nobody really knows the efficacy of just one jab.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Half vaccinated. Nobody really knows the efficacy of just one jab.

There’s a lot been published over the efficiency of just one jab ..some of it today....plus far greater numbers have been vaccinated here compared to those countries..indeed almost everywhere...so not sure where you are coming from

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I generally think what we've heard about the roadmap sounds about right, decent level of caution, but I do agree on Golf (a sport I don't personally like playing, before anyone suggests personal bias...).

There is absolutely no risk whatsoever to two people playing golf together at the moment. I can't understand why it's being held back to the same point as close contact sports like football. At least bring it back on March 8th no?

If they are going to make a lot of exceptions its going to get real wonky. If you allow golf because there's no human interaction, then maybe you should allow accordion concerts because no-one listens to that shit? And in entertainment parks, maybe you can allow some rides because they are safe and solo and whatnot... And so on, probably a thousand exceptions that could be pretty safe but it would **** with peoples minds.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If they are going to make a lot of exceptions its going to get real wonky. If you allow golf because there's no human interaction, then maybe you should allow accordion concerts because no-one listens to that shit? And in entertainment parks, maybe you can allow some rides because they are safe and solo and whatnot... And so on, probably a thousand exceptions that could be pretty safe but it would **** with peoples minds.

Golf is a tad more popular than accordion concerts...different with you Swedes?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
How do things always get leaked? Surely only the most senior ministers should be knowing details before it released? It’s utterly farcical

The Gov will deliberately ‘leak’ snippets to the media weeks in advance of the announcement as a means of testing reaction and refining their thinking. If the public react badly they can then just say it’s the papers printing nonsense whilst they update their plans.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There’s a lot been published over the efficiency of just one jab ..some of it today....plus far greater numbers have been vaccinated here compared to those countries..indeed almost everywhere...so not sure where you are coming from

I've seen a couple of articles but I am still feeling very cautious about it. I will feel safer when I've had my second jab.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here