Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] RIP John Edrich

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Bill Alley was right to put a stop to it although it feels like it went on for too long. If Close had taken one of those in the head I don't think the sport would be the same now.
A head shot would have probably killed him at that pace. Holding didn't miss by much.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
John Edrich has the distinction of scoring the first ever four in one day international cricket. Another name from my childhood gone. Forever associated with the England cricket team of that era. I believe in later years he played for East Grinstead? I recall a friend saying a played against him early 80's-ish.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
John Edrich has the distinction of scoring the first ever four in one day international cricket. Another name from my childhood gone. Forever associated with the England cricket team of that era. I believe in later years he played for East Grinstead? I recall a friend saying a played against him early 80's-ish.

He did play for East Grinstead, my Dad also played against him once in the early 80's. Apparently Edrich turned up late to the game with East Grinstead batting first and came in at No.5 and scored 50 not out, with my Dad fielding first slip to him. Then at the tea break he said he had family issues to attend to and couldn't field, so he came over and asked if the opposition could provide a sub fielder for him. The East Grinstead players were far from happy with him apparently, but being a Test player my Dad and his teammates couldn't really say no, so they took it turns to sub for him and went through the motions in the field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here