Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Charles Kennedy

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Can only add my voice to those so far - he came across as a principled, fair and likeable man. We've lost one of the good ones.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Always liked him when I saw him on tv. Never came across as insincere, unlike so many of the MPs

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I bumped into him once - in a pub.

And how many party leaders can you say that about?

His "drink problem" has been flagged up for years as an "issue". But wouldn't it be better if ALL politicians could freely admit to having personal problems just like regular folk do?

I liked him ....... but I am not sure he freely admitted anything, he was no doubt exposed by other politicians or press.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP, far too early to go

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I bumped into him once - in a pub.

And how many party leaders can you say that about?

His "drink problem" has been flagged up for years as an "issue". But wouldn't it be better if ALL politicians could freely admit to having personal problems just like regular folk do?

I once bumped into Paddy Ashdown in a pub, when he was a leader; the Good Companion in Plymouth to be precise. I would suggest that there's good chance of bumping into the leader of UKIP in a pub also.

As others have said, Charles Kennedy always seemed to me a decent bloke, RIP

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I agree he was a principled man and Found him a likeable character. Let us not forget Robin Cook, however, who resigned over the Iraq War.

John Denham also resigned quietly and without fuss over the Iraq War. He has not died, but he stood down at this election. His seat went to the Conservatives, and I think there is a fair chance he would have held it if he had carried on.

That is not, though, to take away from Charles Kennedy, who always seemed to have the courage of his convictions.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Incredibly sad news. Getting divorced and being separated from your young son, losing your mother, then your father and then your job - all in the space of 5 years.

What's particularly sad is that he had so much more to contribute to the world of politics. He could easily have had a distinguished career in the House of Lords, journalism, as a political advisor.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Incredibly sad news. Getting divorced and being separated from your young son, losing your mother, then your father and then your job - all in the space of 5 years.

What's particularly sad is that he had so much more to contribute to the world of politics. He could easily have had a distinguished career in the House of Lords, journalism, as a political advisor.

If he had not drunk his marriage may have survived and helped him to cope with the loss of his parents and career.Shows the power of addiction when someone so intelligent and with so many good things in his life cannot control his drinking.So sad it had to end this way.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he had not drunk his marriage may have survived and helped him to cope with the loss of his parents and career.Shows the power of addiction when someone so intelligent and with so many good things in his life cannot control his drinking.So sad it had to end this way.

You're not wrong. It's a sobering thought.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Was listening to a program about him on the radio earlier. Saying that he was a very young MP, came down from Scotland and was, as many are, obliged to spend long hours killing time in Westminster, he, as many do, spent a lot of time in the social bars there which is where he developed a heavy drinking habit. Very sad and I always had time to listen to him on various broadcasts, came across as very human who could perhaps have benefitted from more pastoral care as a young MP, far from home with a lot of time on his hands and a lot of pressure to deal with. A good man by all accounts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here