Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I know all that, it's the lyrics from the song Bushy. He had probably had his shot to be honest.

Fair enough Q , tbe thing is , he was in an era packed out with superb middleweights , iv e taken livht refreshments at the moment and im looking back misty eyed at the 80s era of the hitman hearns , the marvelous one , ro erto mansos de pidras , sugar ray etc , davey boy moore , the list goes on

I know the hurricane was a lot earlier but the mid 80s is my golden era of boxing

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fair enough Q , tbe thing is , he was in an era packed out with superb middleweights , iv e taken livht refreshments at the moment and im looking back misty eyed at the 80s era of the hitman hearns , the marvelous one , ro erto mansos de pidras , sugar ray etc , davey boy moore , the list goes on

I know the hurricane was a lot earlier but the mid 80s is my golden era of boxing

You're quite right, we won't see those days again. Too many 'champions' now who don't want to or more to the point, don't need to fight each other.
Go back a few years more and maybe the best of them all..... Carlos Monzon.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your right there. He could have been champion of the world but he would have had to have been a better fighter or had some luck. I always believed Bob till you quoted that.

He fought for a world title twice. So, "he could have been a champion of the world" is an accurate reflection in my opinon.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Never found innocent A mugger of old ladies still he looked good in the film

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Got 11 years for murdering his wife/girlfriend.

That's right. I think she shot him in the leg in the early 70's or one of his women did. There were a lot of them as the story goes.

The only time he got stopped.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dylan did like a anti hero though. He sings - brilliantly it must be said - about Joey on Desire and you wouldn't really know it was about Crazy Joey Gallo.
He was a psycho gangster who rose up through the New York mafia ranks with untold hits to his name. Dylan makes him out to be Robin Hood.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He fought for a world title twice. So, "he could have been a champion of the world" is an accurate reflection in my opinon.

I have always believed that Bob's lyrics suggest that Carter could have been champion of the world if he had not been imprisoned. This is not the case. His career was in decline at this stage.

A year or so earlier He was not convincing in his fight against Joey Giardello despite getting in a few early blows.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Carter. Read his book when I was a youngster and was transfixed by how he never gave in despite the numerous framings.

I like Dylan too.
so he was framed for mugging the old lady that he pleaded guilty to

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
so he was framed for mugging the old lady that he pleaded guilty to

I never said he was a saint.

I'm not really interested in debating this one. Thanks though. Understand people will want to.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sounds like he was a bit of a toerag, let alone "not a saint" , you don't want to debate it because it spoils your poor downtrodden black man story.

It wasn't actually the colour of his skin that inspired me. That's something you've introduced.

I was inspired by his determination to get his conviction overturned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here