Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Private Robert Wood, a BHA fan that lost his life in Afghanistan

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One (very) small consolation is that he got to meet his new baby at least, even if the lad will never, tragically, remember him. I'm glad his Mum will be able to tell him how thrilled his Dad was and how much he loved him.

The chap I mentioned in my post above was killed less than two weeks before his first child was due to be born :(

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Bloody hell, to die on active duty in an accident will somehow seem even worse to all connected. I say this with experience as one of my best oppo's died in an accident on the flight deck of Invincible the day after the surrender of the Falklands. Even now it's so hard for his family to accept the loss.
Condolences to all the family & all his mates; so sad.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Robert and thank you

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Was great that Robert's baby son and family witnessed Albion getting promoted the other night.

I didn't know him, personally, but news of his untimely death - and the subsequent eulogies - really moved me. Perhaps because I'm also a dad, and originally from Bexhill.

RIP Robert.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Agree with the above Wozza, also congratulations to Jo from Gully's Girls for setting it all up, as I know she has a huge role when it comes to Help for Heroes events at the club. :clap:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
these lads are all hero's
RIP Robert

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Tragic story.. I'm not ashamed to admit I was welling up at half time.
I hope his family gained some solace from the love on show.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's terribly sad that this man has died in such tragic circumstances. Sadly there are quite a few others who have also passed on without seeing Falmer.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
my nephew flew out on Monday for his first tour of Afganistan, he is in K Company of 42 Commando Royal Marines, he is 22 and although he has grown up massive amounts since he joined and is well ready and well trained for his tour, you cannot stop worrying for his safety, I hope my family never have to go through what Roberts family have gone through, seeing them on Tuesday really brought home what the ultimate sacrifise my nephew is making...

RIP Robert and I hope your son grows up massivley proud what you died doing....I am........

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The parents of a soldier killed in Afghanistan have promised to fulfil his wish of seeing his baby son wearing a Brighton and Hove Albion strip.

Private Robert Wood only met his newborn son Noah once before he went to Camp Bastion.

The 28-year-old port operator died in a fire at the camp last week, leaving behind Noah, now three-months-old, and partner Becky Day.

Pte Wood’s parents, Alison and Graham, of Turkey Road, Bexhill, are now determined to see ensure their grandson never forgets his father.

Mrs Wood, 57, said: “Rob came home in October and saw Noah. He had two weeks with his son.

“I have some little film clips of them that at the time I didn’t think much about, but now they mean so much.

“Noah’s exactly like his dad. He’s really smiley and happy and has an eye for the ladies already.

“We are only just beginning to come to terms with what has happened, but it is such a comfort to us to have Noah.

“Rob was an Albion fan, but because of the job he couldn’t get to many games.

“But he still followed them avidly online from Afghanistan, finding out the results and when ever he phoned or wrote he was always talking about them.

“The first thing he was going to do when he got back was get Noah an Albion shirt.”

Pte Wood was in the 17 Port and Maritime Regiment, part of the Royal Logistic Corps, stationed at the Marchwood Military Port in Hampshire. Pte Wood, known as Woody, and a second soldier Private Dean Hutchinson, of Wiltshire, died in the blaze last Monday (FEB 14).

The Ministry of Defence has launched an investigation, but a spokesman described it as a domestic fire that occurred in the workplace.

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove Albion said the club would be honoured to donate Noah his first football kit and said the club would do whatever they could to help Pte Wood’s family “through what must be an unimaginable period of grief”.

Thought that was one of the shoddiest-handled things I've ever had the misfortune to see at Withdean. Respect to the club for trying to do right by baby Noah and his family, but fact is, it was done at half-time, the announcements were only audible in the bogs, and 80% of the South Stand had zero idea what was occuring, on account of being queueing for the bogs or the dogburgers at the time.

Sooner we get out of this worthless shithole the better.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Was quite emotional to see that presentation the other night, must have been a very hard and yet very proud moment for Robert's family.

While we're on this sad subject, I might just take the opportunity to thank everyone on NSC who sponsored me for the marathon last weekend. I know times are tough, but plenty of people on here chipped in, for which I am massively grateful, and Help For Heroes were about £1100.00 better off as a result. So thank you all :bowdown:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
my nephew flew out on Monday for his first tour of Afganistan, he is in K Company of 42 Commando Royal Marines,
he is in good company chucky, thats my old mob :)

ive lost a fair few friends over a few 'conflicts'
you would have thought that the experience of it kinda hardens you to it.....but it doesnt.
massive respect to all serving at the moment, and all that do in the future :bowdown:

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
An asset to his family and to Sussex.

Well played to everyone involved from Jo to the Club to the family - a tribute that shouldn't have ever have been needed but one that was done with dignity and presented well.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
the announcements were only audible in the bogs, and 80% of the South Stand had zero idea what was occuring, on account of being queueing for the bogs or the dogburgers at the time.

Could hear fine from the Family Stand. And it was covered well in the programme.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here