Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rio Ferdinand: “If you said Caicedo came in...he’s not getting you off your seat.”

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With respect Rio, you may have been one of the best centre-backs to grace the Premier League, but on this you are wrong.

When you see Moises Caicedo come from nowhere, deploy his go-go-gadget legs, win the ball fairly from an impossible-looking position before striding forward leaving his opponent in a crumpled confused heap behind him, you WILL get off your seat in astounded appreciation.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Surprising because Rio is relatively close to the club with his son a the Academy so you'd think he knows exactly what Moises brings to the table. Really do think he's the signing that would put Chelsea right back into the top 4 conversation, unfortunately.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Fascinated to see how he does. Like a lot of players looks brilliant for us. But has always looked decidedly average for his country in my eyes.

Chelsea is a pretty dire move. But he will be playing under a top manager.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With respect Rio, you may have been one of the best centre-backs to grace the Premier League, but on this you are wrong.

When you see Moises Caicedo come from nowhere, deploy his go-go-gadget legs, win the ball fairly from an impossible-looking position before striding forward leaving his opponent in a crumpled confused heap behind him, you WILL get off your seat in astounded appreciation.
Dear Rio,
Have you considered taking up a less demanding career than football punditry?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Does anybody have the source and context of Ferdinands quote?
Here you go:

Personally I think he's living through MUFC's past glories. Same as GNev when he was effectively playing down the Mount signing as nothing special. Both of those players, IMO, would (will, in the case of Mount) improve that squad – I'm not quite sure who the ex-players are expecting to get them off their seats...

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
It’s possible that Rio is talking purely from a “showbiz” perspective. I agree that Moises isn’t mentioned in the same awed tones as a Messi or (pre-toy throwing) Ronaldo. To my mind he’s all the better for it.

The question is, does Rio want the best footballers at Man Utd, or does he want the biggest names? Looking at how they went for Ronaldo, I’m wondering if commercial considerations are clouding the Man U board’s judgment.

If so, long may it continue.

Edit: having now seen the video, it’s clear that Ferdinand was just talking about the fact that Man United need a number 9, and Rio’s point is that Man U fans aren’t going to get excited about midfield signings until they’ve got a number 9 that can score goals.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Caicedo doesn't need to get anyone off their seats.

He'd just find a way to move them where he wants regardless.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Another tired opinion given by an out of date 'pundit'. A bit like Souness's words last season on RDZ, he has no clue

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Top 6 fans are in their own bubble, and don’t pay too much attention to us. I had an Arsenal fan the other day tell me that £80m was waaaaay too much for Caicedo, said they should be paying 40/50 tops, but then proceeded to ask his best position & what he does well in the team. Enough interest to tell me what the selling price should be but then seemed like he’d barely watched the player. Very amusing. It’s like some of these “fans” do a little calculation in their head of what a player should cost from a smaller club regardless of what the players quality is.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I mean, for context he was referring to what Man Utd need and how the signing they are all desperate for is a centre forward, so he is right that a dm probably wouldn't get the excitement levels up, no matter how good he is.

But context is boring so "BOOOOOOOOOO"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here