Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RMT Strike

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I've heard that sort of rubbish from quite a few managers and they all get the same reply, " I'd rather stick around and make a nuisence of myself it makes your job harder "

Thankfully if thats the case then they are shown the door.

Good thing is that there isnt a union behind them where there will be a mass walkout because you want to sack an UNDERPERFORMING employee.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I've heard that sort of rubbish from quite a few managers and they all get the same reply, " I'd rather stick around and make a nuisence of myself it makes your job harder "
In my experience people that "stick around" and "make a nuisence" often are the root of many a safety issue! I bet your popular!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sounds to me like there is a genuine safety issue here, i've got no sympathy for the RMT when they strike over employees off sick with ankle trouble who are caught playing squash, but it makes me laugh how the handwringers on here turn into nimby's when THEY are affected by something.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thankfully Im neither nimby nor handwringer but I do want to get to work so this fucks me off ENORMOUSLY.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Sounds to me like there is a genuine safety issue here,

It is a genuine safety issue, We've put up with a lot of rule changes for a number of years now and allthough we might not like some of them as long as they're safe we tend to run with them. This one is not safe and thats why we've voted for industrial action unless it's withdrawn.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It is a genuine safety issue, We've put up with a lot of rule changes for a number of years now and allthough we might not like some of them as long as they're safe we tend to run with them. This one is not safe and thats why we've voted for industrial action unless it's withdrawn.
I dont blame you either, sane people dont want a return to politically motivated strikes like in the 70s , but strikers are dismissed out of hand all too often without any question.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Striking never solved anything.

I get the train everyday. Im prepared to take the risk.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i thought you were being rhetorical. members pay subs, couple quid a month i gather. (sure it changes union to union). that money is supposed to (i'd have thought) be put aside for when members need payments in leiu of legal issues, sickness, strike action etc. but apparnetly the Unite union has imposed a "levy" on local offices to raise money to cover some of BA cabin crew's lost earnings. which suggest that all the subs are going straight to the union's leaders, union employees and Labour.

Striking never solved anything.

I get the train everyday. Im prepared to take the risk.

It got my union a chance to talk to my company's bosses and get (hopefully) a new modernisation deal that will stabilise and move the company on that I work for.

Striking does solve things.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It got my union a chance to talk to my company's bosses and get (hopefully) a new modernisation deal that will stabilise and move the company on that I work for.

That rather depends on the company and what it sells. A few years ago I was working in Liverpool where a bunch of workers at a frozen food comapny went on strike even though the company was losing money. There were five factories around the country but the other four sites decided it would be best not to strike (it was over a pay rise). The end result was that the strikers had their plant closed down and the work was farmed out to the other four.

Not all unions give money to the Labour Party now, or should I say New Labour. My union, the CWU are considering withdrawing financial support to New Labour for this forthcoming General Election.

Money comes into the union from members' subs, this get used nationally regionally and locally to support union officials and to pay for union employees who work at headquarters. This money also goes to your local branch to help with the running of the branch.

That rather depends on the company and what it sells. A few years ago I was working in Liverpool where a bunch of workers at a frozen food comapny went on strike even though the company was losing money. There were five factories around the country but the other four sites decided it would be best not to strike (it was over a pay rise). The end result was that the strikers had their plant closed down and the work was farmed out to the other four.

Royal Mail is the company I work for, and the strikes weren't about pay, they were about the difference in opinion between Royal Mail and the CWU on the modernisation plans for the company.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Royal Mail is the company I work for, and the strikes weren't about pay, they were about the difference in opinion between Royal Mail and the CWU on the modernisation plans for the company.

As far as I can see the strike has made a lot of people go elsewhere. I'm not at all anti Post Office and I got quite a lot of stick on here for defending them when they were on strike. Having said that I now go elsewhere for certain things as I lost two parcels during the strike, something that has never happened to me before.

As far as I can see the strike has made a lot of people go elsewhere. I'm not at all anti Post Office and I got quite a lot of stick on here for defending them when they were on strike. Having said that I now go elsewhere for certain things as I lost two parcels during the strike, something that has never happened to me before.

I'm sorry to hear that as I went out on strike, but we felt we had little choice as we felt Royal Mail were being unreasonable and not listening to a variety of issues to do with modernisation.

In my opinion it wasn't just Royal Mail's fault, this so called Labour Government have done their best to screw up Royal Mail since they have been in power.

Anyway as I said to a previous poster the strikes worked for the CWU, before the strikes Royal Mail did not want to talk or engage with the CWU, after they started talking which was helped by ACAS. We now have an agreement to vote on which hopefully will help continue with the modernisation of Royal Mail and stabilise the company.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

problem is the RMT has used strikes too often for trivial matters. remember this is the union that called out the members on the victoria line, due to two of them being suspended (not even sacked iirc) for drinking at work.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
A lot of correct good points made here and a load of crap spouted as well from people guessing. I work for network rail maintenance and have never been a fan of the unions but joined 3 months ago due to concerns with how network rail treat you and safety. This dispute is all about safety and network rail wanted to cut 3000 jobs initially from a already understaffed railway. This is now down to around 1800 job cuts and the way they are going to get around this is to reduce the amount of inspections and, increase the time in which defect rails have to be changed, amongst others. The HMRI rail regulator have stepped in and backed the union on a few issues already so i do believe they are doing the right thing. People may slag the union and strikers off but it genuinely will be an accident waiting to happen if Network rail get their way.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
problem is the RMT has used strikes too often for trivial matters. remember this is the union that called out the members on the victoria line, due to two of them being suspended (not even sacked iirc) for drinking at work.

That is the very point that needed making. They seem to have a case this time but I for one, have been stuck in London thanks to some lightening strike for some very trivial reason and that tends to make people like me who pay fares to pay wages, more that a little scepticle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here