Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Charlie Watts

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I keep reading about him and then listening to the albums again and wishing Stone were number one instead of Ed Shearan.

I suppose all the fans have CD, vinyl etc and not streaming but it means the kids arnt experiencing the magic - but they haver Dojo Cat so that's alright.........

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Another anecdote from the Wonderful Mr Watts

And Charlie's drum sound and technique together with Keith's Guitar and Mick's vocals WAS the Rolling Stones sound :bowdown:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Drummers' Union eh?

All opinions really - I think some drummers were absolutely intrinsic to the band they were in .... The Who, unthinkable without Moon, Beatles, unthinkable without Ringo, Led Zep without Bonham for examples. Other bands just (!) had good drummers - even very good ones - but not irreplaceable.

It’s a interesting point. These specific drummers also brought their character to the fold which was probably just as important. It’s like Lars Ulrich, technically not the best drummer but little doubt he’s an vital part of Metallica.

I’m with Stewart Copeland; Charlie wasn’t the Stones by himself… but you’ll notice when he’s not there.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Drummers' Union eh?

All opinions really - I think some drummers were absolutely intrinsic to the band they were in .... The Who, unthinkable without Moon, Beatles, unthinkable without Ringo, Led Zep without Bonham for examples. Other bands just (!) had good drummers - even very good ones - but not irreplaceable.

I understand the Drummers’ Union comment, but always liked Charlie Watts.

The Who have been unthinkable without Keith Moon since 1978. I seem to remember at some point Pete Townsend saying he couldn’t even keep time properly. A different drummer to the cognoscenti will always, I guess, make a band sound different.

But the article cited elsewhere with the stuff from Stuart Copeland and the Bruce Springsteen drummer was a bit of an eye opener for me.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
And to be honest, that remark suggests that Charlie wasn't really up to speed with what actually made the Rolling Stones what they were. Not wishing to speak ill of the dead - he was a good drummer. But he was more Mick and Keith's drummer than they were part of his band!

Oh dear, you've let yourself down there. To even hint that Charlie was less important to the sound of the Stones is just foolhardy. They were all parts of the whole.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, been listening to lots of Stones over the past few days. Some obvious things sometimes need to be said, but they’re a truly exceptional band.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As an aside, been listening to lots of Stones over the past few days. Some obvious things sometimes need to be said, but they’re a truly exceptional band.

They have always managed to play numbers they've been playing for years like they've just put it all together in someone's bedsit the night before. It took me years to realise they did that on purpose. If you want to know the technical reasons it's because Charlie pushes the bass and delays the snare, and Keith's guitar. It's very simple but all that matters is that it 'feels' right.

Anyone who has ever sat down and really listened to the Stones understands :thumbsup:

It's not what you play, it's what you don't. See Peter Green, Miles Davis, Al Green.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here