Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Norman Hunter

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I couldn't agree more Harry. Anyone who watched footie through the 70s basically lived a very dangerous life. Yes it seemed like fun as you say but I look back with horror and a thorough shake of the head.

Mate, I look back at your antics at Boothferry Park 20 years ago with a shake of my head :lolol: :wink::thumbsup:

Yes, it was 20 years ago. Absolutely staggering :eek::mad::wozza:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But at least in those days pride drove them to have a stand-up fight and take a punch, unlike today's players when the slightest touch of the hand causes them to immediately collapse as though they have been shot.

Rose tinted spectacles.

The Hunter Lee exchange is remembered because it was so rare, and it had nothing to do with pride. It was about intimidation, it was snide and, in Hunter's case (he says it was the first and last time he ever hit anyone), it backfired when Lee lost the plot. Nobody stood up to 'take a punch'.

Players don't do that today not least because they'd get three months inside for assault.

The diving and cheating, likewise, has nothing to do with what you imply, a lack of pride. It is just yet more gamesmanship, like the threats, snide violence (like the Giles assault on Keegan) and racism that blighted footy in the 70s. It isn't an 'either or' - I'd be as glad as you to see the back of diving.

Hopefully this will disappear when the officials have worked out how to use VAR properly :wink:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Same for me.
I, 1st went to the Goldstone in 1964 when we were in the 4th division and have followed Albion ever since
Like your school, everyone at my school followed a 1st division club and Leeds were the underdog in 1965 cup final v Liverpool, and so I wanted them to win.
They didnt win but they became my 2nd club, never my main team, that has been and always will be The Albion.
In the late 60's and early 70's under Revie, they went on to become one of the top clubs and more fashionable, although they picked up the nickname of Dirty Leeds
because of the tactics Revie employed and they were soon dispised by everyone but Leeds fans,.

Love them or hate them, they had a team of internationals and some great players.

Mine is a similar story to yours and HWT. First watched the Albion in the 60s and they became my first love. But the Leeds team of the late 60s / early 70s was fantastic and I enjoyed having a chat with Eddie Gray at the back of the North Stand when Leeds played at Withdean.

RIP number 6 Norman.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
RIP Norman Hunter, a giant of the game and a Leeds legend.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He was a massive player for Leeds and played in probably the best Leeds team ever.

Despite the unique hatred of Leeds he was a player most other teams of that era would have welcomed with open arms.

RIP a football legend

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unfortunately, the only time I saw him play live was when he replaced Bobby Moore against Poland in 1973. Shame, because he was better than that. Go bite some legs up there Norman. RIP

Back on topic....

I saw him live at Stamford Bridge in 1970, at The Dell in around 73 and at Shitehole Park around 76. The Leeds team was pretty much the same in each of these games (76 team was the most different with Cherrie, Currie, Jordan and McQueen). Never saw them again till we beat them at Withdean. Emotional (I loved it).

I still think that the idea that we have a player on loan there now, that they adore and think they can snaffle off us, but can't, and won't, and that most of our supporters have little idea who Ben White even is, fills me with enormous Brighton and Hove Albion pride. I think that from what I have written about how much leeds used to mean to me (cried myself to sleep when Celtic knocked 'us' out of the European cup at the semi final stage in 1970 ish) you can appreciate how much I love my Brighton and Hove Albion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now that was humour, I was on top form. Even the Hull fans were laughing.

Apart from the one who eventually felt he had to move seats.

But it was very funny. Which I why I still remember it fondly :lolol::bowdown::cheers:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
that was a really great Leeds team

if I really thought about it,I reckon I could name the whole team

Hunter was part of that,so he must have been a really good player

unfortunately all I can remember is the missed tackle on the Polish winger and the Franny Lee punch up

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
that was a really great Leeds team

if I really thought about it,I reckon I could name the whole team

Hunter was part of that,so he must have been a really good player

unfortunately all I can remember is the missed tackle on the Polish winger and the Franny Lee punch up

I know it’s sad that I can remember it, but they were fantastic and the line up ( and shirt numbers) of the best team was: 1.Sprake 2. Reaney 3. Cooper 4. Bremner 5. Charlton 6. Hunter 7. Lorimer 8. Clarke 9. Jones 10. Giles 11. Gray Subs from Madely and Bates ( only one allowed at the time I think).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here