Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Risk assessments and method statements

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I used to drum in to my staff that "The point of a risk assessment is to show that you've thought of all of the hazards, and have identified how to reduce the risks involved to an acceptable level or to eliminate risk altogether in order to ensure that as far as is reasonably practicable, everyone goes home in one piece. A bi-product of this is that you've covered your backside."

Agreed - it's about creating an understanding of 'why' and gaining commitment from all concerned.

No point in doing an RA if it is just regarded as a paper exercise and gathers dust inside a folder at the bottom of someone's in tray. Worse still you could hang yourself if you've identified that there are risks and relevant controls - but then failed to act on them. The findings and controls from the RA should then be implemented in practice so need communicating to relevant staff and others identified by the RA. The other aspect is that whoever is nominated to carry out the RA should be conversant with the activity concerned. If necessary seek advice from a competent source. It may seem a pain but the benchmark is if it seems 'reasonably practicable' then get on with it and regard this as time well invested in knowing you have done what is reasonable and you can then sleep soundly at night.

The associated controls should not only be implemented, but then monitored and if necessary adjusted to ensure they remain effective. Often these controls are 'common sense' but sadly this isn't always a given attribute among some punters - and especially those not experienced in the activity

Cover yourself by having decent records so there's an auditable trail to back you up.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I used to drum in to my staff that "The point of a risk assessment is to show that you've thought of all of the hazards, and have identified how to reduce the risks involved to an acceptable level or to eliminate risk altogether in order to ensure that as far as is reasonably practicable, everyone goes home in one piece. A bi-product of this is that you've covered your backside."

I work for H & S and I would say you are correct.

Risk Assesments and Method Statments are required. ( RAMS)

Its all about controlling and hopefully eliminating risks in the work place.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/Risk/controlling-risks.htm this is a good place to start.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I know that fella, but his question was kinda should he go ahead without one and I was advising pass that upstairs and cover yourself. My boss was similar but has got his act together now.

I think the problem is that RA is a buzz phrase that far too few people actually know what it means when done correctly.

Having worked in Oil & Gas / Chemical Industry we could not 'pass RA upstairs' and nor should we have done, we had the training & expertise to do it ourselves.

I have never done an RA thinking 'I am covering myself', especially offshore it was far too important - presume you remember Piper Alpha when RA wasn't done properly and the consequences of that?

BTW I'm not perfect and I have got some RA wrong in the past. Luckily none of it was serious and once we saw it wasn't right it got revised and new RA (and more importantly controls) implemented so work could go ahead safely.

Jeez this is a tedious thread, isn't about time we talked about Honey Badgers?

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I think the problem is that RA is a buzz phrase that far too few people actually know what it means when done correctly.

Having worked in Oil & Gas / Chemical Industry we could not 'pass RA upstairs' and nor should we have done, we had the training & expertise to do it ourselves.

I have never done an RA thinking 'I am covering myself', especially offshore it was far too important - presume you remember Piper Alpha when RA wasn't done properly and the consequences of that?

BTW I'm not perfect and I have got some RA wrong in the past. Luckily none of it was serious and once we saw it wasn't right it got revised and new RA (and more importantly controls) implemented so work could go ahead safely.

Jeez this is a tedious thread, isn't about time we talked about Honey Badgers?

Piper Alpha was a result of a 'misplaced' permit to work which should have prevented a particular system under repair from being started up. We shall never know the real reason as the rig is on the bottom of the North Sea and all of the key witnesses lost their lives.
It was as a result of this tragedy that all safety issues regarding oil exploration in the North Sea were handed over to the Health and Safety commission.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Been asked to decommission a 10 ton machine, get it loaded onto a lorry and recommission it 70 miles away from where it's sited.
The company hasn't done a risk assessment or method statement for these works.
Anyone know the legal requirements for this before I say no to this job?

Let us know the outcome Moggy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here