glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Terry

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Absolutely gutted, the selfish me says that's about 20 discworld books lost because of his alzheimer's but I'm even more gutted that he's died at just 66. Worst news I've had in a long time. RIP.

Incidentally he's a lifelong cricket fan, hope that Bangladesh game wasn't last one he watched :(

Last edited:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Wonderful man, lasted so much longer than expected. Sad news indeed :(

RIP Terry.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Anyone remember the name of the book with a spell that got out of hand at unseen university and had hilarious consequences throughout the building? I have a feeling it may be the first time the librarian changed into an orangutan.

My favourite non "human" was Grebo the cat - if I ever get a cat that is what I will name it. Didn't read of all his vast output but enjoyed what I did - remember in one where Grebo went off into the forest and sat and looked at a large pack of wolves until they all started to feel uncomfortable and left.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Anyone remember the name of the book with a spell that got out of hand at unseen university and had hilarious consequences throughout the building? I have a feeling it may be the first time the librarian changed into an orangutan.
'The Light Fantastic', one of my favourites along with 'Sourcery', 'Reaper Man' and 'Hogfather'. Very sad news, have read all the Discworld books but the last two (I think) and they ranks a s probably the best fantasy comedy going for me.

Jul 7, 2003
I loved the humour in his writing. Some of it was very silly - like some of the 'elfish' jokes including one to get in the Kirsty McColl song "there's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's elfish" and the Dirty Harry lines when someone was holding a baby dragon.

Probably my all time favourite was exchange is in Sourcery when Death and the horseman of the apocalypse ended up drinking in a pub and someone stole the horseman's horses.

"My steed has carried armies. My steed has carried cities. Yea, he had carried all things in their due time. But he’s not going to carry you three.” Death was already on Despair, looking at the other three Horsemen in amusement.
“Why not?” War couldn’t believe this. His brother was indeed planning on letting them walk back home.
“It’s a matter of the look of the thing.” Death’s tone was serious.
“It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it, the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocalypse?”

RIP Terry

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I loved the humour in his writing. Some of it was very silly - like some of the 'elfish' jokes including one to get in the Kirsty McColl song "there's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's elfish" and the Dirty Harry lines when someone was holding a baby dragon.

Probably my all time favourite was exchange is in Sourcery when Death and the horseman of the apocalypse ended up drinking in a pub and someone stole the horseman's horses.

"My steed has carried armies. My steed has carried cities. Yea, he had carried all things in their due time. But he’s not going to carry you three.” Death was already on Despair, looking at the other three Horsemen in amusement.
“Why not?” War couldn’t believe this. His brother was indeed planning on letting them walk back home.
“It’s a matter of the look of the thing.” Death’s tone was serious.
“It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it, the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocalypse?”

RIP Terry

I still remember his description of The Patrician,Lord Vetinari's views on democracy " The Patrician was firmly in favour of One Man, One Vote just so long as he was the Man, with, the Vote "

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Honestly I was never a huge fan of Discworld but my girlfriend took me along with her to an appearance he made last year (or the year before) at the Dome and his humour towards his disease really made him difficult to not like!

I went to this too, with obsessed girlfriend. Not read a book of his but thoroughly enjoyed the show/discussion/banter. Afterwards we sat in the window of the tapas bar opposite the dome. TP came out on his own and was wandering around a bit aimlessly bless him. A car pulled out and some chap got out and gently directed/nudged him 180 degrees and into the car. We still chuckle about the time we saw Terry Pratchett being kidnapped.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Gutted.

RIP Sir Terry

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
'The Light Fantastic', one of my favourites along with 'Sourcery', 'Reaper Man' and 'Hogfather'. Very sad news, have read all the Discworld books but the last two (I think) and they ranks a s probably the best fantasy comedy going for me.
Thanks! Will repurchase that immediately!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Colour of Magic is your entry point, It wasn't that brilliant but he improved with time. Later books are a satire on a genre or sub-genre such as Opera, Movies,Newspapers, or a place such as Australia or Egypt. Some characters are a one off but many reappear frequently such as Cut Me Own Throat Dibler, DEATH, The Patrician, Commander Sam Vimes of the City Watch.Very good observational comedy too. Dive in, a wonderful time awaits.

I agree. I loved MORT and Lords and Ladies and a book called Good Omens, with neil gaiman, when the end of the world goes wrong and the hound of hell comes to earth but is adopted by a child who calls it " fluffy" It was so clever how Death spoke in CAPITALS too

This is really sad news but somehow inevitable that it would be so quick. Some of the quotes on Twitter are brilliant and although I thought his last few book tailed off his discworld series was quite brilliant. I always associated myself with lady sibyl's butler, willikins, the psychopathic butler!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
This is a poem posted on reddit by redditor Poem for Your Sprog which I think is rather nice:

The sun goes down upon the Ankh,
And slowly, softly fades -
Across the Drum; the Royal Bank;
The River-Gate; the Shades.

A stony circle's closed to elves;
And here, where lines are blurred,
Between the stacks of books on shelves,
A quiet 'Ook' is heard.

A copper steps the city-street
On paths he's often passed;
The final march; the final beat;
The time to rest at last.

He gives his badge a final shine,
And sadly shakes his head -
While Granny lies beneath a sign
That says: 'I aten't dead.'

The Luggage shifts in sleep and dreams;
It's now. The time's at hand.
For where it's always night, it seems,
A timer clears of sand.

And so it is that Death arrives,
When all the time has gone...
But dreams endure, and hope survives,
And Discworld carries on.

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ysvzb/terry_pratchett_has_died_megathread/

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
This is a poem posted on reddit by redditor Poem for Your Sprog which I think is rather nice:

The sun goes down upon the Ankh,
And slowly, softly fades -
Across the Drum; the Royal Bank;
The River-Gate; the Shades.

A stony circle's closed to elves;
And here, where lines are blurred,
Between the stacks of books on shelves,
A quiet 'Ook' is heard.

A copper steps the city-street
On paths he's often passed;
The final march; the final beat;
The time to rest at last.

He gives his badge a final shine,
And sadly shakes his head -
While Granny lies beneath a sign
That says: 'I aten't dead.'

The Luggage shifts in sleep and dreams;
It's now. The time's at hand.
For where it's always night, it seems,
A timer clears of sand.

And so it is that Death arrives,
When all the time has gone...
But dreams endure, and hope survives,
And Discworld carries on.

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ysvzb/terry_pratchett_has_died_megathread/

That is excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here