Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP David Shepherd

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
_46624387_shepherd.jpg

Former umpire David Shepherd has died after a long battle with cancer, at the age of 68.

Shepherd officiated in 92 Tests and 172 one-day internationals, including three World Cup finals.

Shepherd was famous for his aversion to the 'Nelson' - scores with a multiple of 111 - which made him hop at the crease between deliveries.

Shepherd, from Devon, played county cricket for Gloucestershire, from 1965-79, hitting 10,672 runs.

He was appointed as a first-class umpire in 1981 and was swiftly elevated through the ranks, making his Test debut in an Ashes Test four years later.

More to follow.

BBC SPORT | Cricket | Former Test umpire Shepherd dies

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I used to love watching him jump from foot to foot when the scores reached 111, 222 I found this reply to why he did it, anyone know of any footage I am sure the news will show it today.

Your most famous mannerism is your hop when the score is 111, 222... How did this come about?

I've always done it, I've always been superstitious. In fact, if you had phoned tomorrow I wouldn't have spoken to you because it will be Friday 13! When I went into umpiring people said I should carry on doing the hop but I thought I would look an idiot. But I decided to go with it and when I did my second Test someone wrote in to Brian Johnston on Test Match Special and said he should watch this idiot as he'll jump about on 111.

Good memories

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
one of the better umps over the years his superstitions will stand the test of time in the game long after he has gone ,R.I.P Shep

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He once umpired in a school tournament match that I played in at the County Ground Hove. He had decided not to give any lbw's in the tournament, UNTIL our worst bowler got one of their guys completely plum and he had no choice. The same bowler then proceded to bowl about ten wides!!!

David Shepherd LEGEND.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Cricket has lost some great, great men recently.

David Shepherd was test cricket.

I felt a bit choked for his final appearance. I did not realise that the ICC offered him one final test, at Lords, but he turned it down to maintain the neutral umpiring policy.

A true gent has gone to the great pavilion in the sky.

shep1_1511749c.jpg

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
RIP, legend,. The England test side / crowd should hold a minute's silence whilst standing on one leg before the start of the next test match....

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I used to love watching him jump from foot to foot when the scores reached 111, 222 I found this reply to why he did it, anyone know of any footage I am sure the news will show it today.

Your most famous mannerism is your hop when the score is 111, 222... How did this come about?

I've always done it, I've always been superstitious. In fact, if you had phoned tomorrow I wouldn't have spoken to you because it will be Friday 13! When I went into umpiring people said I should carry on doing the hop but I thought I would look an idiot. But I decided to go with it and when I did my second Test someone wrote in to Brian Johnston on Test Match Special and said he should watch this idiot as he'll jump about on 111.

Good memories

Are you saying he did it when he was batting? Would have meant he finished a lot of innings on 111 if so! No woner he thought it was unlucky then, a yorker would have had only half the target covered up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here