Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] RIP Archie Battersbee

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Part apologies, my sentiments re the sad story remain, I just didn’t realise that militant Christians were allegedly involved.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A smiling mother and a Tory MP photo opp. This was sick (and I don't mean that in the slang context)

[tweet]1555677002392342530[/tweet]

I know what it's like to have a relative where the life support was turned off. My half brother died aged 21 from encephalitis.

That photo is absolutely grotesque, and looks like a still from a sketch from Chris Morris' 'Jam'.

This has occasionally reminded me of the sketch on Jam where a mother of a dead baby calls round a plumber to 'fix him'. As I pointed out at the time this wasn't meant to be funny. The point is you are supposed to gasp. And yet life mimicks art....

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Christian Concern do some amazing work defending the beliefs of many Christians in this country. Have a look at some of the cases they take on and you would be amazed at the persecution Christians face in this country when compared to other faiths and non believers.

I know a little about Christian Concern and judge their tactics and aims are not aligned with the majority of Christians in this country, certainly not this one.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Hospital beds and nurses are precious.

Time wasters cost the lives of others who are in need.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That photo is absolutely grotesque, and looks like a still from a sketch from Chris Morris' 'Jam'.

This has occasionally reminded me of the sketch on Jam where a mother of a dead baby calls round a plumber to 'fix him'. As I pointed out at the time this wasn't meant to be funny. The point is you are supposed to gasp. And yet life mimicks art....

It’s truly vile and disturbing. You can almost hear the MP ask the mother if she can make the brain stem dead boy ‘smile a bit’ for the camera.

I’m actually quite shocked by this, even taking into consideration how low the Tories have sunk.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I imagine the parents were trying to put off an autopsy for as long as they could.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s truly vile and disturbing. You can almost hear the MP ask the mother if she can make the brain stem dead boy ‘smile a bit’ for the camera.

I’m actually quite shocked by this, even taking into consideration how low the Tories have sunk.

Indeed. It is also disturbing how the news media have presented this in such a neutral manner which, by default, makes it look like a mother's honourable battle to save the life of a child in the face of a cold and stony state and medical community.

Meanwhile, stand by for Thick Lizzy to propose the 'Archie Law', as part of her battle to become supreme leader, once she works out what this law might be. Something to do with british cheese quotas?

I think I've had enough of this story.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There was no viral challenge for a start. Second people taking part in challenges tend to record themselves doing the challenge, he didn't.

He was also depressed and had practiced tying the ligature round his neck and attaching it to his sisters door the night before. He committed suicide.
How do you know that?

I've not seen or heard any story that mentions it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Whatever may have happened, he did not "commit suicide".

Suicide is not a crime, therefore to say "commit" is simply wrong. I know it sounds like semantic pedantry, but on a personal level it's a signficant differentiation to make.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Suicide is not a crime, therefore to say "commit" is simply wrong. I know it sounds like semantic pedantry, but on a personal level it's a signficant differentiation to make.

But 'commit' isn't exclusively about crimes. You can commit to a season ticket, commit a mistake, etc. and it doesn't imply criminality.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
How do you know that?

I've not seen or heard any story that mentions it.

His tiktok account had never looked at anything remotely like this "Blackout Challenge" so it wasn't that either way.

The depression you can see from his tiktok account, painhub was it's name and he liked/made a lot of content about depression.

She said in an interview that the day before she had found him with it round his neck opening and closing his sisters door.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This a really interesting thread, which unlike many on NSC in recent times, has avoided personal abuse and quasi bullying of people who don’t share the same view.

From what I’ve read, it seems the media has a lot to answer for in this story with very selective disclosure. Given what we’ve all been through over the last two and a half years, I am now at the point where I just believe anything they say anymore…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

This. Language makes a difference. A lot of the people I work with have attempted to end their own lives many times, we often have to first aid people who have attempted suicide. Sometimes they succeed. What you say to them or their family makes a huge difference.
Using language that implies guilt or shame like “commit” can have a lasting and damaging effect on people and even fuel future attempts.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But 'commit' isn't exclusively about crimes. You can commit to a season ticket, commit a mistake, etc. and it doesn't imply criminality.

There is a slight difference. But significant. Someone can “commit to suicide” as in they will not stop attempting to end their life, they demonstrate ideation and each attempt is a serious, committed attempt to take their own life.

Yes, commit can mean different things but when coupled with the loss of a life, it will often be associated with a criminal act.

Additionally, the word “commit” implies that suicide is a choice. This is not always the case. Mental health issues and perceived pressures can often make someone feel like they have no choice. The last thing we want to do is make a survivor feel “well, you chose this”.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This. Language makes a difference. A lot of the people I work with have attempted to end their own lives many times, we often have to first aid people who have attempted suicide. Sometimes they succeed. What you say to them or their family makes a huge difference.
Using language that implies guilt or shame like “commit” can have a lasting and damaging effect on people and even fuel future attempts.

Everyday is a school day on NSC and can help improve things :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A smiling mother and a Tory MP photo opp. This was sick (and I don't mean that in the slang context)

[tweet]1555677002392342530[/tweet]

I know what it's like to have a relative where the life support was turned off. My half brother died aged 21 from encephalitis.

Someone tell me that is a sick Twitter Photoshop please. I can deal with that. If it's not, I think I'm going to throw up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s a very sad tragedy and I’m genuinely shocked at how it played out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here