Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] RIP Lord Ashdown

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I understand your point about his choice of political party, but perhaps as a liberal, when PA went into politics in 1975 his heart-felt conviction was that the Labour Party at that time wasn’t for him. Apparently he was appalled by the mid-70’s strife in our country, so opted for a middle ground. At that stage he was just another budding politician, so followed his beliefs, not second guessing on mch later becoming a prominent figure.

I don't have any particular issue with him, and as I noted, it is sad he died quite young. I do think it reasonable to point out, however, that he was a big fish in a small pond. To be a great man in politics the first thing you need to do is get elected in the party of government. It strikes me as odd as an 'action man' for him to sign up for a party that can never win. He should have gone Tory and acted as his convictions saw fit. There are plenty of decent tories. He may have done some good things in his time but he was never a great statesman. He effected no change. His biggest contribution, as noted on the TV news, was to his party: he brough a bit of glamour and stardust, and a bit of manly pizazz to a party formery known for gay rights, boycotting South Africa, and dissolving itself under the baleful but beguiling smile of Doctor David ****ing Owen. Anyway, I prefer Vince Cable. He gets almost everything right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
and what is your contribution?

My contribution to my party?

Edit: that was a bit rude (my reply that I have now deleted). You seem to have got the wrong end of my stick. I'll leave it there.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Honest. Straight talking. Had common sense. Stuck to his principles. He was never going to make big waves in politics with those attributes. A good man.

'Brexit is a monumental act of self-harm which will bewilder historians'. Paddy Ashdown. March 2017.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Honest. Straight talking. Had common sense. Stuck to his principles. He was never going to make big waves in politics with those attributes. A good man.

Agree with that, albeit I would replace the final assessment with 'a bit narcissistic, perhaps'.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
My contribution to my party?

I'm sorry but you should probably have stopped drinking an hour ago. You're making no sense whatsoever.

not touched a drop sweetie.

you're quick to judge.

PA had integrity, but your opinion is he should have behaved like tony bliar :ffsparr:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
RIP.

I respected the politician and valued his contribution to stopping the mass murder in the dissolving Yugoslavia and subsequent work in rebuilding Bosnia.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't have any particular issue with him, and as I noted, it is sad he died quite young. I do think it reasonable to point out, however, that he was a big fish in a small pond. To be a great man in politics the first thing you need to do is get elected in the party of government. It strikes me as odd as an 'action man' for him to sign up for a party that can never win. He should have gone Tory and acted as his convictions saw fit. There are plenty of decent tories. He may have done some good things in his time but he was never a great statesman. He effected no change. His biggest contribution, as noted on the TV news, was to his party: he brough a bit of glamour and stardust, and a bit of manly pizazz to a party formery known for gay rights, boycotting South Africa, and dissolving itself under the baleful but beguiling smile of Doctor David ****ing Owen. Anyway, I prefer Vince Cable. He gets almost everything right.

I stand to be corrected, but I think Ashdown was more left leaning if anything, so it would’ve been the Labour Party. I do get your overall point.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I stand to be corrected, but I think Ashdown was more left leaning if anything, so it would’ve been the Labour Party. I do get your overall point.

Labour then....you have to join a winning team if you want to win trophies, make an impact etc. Just weird to not do so.....:shrug::thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

'Brexit is a monumental act of self-harm which will bewilder historians'. Paddy Ashdown. March 2017.

top edit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
not touched a drop sweetie.

you're quick to judge.

PA had integrity, but your opinion is he should have behaved like tony bliar :ffsparr:

'Sweetie'?

Are you a repressed homosexual, using the anonymity of a chatsite to *toss* around the language of Dorothy? ???

Shall I crack open the pringles? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s in very poor taste to use a RIP thread to troll other posters and to diss the recently deceased.

RIP, Paddy.

Who do you think is doing the trolling? Not me.

I made an analysis of Ashdown that went against the flow of arse-kissing genuflection. That seems to have given what's his name a green light to waft homophobic-lite innutwattiendo at me. Nowt to do with taste. :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Paddy Ashdown was a political giant of the last 30 years. His commitment to public service and his political moral compass was never in question, he was almost universally respected across the spectrum which is more than can be said for today's party leaders.

Ashdown restored the Lib Dems as a political force, paving the way for Kennedy and Clegg. He will be sadly missed. RIP Paddy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here