Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Sir Tom Finney

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So no moaning when a top plumber charges you 200 nicker for a days work then.
Anyone who can stop a toilet backing up is worth it.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Shame, as a registered plumber, PNE didn't ask him to fix the pitch sprinkler system.
Seriously , R.I P. to an icon.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So no moaning when a top plumber charges you 200 nicker for a days work then.

£200 for a days graft would be fine, but £200 is what they want for 10 minutes work and 20 minutes drinking your tea and eating you biscuits.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A friend of a friend was a Preston lad and big PNE fan, obviously Finney was a big hero. This lad got into some bother and had to appear before the Magistrates, where he had the experience of being told what a horrible scrote he was and was fined well above what he was expecting by the J.P who happened to be his hero, Tom Finney.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Never saw him but my dad and his mates rated him the best winger of his time,more consistent than Matthews.Sad but not a bad innings.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Although mainly a right winger he also played as centre forward and on occasions on the left wing, if my memory is correct. I thought that he was better as a team player than Sanley Matthews.

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
Grew up in Preston and met him a few times, always a very pleasant bloke and very encouraging to all the kids playing footy. RIP

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
My mates were always Stanley Matthews in the south Lancing School Playtime soccer games . I preferred to be Tom Finney - not that my aspirations came any where close to the silky skills of the Preston Plumber. And in his club and international career, the sum total of his earnings amounted to about that which our present day overpaid premiership prima donnas earn while filling the tank of their Range Rovers!
RIP Sir Tom - I take it that respect will be paid at the Hull game.
:bhasign:

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Quite probably or possibly...

1959/1960
ENGLISH FA CUP Sa 20Feb 1960
Preston 2 - 1 Brighton

Yes he did play. I was there. He was centre forward that game.
I still have the programme. There is an advert in it for Tom Finney Ltd Plumbing contractors.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Makes you wonder if the outpourings for Sir Tom from the wider football family humbles any of the modern pros on hundreds of thousand a week.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
£200 for a days graft would be fine, but £200 is what they want for 10 minutes work and 20 minutes drinking your tea and eating you biscuits.

You rang the wrong people didn't you?

Honest decent plumbers are not like this.:).

I'm sure Tom Finney put in a decent shift on the tools and on the pitch. RIP

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You rang the wrong people didn't you?

Honest decent plumbers are not like this.:).

I'm sure Tom Finney put in a decent shift on the tools and on the pitch. RIP

I guess you know your way around mid position valve?

Tom Finney plying his trade today would be a multi millionaire, and that is just from the Plumbing.

Feb 14, 2010
For those who think football started with the "Premier League" just read about Tom Finney. The world is a poorer place. A gentleman, fought as a Desert Rat, and played football.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He was on £14 a week at Preston and was offered a £10,000 signing on fee to go to an Italian club. He stayed for a £6 a week increase.

That's loyalty, some modern footballers could learn a lot from Preston's finest son. RIP...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Club have announced a minute's silence before the Hull game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here