Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rik Mayall, comedy genius, has died (contains binfestery)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Everyone seems to have forgotten the genius that was Filthy, Rich and Catflap. The episode where Ritchie appeared on "Ooo Err Sounds A Bit. Rude" and then gets blackmailed by the Nolan Sisters has to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Filthy Rich and catflap. Brilliant stuff. Filthy after some good fortune 'I feel like I've been locked in an off licence.'.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Why are you pursuing this? So you didn't like him much. Would it be too hard to keep this to yourself for 24 hours?

I honestly believe that the day Peter Ward dies someone will be on this board saying 'Why all the fuss? He was no Alan Biley,' just to get a bit of attention.

I thought we were having a civilised discussion.

I find the reaction to famous people dying fascinating.

I have know people who are more upset at a celebrity's passing than a member of their own family.

Diana will never be surpassed for this of course.

I'll leave it now.

RIP Rik Mayall.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Shut up idiot. His comedy was as two dimensional as Kenny Everett's. And as laugh-free. Just because somebody dies, we don't all suddenly have to pretend they were a comedy genius. IMHO, like.

I don't really want to quote this as it just gives THPP more notifications. To which I'm sure he's spanking his monkey!
Yet I feel I must say ' shut up you spazmo!'.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I thought we were having a civilised discussion.

I have know people who are more upset at a celebrity's passing than a member of their own family.

Diana will never be surpassed for this of course.

I'll leave it now.

RIP Rik Mayall.

Diana? Rik Mayall? Wtf??
You think this is some sort of emotional grief? You dildo!
It's because he was a leader and a part of groundbreaking comedy. Also with a nice political edge. Don't you realise that it's not emotional, it's respect and admiration. That's why so many can recite every line, have grown up with the comedy, felt it, grown from it, learned from it. You haven't a clue and should be totally embarrassed you contributed to this thread in the way you have. ' you utter utter utter baastard!!'.

'The people's poet is dead, long live the peoples poet'

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The genius in comedy lies in being able to unlock that thing which makes us laugh.

He made millions laugh for many years, his comedy there for was genius to millions of people.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

You miss the point. It wasn't because he was famous that so many people loved him.

It wasn't his fame that drew people to him. It was because they grew up with him, laughed with and at him that they loved his work and the person behind it.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
All these years later and it's still brilliant.

Not to mention dangerous brothers, filthy rich n catflap, bottom, Kevin turvey, new statesman, blackadder, comic strip. Genius!

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
His house will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader.

And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead!"

And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Other kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?"

thanks for that memory!

And thanks Rik for all the laughs,

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
For all those people like myself who were being subjected to Cannon and Ball, Little and Large and the like ...Rick Mayall was a breath of fresh air with his alternative, anarchic humour.

Very very much this.

TBH after the Young Ones, apart from his cameos in Black Adder I didn't really follow his career that much. Wasn't a massive fan of Bottom. But so what? At the age of about 15, The Young Ones, The dangerous brothers on Friday Night Live, he was part of my favourite comedies. I will always like him for those times. Going into school, 'Did you see....', quoting bits of it. One of life's good guys.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Diana? Rik Mayall? Wtf??
You think this is some sort of emotional grief? You dildo!
It's because he was a leader and a part of groundbreaking comedy. Also with a nice political edge. Don't you realise that it's not emotional, it's respect and admiration. That's why so many can recite every line, have grown up with the comedy, felt it, grown from it, learned from it. You haven't a clue and should be totally embarrassed you contributed to this thread in the way you have. ' you utter utter utter baastard!!'.

'The people's poet is dead, long live the peoples poet'

:clap2:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What a bizarre binfest.

I think people are saddened because Rik Mayall fostered some wonderful memories for people during their youth. He did something different - bucked the trend - and for many was very funny.

When something sad like this happens it takes us back to our youth and reminds us of our own mortality.

RIP

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I kinda agree with THPP.

I didn't really find Rik Mayall very funny and to call him a comedy genius is stretching the word genius as far as it can go.

I wonder if a great deal of the sorrow is prompted by the fact I guess a lot of people have grown up with Rik as a staple part of our culture and his passing is a stark reminder of our own mortality.

From what I have heard he did seem like a decent bloke though and I'm sad he won't be around any more.

RIP.

Just a tad patronising this. Why bother posting nonsense if you didn't get him?
I feel sorrow because the bloke was extremely (considerably!) hilarious to me, not because of some reminder of my own mortality.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I follow Stephen Fry on Twitter.

He has yet to go to a single play, comedy, musical performance without gushing excessively about how incredibly marvellous it was.

I think his opinions can be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

I wonder how many people who are calling Rik Mayall a genius now would have stated the same opinion 24 hours ago. We will never know obviously.

I would call Fry a legitimate comedy genius though. And I'm not a huge fan of his for sure.

Probably about 100% of them? Just a guess. And no-one else could have done Flashheart quite like Rik.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just a tad patronising this. Why bother posting nonsense if you didn't get him?
I feel sorrow because the bloke was extremely (considerably!) hilarious to me, not because of some reminder of my own mortality.

Here here. Well said. Camel simply soon what camels do best - generate a lot of unpleasant hot air. RIP Rick, comedy and much loved genius who will be enormously missed by 'his' generation.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Tom Tom Tom. Not the time for that. For all those people like myself who were being subjected to Cannon and Ball, Little and Large and the like ...Rick Mayall was a breath of fresh air with his alternative, anarchic humour. You don't have to like him but spare a moment for those who did.
Anyway a 100 days and you can't post on here anymore.

Bizarrely, I have just found this clip

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Probably about 100% of them? Just a guess. And no-one else could have done Flashheart quite like Rik.

Agree 100%+. My comedy experience goes back to the Goons and Al Read plus the Dick Van Dyke Show, but "THe Young Ones" and "Bottom" really made me appreciate THe New Wave of comedians, unlike Ben Elton...

One of the funniest Mayall sketches was on "Filthy Rich and Catflap" which generally got poor reviews. But a sketch where they try to get the Head of BBC Comedy to give them a show was hilarious as he was a character called "Jumbo Whiffy", supposedly modelled on Billy Cotton Junior then recently head of BBC Comedy. He farts during the entire scene.

That character was played by the late great Mel Smith..:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here