Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Börje Salming

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I know, I know... Swedish 1970/1980s hockey player. Unlikely that any of you have heard of him. He was one of the first European players in the NHL, playing 16 or 17 years for Toronto. When he went to the US everyone wanted to show that Europeans couldn't deal with the toughness of the league but he certainly did.

Anyway, he died from ALS (or MND as I think you often call it over there). What a truly f***ing horrible disease it is:
a year ago he was perfectly fine, probably the fittest 70-year-old man around, still frequently participating in show-games etc.

Then a few months later, in the beginning of this year, he started to feel a weakness in his arms. He still participated in some documentary about himself and his family story (his father was killed in some Swedish mine due to poor work conditions). In June or July he was still pretty ok when he got the result from the doctors: he had ALS.

Two months later, his family announced he can no longer speak and that his ALS was progressing twice as fast as it usually does.

Two weeks ago, he went to Toronto (despite his doctors saying it was a bit risky) to say farewall to the Toronto fans:

Just last week he also said farewell to the Swedish hockey fans.

And now the bloke is dead. Such a hideous, hideous disease, one of the few ones where I'm actually angry at its existence... so rest in peace Börje Salming and hopefully there will be a cure for this nightmare some day so that not more families and people have to go through this.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
RIP to any other obscure sportsman, celebrity, slightly famous person who has passed recently.
Ex Liverpool, Everton & Ipswich striker David Johnson died yesterday , formed a formidable partnership with Trevor Whymark back in the mid 70s . RIP David

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know, I know... Swedish 1970/1980s hockey player. Unlikely that any of you have heard of him. He was one of the first European players in the NHL, playing 16 or 17 years for Toronto. When he went to the US everyone wanted to show that Europeans couldn't deal with the toughness of the league but he certainly did.

Anyway, he died from ALS (or MND as I think you often call it over there). What a truly f***ing horrible disease it is:
a year ago he was perfectly fine, probably the fittest 70-year-old man around, still frequently participating in show-games etc.

Then a few months later, in the beginning of this year, he started to feel a weakness in his arms. He still participated in some documentary about himself and his family story (his father was killed in some Swedish mine due to poor work conditions). In June or July he was still pretty ok when he got the result from the doctors: he had ALS.

Two months later, his family announced he can no longer speak and that his ALS was progressing twice as fast as it usually does.

Two weeks ago, he went to Toronto (despite his doctors saying it was a bit risky) to say farewall to the Toronto fans:

And now the bloke is dead. Such a hideous, hideous disease, one of the few ones where I'm actually angry at its existence... so rest in peace Börje Salming and hopefully there will be a cure for this nightmare some day so that not more families and people have to go through this.

Sad……fvcking horrible disease. Would genuinely want to be shot if I get it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Nice touch from the Maple Leafs the other day...

FB_IMG_1669735403622.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

A colleague of mine went from healthy to dead in the space of two years. I happen to know a bit about the mouse 'model' that has been used to 'discover' treatments. It is one of the most egregious examples of bad experimental design and analysis facilitating a litany of false positive findings culminating in a recent 'breakthrough' that will benefit, er, a maximum of 2% of sufferers. :down:😵‍💫

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Every single Canadian on this board knows Börje Salming or has watched him play dozens of times on Hockey Night in Canada, as I did (in spite of being a diehard fan of Les Nordiques de Québec). Sad to see him pass away with that terrible, terrible disease. A real gentleman off the ice, and tough as nails on the ice. Remember when he got his face sliced top to bottom in Detroit?

I live in Ottawa-Gatineau, so I watched the NHL Hall of Fame pre-game ceremony in Toronto, with -- of course -- Daniel Alfredsson (chants of "Alfie! Alfie! Alfie!" at 11:11), and the Sedin twins (huge Swedish HoF class, this year, eh!) and Roberto Luongo. ALL *very* classy players and people.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here