Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Captain Beefheart

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
American musician and painter Don Van Vliet, best known by the stage name Captain Beefheart, has died aged 69.

Van Vliet's death in California, from complications from multiple sclerosis, was announced by the Michael Werner Gallery in New York.

Van Vliet was "one of the most original recording artists of his time", the gallery said in a statement.

He rose to fame in the 1960s with a unique style of blues-inspired rock & roll, later devoting himself to art.

Artists like Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Franz Ferdinand, Oasis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and The White Stripes are among those who have cited him as an influence.

"Don Van Vliet was a complex and influential figure in the visual and performing arts," the gallery said in a statement.

"He is perhaps best known as the incomparable Captain Beefheart who, together with his Magic Band, rose to prominence in the 1960s with a totally unique style of blues-inspired, experimental rock & roll.

"This would ultimately secure Van Vliet's place in music history as one of the most original recording artists of his time. After two decades in the spotlight as an avant-garde composer and performer, Van Vliet retired from performing to devote himself wholeheartedly to painting and drawing.

"Like his music, Van Vliet's lush paintings are the product of a truly rare and unique vision."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Now that is a deserved RIP. Trout Mask Replica is just about my favourite album of all time. I think it's going to be a Beefheart-fest this Christmas, just as 2002 was a Christmas Clash-fest.

I knew Beefheart was ill so it's not a total shock but it's upsetting to think that one of the greatest geniuses of popular music is no more.

Altogether now - " a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag, is fast and bulbous. Got me?" We most certainly did.

RIP The mighty captain

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Captain Beefheart at the Dome was the first gig I ever went to. I rarely post but that news got me a bit nostalgic!

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Went to the Dome concert and remember that there was a ballerina on stage dancing for some reason.
R.I.P Good captain you will be missed.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
[yt]KF5lgZpEhuU[/yt]

Some of the greatest collaborations - back together again punk:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Having no experience of the Beefmeister if there was one album of his that you'd have to own would it be Trout Mask Replica?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having no experience of the Beefmeister if there was one album of his that you'd have to own would it be Trout Mask Replica?

It's his masterpiece there's no doubt about that but it's not the most accessible album (to put it mildly). People generally love or hate TMR - there are no half measures.

The Spotlight Kid or Safe as Milk (featuring a young Ry Cooder) are more appealing. Ignore Unconditionally Guaranteed and Moonbeams and Bluejeans - they tried for a more commercial sound and they're awful, the Captain himself disowned them.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's his masterpiece there's no doubt about that but it's not the most accessible album (to put it mildly). People generally love or hate TMR - there are no half measures.

The Spotlight Kid or Safe as Milk (featuring a young Ry Cooder) are more appealing. Ignore Unconditionally Guaranteed and Moonbeams and Bluejeans - they tried for a more commercial sound and they're awful, the Captain himself disowned them.

Cheers Gwylan. Safe as Milk is cheap as chips on scAmazon so I'll give that a whirl.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP Captain.

No mention of Strictly Personal on here though.

[yt]DGxSiGTmoFQ[/yt]

Truly the greatest. TMR is one of the greatest albums ever, and (by some distance) the greatest album cover ever. I had the pleasure of causing BBC Radio Scotland to play excerpts from TMR on their Culture Cafe show (a first for the show), and then having 10 minutes to expound on why it is the greatest album cover of all time, taking the opportunity to relate it to the genius music inside. An easy task, it has to be said, but something of which I am proud anyway. It's hardly the most radical of stations in its music choice, so making its audience listen to TMR ... most satisfying.

A truly deserved RIP.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
I was at the Dome concert in the early 70's-remember the drummer Ed Marimba wore a pair of knickers on his head throughout the concert.Funny how you remember the little things! Captain Beefheart a Legend RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here