Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rival to Big Picture

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Really? That sounds like a cabal - an inner circle within the EFL - feeling like they can speak on behalf of everyone BEFORE consulting them.

No wonder English football needs an enema.

It's as if they learnt nothing from Swansman and Barber/emailgate.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tell that to Saracens

Indeed. And imagine how the Big 6 would feel if the salary cap imposed on them was one-third smaller than, say, the the salary cap in Spain or Italy. Saracens have been competing in Europe against the French sides that have a much higher cap.

Added to that Saracens were fined £5.36 million for breaching the English cap, whereas when the French clubs have done it the fines have been a fraction of that and - in the case of Montpellier - revoked altogether.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have said it before and will say it again: the proposal is not that far of a workable good solution. From what I can see the proposal is

1. The Premier League cut from 20 to 18 clubs, with the Championship, League One and League Two each retaining 24 teams.
2. The bottom two teams in the Premier League relegated automatically with the 16th-placed team joining the Championship play-offs.
3. The League Cup and Community Shield abolished.
4. Parachute payments scrapped.
5. A £250m rescue fund made immediately available to the EFL and 25% of all future TV deals.
6. £100m paid to the FA to make up for lost revenue.
7. Nine clubs given 'special voting rights' on certain issues, based on their extended runs in the Premier League

In negotiations items 1,2,3 and 7 need to be removed and it looks good.

One of the problems here is that 1 pays for 5

How would you propose funding 5?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have said it before and will say it again: the proposal is not that far of a workable good solution. From what I can see the proposal is

1. The Premier League cut from 20 to 18 clubs, with the Championship, League One and League Two each retaining 24 teams.
2. The bottom two teams in the Premier League relegated automatically with the 16th-placed team joining the Championship play-offs.
5. A £250m rescue fund made immediately available to the EFL and 25% of all future TV deals.
7. Nine clubs given 'special voting rights' on certain issues, based on their extended runs in the Premier League

I could live with 3

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

1 absolutely does not 'fund' 5, though. Item 1 does not generate any funds, in itself.

I agree the two are intrinsically linked - insofar as 5 is the bribe to extort support FOR 1, but let's not pretend that 1 actually NEEDS to happen, to fund 5.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

1 absolutely does not 'fund' 5, though. Item 1 does not generate any funds, in itself.

I agree the two are intrinsically linked - insofar as 5 is the bribe to extort support FOR 1, but let's not pretend that 1 actually NEEDS to happen, to fund 5.

I thought [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] said on twitter that 5 was simply an advance against future payments, so hardly a fix.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] said on twitter that 5 was simply an advance against future payments, so hardly a fix.

That is neither here, nor there.

The bottom line, is that those funds COULD be made available now. In no way does the release of those funds NEED to be linked at all with restructuring of the PL, or with the balance of power within it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That is neither here, nor there.

The bottom line, is that those funds COULD be made available now. In no way does the release of those funds NEED to be linked at all with restructuring of the PL, or with the balance of power within it.

Yes, I agree, the assistance should be made available with no strings attached, BUT paying for it from future income is simply kicking the problem down the road, and could make things worse in a year or so, plus potentially avoiding dealing with the fundamental issues that underlie football.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Clubs complain about not having enough good games for young players to break through. The league cup has been good for this in recent years. The community shield is one game, why does it need to go!? It is one game.

But you've also got the Checkatrade Trophy with competitive games for EFL clubs and big clubs exclusively playing U21s. Scrap that or scrap the League Cup. You don't need both for the purpose you're describing.

I'd get rid of the Charity Shield for exactly that reason. It's one game. Who needs it? What purpose does it serve?

That said, I said I could live with 3, I didn't say I was a passionate advocate of it. Of all the things you listed those are the ones I'm LEAST bothered about either way.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

[tweet]1316267977495457792[/tweet]

[tweet]1316287704846434304[/tweet]

About a million miles from a 'good solution'. It was a completely shameless attempt at a power grab.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think it's to make space for more European games....

Is there a significantly higher revenue for European games as opposed to PL ? I’m not sure Liverpool vs some village in Lithuania in the league stages is more entertaining than Liverpool v Burnley. I don’t even watch Champions League until the SF stage and I’m sure I can’t be the only one. Supporters groups from the Big 6 have expressed their opposition to the plans which may be because they too prefer to watch their team play local opposition. If BT are paying more per game for Europe than they and Sky do for PL then I stand corrected.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Those other elements are also what they want - reduce the size of the PL so they have more time for a lucrative expanded Champions League - and effectively reduce Promotion / Relegation to two clubs, to safeguard themselves that bit further, should they ever have a catastrophic season.

From the POV of a Championship club, these proposals are horrendous - a de facto pulling up of the drawbridge. They would have two additional ex-PL clubs dropping down to compete with (complete with accrued riches and parachute payments), and only two promotion spots available, without having to play-off against an existing PL squad.

I believe one of the changes was removing the payments to relegated clubs

Dale Vince was in favour of the changes minus the vote system - he seems to think it would make it a fairer championship.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
[MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION]

Don't worry. Something up with the presentation of the tags. I tried to edit for you to fix but you'd not done anything wrong that I could see

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont think anything wrong with 3 up 3 down. However Instead of 2. To still involve side finishing 6th in championship play offs could be as is and winner play PL 16th place

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

It is indeed, having been anonymously supplied with a copy of the proposals there is a lot of double counting, sleight of hand and optimistic assumptions in PBP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here