Road tax

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

alan917

Aug 5, 2005
If your boss sends you out in a company vehicle that has no road tax, so its odds on it wont have an mot either who pays the fine if your unlucky enough to get pulled by the police.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Surely, as the driver of the car, you are responsible to ensure the car is taxed, MOTed and insured before you set off on your journey?

Edna K will probably know best.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Surely, as the driver of the car, you are responsible to ensure the car is taxed, MOTed and insured before you set off on your journey?

In the eyes of the law, ignorance is no excuse.

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
If it is not taxed it will be the registered keeper that gets the fine, although you could find the vehicle clamped if you park it on the streets, if it has not M.O.T. then it's you as the driver that are responsible and will be your licence that kops it

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's all well and good to say that people should check whether a vehicle they are using is taxed or not but assuming it's not your own why would you ? Who ever checks whether a hire car is fully legal ? I never have. Granted if there is a discrepancy then the car can be clamped or even seized. However the name on the log book picks up the tag. However I think that if there's clearly an obvious defect on the vehicle making it unroadworthy then the driver has to take the blame although I'm not quite sure about that.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
If your boss sends you out in a company vehicle that has no road tax, so its odds on it wont have an mot either who pays the fine if your unlucky enough to get pulled by the police.

It's down to the driver, upto you to check the vehicle is legal and roadworthy before you set off. If you get collared for no Mot or insurance it's your licence that will get the points.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
It's all well and good to say that people should check whether a vehicle they are using is taxed or not but assuming it's not your own why would you ? Who ever checks whether a hire car is fully legal ? I never have. Granted if there is a discrepancy then the car can be clamped or even seized. However the name on the log book picks up the tag. However I think that if there's clearly an obvious defect on the vehicle making it unroadworthy then the driver has to take the blame although I'm not quite sure about that.

Not hard to look at the tax disc though is it :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure exactly how it works but no MOT = invalidated insurance, as does driving without a licence. I would think that if in doubt,don't take it out on the road.

Then of course he may sack you and you will have to claim unfair dismissal..... o my wheels within wheels, what have we started ?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
To tax a vehicle you must have a valid MOT and Insurance. If the vehicle is stopped the chances are that it will be seized and crushed.

This is all at the liability of the owner of the vehicle, your contracted as an employee and your management will have to pick up all liability.

If I was you I would highlight to your Management that the vehicle has no valid / current vehicle tax at least your covering your back side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Both the driver and the owner of the car will be fined. If the car has no MOT certificate either you will be done, along with the owner, for driving without insurance as no MOT means no insurance.

That is not correct a friend of mine is now retired but was a PS in Sussex Police and she tried to get somebody done on that issue as the car had no MOT and the CPS refused to take the case up as the driver had insurance as per the law of the land. If the insurance company refused to pay out a claim because of it that was a different matter. Hence the person got done for No MOT which is just a nominal fine usually less than the cost of the MOT and it doesnt carry penalty points I dont think.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
If your not insured to drive the car , then It will be towed away. You will recieve a hefty fine and multiple endorsable points (think its 6)
It its not taxed or MOT'd then I beleive the registered keeper will be responsible.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the radio the other day a chap from the AA was saying that the law is to be changed soon so that it will be an offense to own a vehicle that does not have insurance. What about people who own a camper or convertable and keep it in the garage and then just insure and tax it for 6 months of the year when they can use it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Both the driver and the owner of the car will be fined. If the car has no MOT certificate either you will be done, along with the owner, for driving without insurance as no MOT means no insurance.

Clearly no MOT doesn't mean no insurance. You can renew your insurance every year, but not get an MOT. You only need a valid insurance when you purchase the MOT, but there's plenty of room for not fully complying if you wanted to.

On the radio the other day a chap from the AA was saying that the law is to be changed soon so that it will be an offense to own a vehicle that does not have insurance. What about people who own a camper or convertable and keep it in the garage and then just insure and tax it for 6 months of the year when they can use it.

I vaguely remember hearing something about this a while back. I think the answer was that the owners are screwed; they have to keep it insured at all times, even if parked off the road on their own private property. They also suggested that this was going to be an issue for those rich people that own a collection of cars (although it is admittedly hard to feel much sympathy for them!).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

So are they doing away with SORN then ?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Clearly no MOT doesn't mean no insurance. You can renew your insurance every year, but not get an MOT. You only need a valid insurance when you purchase the MOT, but there's plenty of room for not fully complying if you wanted to.

Shouldn't the third MOT read RFL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports