Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Gerry Marsden

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP

Respect for waging a long campaign to get justice for those that died at Hillsborough

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It was a real jaw dropping moment when I heard this morning that he was gone. I mean not Gerry ! Really? Well , he was one of us .
One of the foremost of the Liverpool sound , an icon of my youth . He had always looked and sounded so young .... He made a couple of anthemic songs in “ Ferry Cross The Mersey” and “You’ll Never Walk Alone” that have inspired us for so long.
I feel old this morning now... RIP indeed.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
NSCers of a certain age will also remember him on the Sooty show in the early 1970's, versatile performer who never forgot his roots, that's in itself is sadly a dying breed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Indeed but carousel was before my time and it becoming a part of football folklore was down to Gerry...

That may be but he still didn't write it and Liverpool should not refer to them as 'his words'. Credit to him for his groups rendition and that it became an Anfield anthem but don't take credit away from the original writers. It was a faux pas by Liverpool but with the best of intentions presumably to get something online quick.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That may be but he still didn't write it and Liverpool should not refer to them as 'his words'. Credit to him for his groups rendition and that it became an Anfield anthem but don't take credit away from the original writers. It was a faux pas by Liverpool but with the best of intentions presumably to get something online quick.

My post has nothing to do with Liverpool FC just that many Brighton fans might recall singing the song in the Northstand with a scarf above their head in seasons 69-71. Its associated with LiverpooI but just another example usual plagiarism of football songs/chants that fans continue to do. Gerry Marsden's version was what made it part of football folklore not the film not the original writers....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
True, but sadly it makes so many people forget the two great songs he wrote. He did do a good cover version of it though!

agreed I guess my point was focussed on football rather than music in general. He was part of several groups who do not get the recognition they deserved. As regards the original song and the writers , not generally my taste BUT one has to recognise their great talent. A song for which ever reason makes the hairs on back of my neck stir.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here