Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rip dave mackay ?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
While he had no particular Albion connection, that I know of, I imagine they'll acknowledge it tonight perhaps, given that (I believe?) he played for & managed Derby?

Get Alan Mullery out for a chat pitchside, he was on TS this morning talking about DM.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I cancelled my Sky Sports this month because I was sick to death of the play acting and histrionics of so many of the Premier League pansies and kept turning games off so what's the point of keeping it. . ( I'll watch edited highlights of the diving instead) I grew up watching Dave Mackay who would have been ashamed of any of his team mates acting up. Most teams had a couple of hard men who never shirked a tackle. Where's our Paul Clark.?

RIP Dave Mackay........and a thanks that he and his ilk were my boyhood heros and not the diving cheats of nowadays.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Sad loss indeed. He played with my late Father in Law (Bobby Dougan) in the Hearts team of the mid 50s. They were a pretty good team too with Mackay getting the ball and my FiL , who was later described as 'a Beckenbauer ahead of his time' playing it out of defence. My FiLmet him again a decade and a half or so ago in Qatar, where Mackay , from what I recall, was speaking at a Burns dinner.
Great player indeed.

TNBA

TTF

Wow! Bobby Dougan was in the great Hearts side of the mid to late 50s. They were regarded as being a great team to watch but a bit of a soft touch until Dave Mackay came along and added the steel required.He won the cup and the league title with Hearts before he was sold for £32000 against his will to Spurs in 1959. Even then that was a paltry sum of money for a player of that status.

A true legend.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I remember seeing him play at The Goldstone, beer belly and all, during Joe Kinnear's testimonial. Would have been late 70s I'm guessing. He cleared one off the line in front of the North Stand with an overhead kick. Sad loss.

Plenty of Spurs fans in the North Stand that night. Charlie George did the appropriate hand gestures to the song they were singing about him.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
To those of us who were kids during the 60's & 70's, Dave Mackay was a giant among many giants of that era. Even to this day, I could just about rattle off the whole Derby team from that era. I would struggle to name more than a couple of tonights team.

RIP

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
While he had no particular Albion connection, that I know of, I imagine they'll acknowledge it tonight perhaps, given that (I believe?) he played for & managed Derby?

Maybe stretching it? After Clough walked from Derby, the story goes that Clough was sure public opinion would force the Chairman into pleading with him to return. The chairman called his bluff and offered the job to Dave Mackay. Had Mackay not taken the Derby job and the chairman given in to pressure, chances are we may never have seen Clough at the Goldstone Ground?

So in a very vague (subject to conjecture) type of way, Mackay may have had a part in shaping the future of BHAFC.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Dave Mackay, A hero of my past, a real " Roll your sleeves up " player.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
One of my first memories of football. We lived in Holbrook at the time and Dad took us to the Baseball Ground to see THAT Derby team of 1969/70. What a team that was. RIP Dave Mackay.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Plenty of Spurs fans in the North Stand that night. Charlie George did the appropriate hand gestures to the song they were singing about him.

Cast your mind back and I think you'll find the hand gestures were made by "Rodney, Rodney, Rodney Marsh... Rodney Marsh, Rodney Marsh...Rodney Rodney Rodney Marsh, Rodney Rodney Marsh, ohh, w4nk w4nk w4nk w4nk w4nk w4nk w4nk..". etc.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
My favourite football photo - had it on my wall for as long as I can remember. (Although Dave Mackay actually hated that picture)

RIP.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nicely presented and well observed minute's applause tonight - even if the Derby fans started their own one a minute or two earlier, which is fair enough, that's their right. :clap2:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nicely presented and well observed minute's applause tonight - even if the Derby fans started their own one a minute or two earlier, which is fair enough, that's their right. :clap2:

I think they were actually applauding the tribute to him by the Albion announcer, which then led into the minute of applause :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here