[Music] RIP Frddie Starr :(

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Wonderfully revisionist thread implying Freddie Starr was from a golden age of comedians, "wouldn't get away with now", the tapes have been erased etc...

Sorry but bollocks. That's just a back handed dig at what is perceived today as "political correctness".

He was hugely controversial AT THE TIME and that's why the audience loved him. The television execs quite obviously didn't as he was anarchic and unreliable with an addiction to prescription drugs, although he didn't drink and was a vegetarian.

Whilst societal attitudes to racist (and sexist jokes) have changed, Freddie Starr simply wasn't one of those comedians comparatively. Remember, society was very conservative in the 70s/80s and an unpredictable person such as Starr would have been very difficult to manage.

He wasn't off air in later years because of political correctness (ITV were quite happy to have him on I'm a Celeb), it was everything to do with his car crash personal live, ill health and legal issues.

He was more akin to Frankie Boyle and Russell Brand "at their worse" for unpredictability and a young and mentally fit Freddie Starr would easily get air time today.

Don't rewrite history to fit a political agenda. Comedians like Manning and Davidson just fell off a 1970s conveyor belt of similar comedians, Freddie Starr was alternative and a one off.

I'll pass judgement on the allegations that led him to move to Spain since nothing criminal was proved. He did remember lose the libel case.

Last edited:

Here is that notorious headline. The Sun played on that in this morning's issue, with this as the main headline: FREDDIE STARR JOINS HIS HAMSTER
I really wouldn't like to say what his family would have thought of that!
Screenshot_20190510-222414.png

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Here is that notorious headline. The Sun played on that in this morning's issue, with this as the main headline: FREDDIE STARR JOINS HIS HAMSTER
I really wouldn't like to say what his family would have thought of that!]

Interesting moment in the history of the tabloids, probably the first big story that was completely untrue.

It was planted by Max Clifford to increase the sales of his tour, although Starr subsequently regretted it. Remember Clifford didn't make his money selling stories to the tabloids he made his money from keeping them out, trading rubbish like this so the paper would have a headline.

We'll never know what the Sun was planning to print instead.....

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
As a kid I remember him appearing with Dickie Davies on Cup Final World of Sport 1975 on the hallowed turf dressed as Adolf Hitler, bearing in mind this was only 30 years after the end of World War 2 and specifically the Holocaust, it shows how much times have changed.

I doubt the clip is still in existence.
https://youtu.be/n7Xu1ZNrAOY

Really don't recall anyone being offended at the time due to the proximity to WWII or the Holocaust. What's subjective is whether it's funny. As a 10 year old I loved it!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
https://youtu.be/n7Xu1ZNrAOY

Really don't recall anyone being offended at the time due to the proximity to WWII or the Holocaust. What's subjective is whether it's funny. As a 10 year old I loved it!

Of course, it's just revisionism to fit an agenda. Harking back to a Golden Age that never existed. Same people who moan about the country never celebrating St. George's Day. Completely disregarding the fact that we never really have and misunderstanding (or thickly ignorant of) the COE's attitude to Saints generally. Especially ones that never existed.

Fawlty Towers, Allo Allo and Dad's Army are repeated globally everyday worldwide, including on the BBC. Sorry ? Comedy Nazis are BANNED aren't there ?

Of course not. It's just bollocks - bloke done the pub stuff. They call it Fake News these days or "alternative facts".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I never realised the hamster was actually placed in a sandwich, and was called Supersonic.

RIP Supersonic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports