Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] RIP Michael Robinson

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I was thinking about this earlier - but can't remember where this interview was. It wasn't in a programme interview was it? Anyone know? It also got me thinking that Bobby Z also admitted that he didn't particularly like football, and it was just a job to him.

[TWEET]1255169225808887809[/TWEET]

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
There is no record of an Arthur Robinson having made a football league appearance at the excellent Hugman's Footballers website - Barry Hugman's Footballers

I guess it is possible his dad was a pro who never played in a first-team match, or perhaps he was more of a trialist than a contract professional.

It's strange considering he mentions three different clubs, Brighton, Aston Villa and Wrexham. Maybe his dad was fond of spinning a yarn to young Michael as a boy and in those days it was much harder to research and check. One of the stories my dad often used to tell me as a child of his WW2 experiences was how he used to shoot the Germans in the bum when they were running away. I never for a moment questioned its credibility. It was only when I was old enough that I was able to work out that my dad was only 6 when WW2 ended.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It's strange considering he mentions three different clubs, Brighton, Aston Villa and Wrexham. Maybe his dad was fond of spinning a yarn to young Michael as a boy and in those days it was much harder to research and check. One of the stories my dad often used to tell me as a child of his WW2 experiences was how he used to shoot the Germans in the bum when they were running away. I never for a moment questioned its credibility. It was only when I was old enough that I was able to work out that my dad was only 6 when WW2 ended.

The first article you linked to also suggested he played for Leyton Orient. He played for a lot of clubs considering he never made a league appearance!

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
RIP or rather Descansa en Paz, wonderful to hear the tributes for him this morning on the radio home here in Mexico from the big Mexican TV & Radio football commentators who recounted stories of him as he commentated at World Cups and the like - huge respect for him in the Spanish speaking world and a lot about him being great fun to be with!!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
What a player he was always willing to chase the seemingly lost ball and a great finisher but much more than that a real team player highly intelligent and always seemed to be a really nice guy 61 is no age such a sad loss RIP thoughts and prayers with his family and friends at this sad time

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
My abiding memory of Michael Robinson was of a player that gave everything and was a proper centre forward. Big, bustling and skillful.
There's a picture of him and Peter Ward on the seagulls site after the game at Anfield in 1983. I was at that game. Robo ran and ran and ran that game to close down Liverpool players as we defended our 2-1 win. I remember him giving one last chase in injury time to put another tackle in and the 3,000 Albion fans cheering him. He was absolutely, totally knackered, but he loved the appreciation. Massive smiles at the end as we celebrated the win, and Robbo could smile! RIP Robbo.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
One of our best ever players, had his picture on the wall and a badge, hard to believe this. Great centre forward and evidently really loved in Spain. A shock. RIP Michael. Thanks for the memories!

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
One of my favourite players. Always gave everything. Will never forget him in the semi and the final. Would be amazing in our current team. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here